If I Interview and Don't Get Emailed, Is it Over?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by metalgearHMN, Jun 4, 2008.

1. metalgearHMN

Pre-Medical
    Interviewed for a research job last friday, and they didn't tell me I had an interview until the day before and we didn't confirm the time until like 8:30 the morning of. Anyways, I'm not complaining because I managed to slap on a shirt and tie and throw together a reference list. Had a good interview w/ lots of laughing (that's good right?)

And now I haven't received an email back so I guess it was a no go? Which sucks because it was an AWESOME opportunity.

PS I tried to play it cool during the interview, but should I have been talking about what a wonderful opportunity this was and how much I really wanted to work there? I just didn't want to sound desperate but thinking back I should have told them I much I wanted that job.

Whatever, just needed to vent because I'm pretty bummed out, the least they could do was send me an email informing me my hopes were crushed.:oops:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ginzo

Medical Student
    What? It ain't over 'til it's over. Did it ever occur to you that they might have other things going on besides trying to fill that job? Just give them a call and see what's up.

4. chad5871

Physician Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    They're also probably interviewing multiple candidates for the position. Just give them a quick call to check in - it'll ease your mind and show them that you're really interested in the position.

5. metalgearHMN

Pre-Medical
    Dude, you're a genius. I forgot they were going to have a second interview day. I guess that puts my mind at ease, but now there is more competition haha. Thanks for the advice guys, I might call them tomorrow if I work up the guts.

6. LadyWolverine

Attending Physician
    After a job interview, it may take the potential employer over a week to get back to you. However, unlike medical school interviews, it is perfectly acceptable (and I dare say an extremely smart move on your part) to call soon afterwards to inquire about your status. I would let them know that you are still very interested in the position, that you are enthusiastic about signing on, and that you would like to know how the decision is coming along (whether they've made one or not, whether or not they are interviewing other candidates, when you can expect a decision, if there's any other information you can send them that would be helpful, etc). You don't want to be pushy or aggressive, but you do need to assert yourself and let them know that you also have "other things to do." I would wait for about a week, and then call. As another poster said, sometimes potential employers are very busy doing other things - filling your position may be on the backburner. Therefore, the ball is in your court, and you need to remind them that you are waiting (be it oh-so-patiently) for a response.

On the other hand, don't be obnoxious about it and call incessantly. 1 or 2 phone calls over the span of a couple of weeks is fine.

P.S. I would NOT rely on email. This sort of business should be handled over the phone.

7. MILK07

MILK07 Silence, I kill you!!

Medical Student
    I was in a similar position a few months ago. I interviewed for a research position and the PI told me she would get back to me. I didn't hear anything for over THREE weeks!!! She finally called, however, and I got the job. Don't give up! I agree with above poster about calling and checking on the status of the decision or asking if you can send any more information, without being obnoxious, of course.

Good Luck! :D

8. metalgearHMN

Pre-Medical
    Just as an update, not that any of you care, I got the job!!!

I was debating on whether or not to call them this morning and I just got a call saying I got the research position. Today rules.:D

9. chad5871

Physician Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Congrats! :thumbup: