If I just received my horribly disappointing MCAT score (already submitted this cycle), am I able to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willowyone

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got back my score from my July 22nd test date yesterday and was stunned with the big fat 499 I saw glaring back at me. Psych/soc totally killed me, which was shocking because that was always strong in my practice exams....So can I retake and have the score submitted for this cycle? Do I need to let schools know if that is what I plan to do? I only have 3 DO schools I've applied to so far (PCOM, Rowan, Touro), so maybe I just need to add a LOT more DO schools to my app list and cross my fingers?? I'm a nontrad and the idea of another gap year is really disconcerting. Any advice would be SO appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

A 499 will make this process very difficult at this point. Lets see what some other members say... but my advice would be to start shooting for next cycle and study your ass off.

If everything else is strong, you MIGHT have an outside chance at a "low tier" school like LUCOM, LMUDCOM, BCOM maybe a VCOM. LECOM likes non trads, but I feel you're a little too low for them.

As much as it sucks, I would probably just gear up for a retake in the spring and apply next cycle. If you worked toward a retake this cycle, you could apply broadly in December/January , but you'd really have to bring it on your retake and the more competitive schools would have some stiff competition .

Edit: Saw you were pre PA at one time as well. You could also spend a month studying for the GRE and take that before getting back into MCAT mode. That way next cycle you know you're going somewhere regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Contingent on your EC's, GPA's I would apply. I personally know people who have gotten interviews/accepted with even lower scores. Again, the key is catering to the schools mission and having a solid rest of your application. (experience, letters and extras).

My verdict: Apply to the newer schools such as VCOM, BCOM, UIWCOM, LMU. If all else fails THEN you get think about a retake.

499 is not the end of the world if you have a decent GPA. 499 + 3.5+ = decent shot.

That being said, you need to apply to MANY more schools. The 3 you listed are probably your worst chances. PCOM is probably the hardest DO school to get into. The Touros are notorious for putting heavy emphasis on MCAT scores. You might have a shot at Rowan if you're an NJ resident. If not, forget about it. Rowan actually will consider an NJ resident with your MCAT if you have a good GPA and ECs, but the few out of state students they take are extremely competitive, with stats competitive at MD schools.

You need to apply to many more schools. If you can afford it, apply to every school who will not auto screen you based on GPA, mcat, DO letter, geography (don't bother applying to TCOM or NYCOM unless you're in-state, and don't bother with Nova, Pacific Northwest, or UNECOM unless you're regional). If you are limited financially, do not SOLELY apply based on stats, reputation, or how new the school is, because these can be very tricky. You should apply based on geography and how well your story fits their mission statement.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to apply this cycle, you have to apply to A LOT more schools. But before you apply to them, go to their website and see what their MCAT score cutoff is. If you're below that, they will auto filtered out your application and you'll just be wasting your money. Apply to newer schools. There are some mentioned above, but also add CUSOM to your list. However, it will still be a gamble, especially since you haven't even applied and it's pretty late (for people with non-competitive scores).

Alternatively, you could retake the MCAT again (recommended) and apply ASAP next year. Like turn your stuff in within the first week. You'll maximize your chances this way and you won't be wasting money.

You know your situation best, and you need to decide what you have more of: time or money. I you have money but no time, apply this year but VERY broadly. If you have the time, then wait.

With that said, people can give you a lot more feedback if you post your GPA and EC. It's hard to give you good suggestions and advice if we only know your MCAT and nothing else.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
If you want to apply this cycle, you have to apply to A LOT more schools. But before you apply to them, go to their website and see what their MCAT score cutoff is. If you're below that, they will auto filter out your application and you'll just be wasting your money. Apply to newer schools. There are some mentioned above, but also add CUSOM to your list.

With that said, people can give you a lot more feedback if you post your GPA and EC. It's hard to give you good suggestions and advice if we only know your MCAT and nothing else

Don't apply to CUSOM if you've ever been arrested for ANYTHING. That includes juvenile arrests, expunged charges and arrests where you were not charged. You'll waste your money and they WILL screen you out.

499 is not the end of the world if you have a decent GPA. 499 + 3.5+ = decent shot.

That being said, you need to apply to MANY more schools. The 3 you listed are probably your worst chances. PCOM is probably the hardest DO school to get into. The Touros are notorious for putting heavy emphasis on MCAT scores. You might have a shot at Rowan if you're an NJ resident. If not, forget about it. Rowan actually will consider an NJ resident with your MCAT if you have a good GPA and ECs, but the few out of state students they take are extremely competitive, with stats competitive at MD schools.

You need to apply to many more schools. If you can afford it, apply to every school who will not auto screen you based on GPA, mcat, DO letter, geography (don't bother applying to TCOM or NYCOM unless you're in-state, and don't bother with Nova, Pacific Northwest, or UNECOM unless you're regional). If you are limited financially, do not SOLELY apply based on stats, reputation, or how new the school is, because these can be very tricky. You should apply based on geography and how well your story fits their mission statement.

Personally it's been a while since I've been on pre-DO and it's been a while since I was familiar with mcat scores. But a 499 amounts to essentially a 23 on the old mcat. The OP should not be applying and should sit down and re-exam how they studied and get a better score. Advising someone to put in thousands of dollars into an endeavor with poor chances of success is negligent.

OP if your score is is weighed down by a single subscore, then your job is far far more easy. You need to sit down and work on psych/soc, figure out why you were getting answers wrong, and maybe watch a few videos on topics you were weak on. This significantly beats being a reapplicant.

Psh, ur fine with a 499 at the lower tier DO schools with a 3.5.

Now, if u have a 3.2, we would be having a different discussion. Focus on newly opened schools and u should be fine

Edit: noticed that you applied to MD schools as well. Yah, you can forget about those this cycle. A 499 is like a 24 on the old score. Plenty of folks get into low tier DO schools with that, but you have no shot at MD programs (unless ur military or an URM).

Personally it's been a while since I've been on pre-DO and it's been a while since I was familiar with mcat scores. But a 499 amounts to essentially a 23 on the old mcat. The OP should not be applying and should sit down and re-exam how they studied and get a better score. Advising someone to put in thousands of dollars into an endeavor with poor chances of success is negligent.

OP if your score is is weighed down by a single subscore, then your job is far far more easy. You need to sit down and work on psych/soc, figure out why you were getting answers wrong, and maybe watch a few videos on topics you were weak on. This significantly beats being a reapplicant.

You have a point, but 499 is more like a 24. Not much difference, I know...

I said this because I have heard admissions officers from a FEW DO schools explicitly say that 498 is usually the lowest they'll consider if the rest of the application is stellar.

Now, if u have a 3.2, we would be having a different discussion. Focus on newly opened schools and u should be fine
OP doesn't have a 3.5 GPA, we don't know what their GPA is. The 3.5 was just a number someone posted as an example.

You have a point, but 499 is more like a 24. Not much difference, I know...

I said this because I have heard admissions officers from a FEW DO schools explicitly say that 498 is usually the lowest they'll consider if the rest of the application is stellar.

Possibly, but I wouldn't recommend applying without having the best application you could possibly have. Do it once, and get in.

Reactions: 2 users

Edit: noticed that you applied to MD schools as well. Yah, you can forget about those this cycle. A 499 is like a 24 on the old score. Plenty of folks get into low tier DO schools with that, but you have no shot at MD programs (unless ur military or an URM).

I'll be entirely frank, and by all means tell me off for this. But if the op can't break a decent score ( above the median, lets say closer to 27 is better), then chances are they'll be in the bottom of their class and be at a higher statistical risk of failing out or failing the boards. The mcat is not just for admissions to analyze, it's for the applicant as well. If you can't do well on tests, how do you expect to do well on boards or medical school style tests which are occasionally 3 hours long? A 23 tells me that the applicant has deficiencies in test taking that they need to spend time resolving, if they cannot and this is their best, then medical school is going to be extremely draining.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be entirely frank, and by all means tell me off for this. But if the op can't break a decent score ( above the median, lets say closer to 27 is better), then chances are they'll be in the bottom of their class and be at a higher statistical risk of failing out or failing the boards. The mcat is not just for admissions to analyze, it's for the applicant as well. If you can't do well on tests, how do you expect to do well on boards or medical school style tests which are occasionally 3 hours long? A 23 tells me that the applicant has deficiencies in test taking that they need to spend time resolving, if they cannot and this is their best, then medical school is going to be extremely draining.

Plenty of doctors are now practicing who received a 24. Yeah, schools gonna suck, but that's the toll you pay for not being good at standardized tests.

There is always dental school

I would tell the OP to cut his losses and consider Nursing, Pharmacy, Optometry, Dietician, Podiatry, Physical Therapy, Alternative Medicine schools.

Plenty of doctors are now practicing who received a 24. Yeah, schools gonna suck, but that's the toll you pay for not being good at standardized tests.

There is always dental school

Different times tbh.

I would tell the OP to cut his losses and consider Nursing, Pharmacy, Optometry, Dietician, Podiatry, Physical Therapy, Alternative Medicine schools.
I think this is terrible and, frankly, insulting. Not everyone 'aces' the exam on the first try. Do you know how many successful physicians there are who performed horribly not only once, but two, three, even four times? People make mistakes...that's part of being a human being. You know the only thing better than being a 'rocks star'? Showing a capacity for improvement. As you seem to have low stats yourself (LizzyM = 65), I am shocked that you would offer such conceited advice.

No matter if you are online or in-person...never kick people while they are down, and never tell people that they can't do something. All things are possible with effort and a good attitude.

However, I do agree that OP needs to improve.

Reactions: 8 users
A 499 is actually closer to a 25. Several DO schools, such as VCOM, WVSOM, LMU-DCOM have had classes for years that averaged ~25 MCAT scores. Also, it was only a few (3?) years ago that KCU averaged a 26 MCAT for their class.

Current MCAT percentiles: https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast..._total_and_section_score_percentile_ranks.pdf

Old MCAT percentiles: https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...7a4/finalpercentileranksfortheoldmcatexam.pdf

OP do not retake unless you are ready. If you have to wait for next cycle, do it. It's fine, Medical schools aren't going anywhere. Don't retake and get a 498 or something and kill medical school chances forever. How were your other sections? Was it just one that was a killer? What happened? Was it test anxiety? Find your problem and fix it before you test yourself again.

A 499 is actually closer to a 25. Several DO schools, such as VCOM, WVSOM, LMU-DCOM have had classes for years that averaged ~25 MCAT scores. Also, it was only a few (3?) years ago that KCU averaged a 26 MCAT for their class.

Current MCAT percentiles: https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast..._total_and_section_score_percentile_ranks.pdf

Old MCAT percentiles: https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...7a4/finalpercentileranksfortheoldmcatexam.pdf
Different times....Way different times...Its starting to get to the point where you need around a 501 at least to start being considered. Back then you could get a 497 and get in, and this cycle, that is going to be a rare rare occasion.

A 499 will make this process very difficult at this point. Lets see what some other members say... but my advice would be to start shooting for next cycle and study your ass off.
Thanks!

If everything else is strong, you MIGHT have an outside chance at a "low tier" school like LUCOM, LMUDCOM, BCOM maybe a VCOM. LECOM likes non trads, but I feel you're a little too low for them.

As much as it sucks, I would probably just gear up for a retake in the spring and apply next cycle. If you worked toward a retake this cycle, you could apply broadly in December/January , but you'd really have to bring it on your retake and the more competitive schools would have some stiff competition .

Edit: Saw you were pre PA at one time as well. You could also spend a month studying for the GRE and take that before getting back into MCAT mode. That way next cycle you know you're going somewhere regardless.

I have a 3.9 GPA, but you've got an interesting thought for reconsidering the GRE....Appreciate the creative thinking!!

Is it really a 25? I'm under the impression a 500 = median score = 23-24. But if this is the case, then he's not extremely shot. But lets be entirely frank though, the averages have gone up in the last few years, DO programs are getting influx from MD students who didn't get in to the point that the average in the coming years will likely be closer to a 28-28.5.

But regardless, with a decent gpa and a 25 you should have some luck with a DO LOR and a very broad application though.

Contingent on your EC's, GPA's I would apply. I personally know people who have gotten interviews/accepted with even lower scores. Again, the key is catering to the schools mission and having a solid rest of your application. (experience, letters and extras).

My verdict: Apply to the newer schools such as VCOM, BCOM, UIWCOM, LMU. If all else fails THEN you get think about a retake.
Definitely, I've been focusing on the wrong DO schools apparently. Probably need to start over on my research...

Different times....Way different times...Its starting to get to the point where you need around a 501 at least to start being considered. Back then you could get a 497 and get in, and this cycle, that is going to be a rare rare occasion.
While I agree that scoring at ~501 and above will give people a much better shot, I will add that VCOM, WVSOM, and DCOM's most recent classes had averages around 25. Therefore, I wouldn't count somebody out yet at all schools with a score of 499.

However, you do need to have solid GPA's (3.4 minimum, preferably 3.5 or higher in both cGPA and sGPA) to pair with that MCAT score.

I have a 3.9...So you think it's a worthwhile investment to apply much more broadly to DO schools this cycle? Just want to feel like I have a decent shot before throwing more $$ into it this year.

Op has a 3.9. This changes everything

OP listen closely to what I'm saying, forget medicine, go to Dental school. Yes, with a 3.9 and a 499 u could get into a low tier DO school, but with that great of a GPA, ace the DAT and become a dentist. They have such an easier lifestyle once they are actually practicing.

If I had a chance to talk with my freshman college self, I'd go to dentistry.

I have a 3.9 GPA, but you've got an interesting thought for reconsidering the GRE....Appreciate the creative thinking!!

Hey best of luck to you in whatever you decide. Forgot to mention WVSOM too. Still recommend shooting for next cycle so no matter what you know you'll be starting school. Going for this cycle would be VERY stressful.

Edit yet again: KYCOM

Last edited:
To provide more clarification:
sGPA is 3.9
cGPA is 3.78
white female from NJ, nontrad
strong PS, great recommendations
500+ hours shadowing
500+ hours clinical volunteering
I do brain harvesting for research
...that's all I can think of

Op has a 3.9. This changes everything

OP listen closely to what I'm saying, forget medicine, go to Dental school. Yes, with a 3.9 and a 499 u could get into a low tier DO school, but with that great of a GPA, ace the DAT and become a dentist. They have such an easier lifestyle once they are actually practicing.

If I had a chance to talk with my freshman college self, I'd go to dentistry.
Seriously? I never would have considered that. Are you saying that because the DAT is significantly easier?

To provide more clarification:
sGPA is 3.9
cGPA is 3.78
white female from NJ, nontrad
strong PS, great recommendations
500+ hours shadowing
500+ hours clinical volunteering
I do brain harvesting for research
...that's all I can think of
I'd say you have a shot at: VCOM (all 3), BCOM, ACOM, WVSOM, DCOM, KYCOM, WCUCOM, LUCOM, NYIT-AR, ARCOM, UIWCOM.
Reaches would be: LECOM-E, SOMA, KCOM.

Also, as for what caused my embarrassingly low MCAT score:
I studied for 6 weeks. I was working full time, in school full time, interning part-time, and had familial responsibilities at home. I did not have much time to devote solely to the MCAT except for those 6 weeks. Went into it with a pretty flimsy study strategy, and took it feeling unsure because I was so anxious to get in this cycle.
CP: 126
CARS: 127
Bio: 124
PS: 122

I studied for 6 weeks. I was working full time, in school full time, interning part-time, and had familial responsibilities at home. I did not have much time to devote solely to the MCAT except for those 6 weeks. Went into it with a pretty flimsy study strategy, and took it feeling unsure because I was so anxious to get in this cycle.
That 122 may really hurt you. What were you averaging on practice exams, and which ones did you take?

Seriously? I never would have considered that. Are you saying that because the DAT is significantly easier?

DAT is much easier. The DAT is like 2 college finals stapled together. The MCAT, as you have found out, is something else entirely.

To put it in perspective, the DAT questions are discrete questions that showed up on the MCAT. Reading comprehension and critical thinking doesn't play as big of a role.

Plus, ur a non trad. Dental school is only 4 years before you start practicing and making 150k+. Medical school is at the very least 7 for family med. those 3 years make a diffrence when you are looking to start a family when ur in the upper 20s. Believe me, I'm starting to feel the pain of time constraints as a mid twenty something.

Just want to say that this is ridiculously awful advice. OP has a 3.9 sGPA, and yes, a not so excellent MCAT score. However, he/she is only ~2 points away from becoming very competitive for a lot of DO schools.

It seems as if, since you obtained a very good MCAT score, you feel it is acceptable to tell others to give up because they did not obtain a high score. Also, if you genuinely think that telling someone to consider going to "Alternative Medicine school" is good advice, then perhaps you should stop giving it.

Reactions: 3 users

With everything else in your app, you could do the typical devoted 3 months of MCAT prep and be REALLY competitive next cycle. I'll turn 32 in my first semester. I absolutely understand the drive to get in ASAP. But after all your hard work, do you want to settle for whatever you can scrape together (if anything) and get going this cycle or do you want to put your best app forward next cycle? Which one will you regret the least? That's a question only you can answer.

Idk why everyone is saying a 499 is a 23/24. Courtesy of Efle's conversion scale a 499 is EXACTLY a 25 on the old scale. However, schools do have very strong filters for below 500 scores.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd say you have a shot at: VCOM (all 3), BCOM, ACOM, WVSOM, DCOM, KYCOM, WCUCOM, LUCOM, NYIT-AR, ARCOM, UIWCOM.
Reaches would be: LECOM-E, SOMA, KCOM.
Don't a good amount of them have a minimum of 500 for the MCAT?

Yes, a 499 IS a 25. 500 is above 50th percentile @tony101
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...centile-comparison-conversion-tables.1143689/

Take a look at that table. Then take a look at the AAMC percentiles for the new exam. It is VERY accurate.

All in all OPs gpa will save her. I'd say give it a shot and apply broadly!!

Hmm guess it does :oops:

Also make sure the school doesn't screen for <500 MCAT otherwise just throwing money away

With everything else in your app, you could do the typical devoted 3 months of MCAT prep and be REALLY competitive next cycle. I'll turn 32 in my first semester. I absolutely understand the drive to get in ASAP. But after all your hard work, do you want to settle for whatever you can scrape together (if anything) and get going this cycle or do you want to put your best app forward next cycle? Which one will you regret the least? That's a question only you can answer.

That definitely speaks to my situation. If i do another gap year I'll be 30 when i matriculate but would then have a shot at the schools i was truly interested in.

Idk why gypsy is recommending you go to dental school. Unless you specifically like teeth or working with your hands, it's probably not the right field for you.

and never tell people that they can't do something.

I get the sentiment, but sometimes reality is needed and the best thing to tell someone. In this case OP has a good shot, so encouragement is needed in this case.

You keep saying stuff like this as if you say it enough then it will become true. The data says you are wrong. Someone with a 500 has a good chance at acceptance paired with a GPA north of 3.2. Not to mention that many schools have an average right around 499-501. If less than 1000 people matriculate with a 501 or less then it will be very surprising.

Just want to say that this is ridiculously awful advice. OP has a 3.9 sGPA, and yes, a not so excellent MCAT score. However, he/she is only ~2 points away from becoming very competitive for a lot of DO schools.

It seems as if, since you obtained a very good MCAT score, you feel it is acceptable to tell others to give up because they did not obtain a high score. Also, if you genuinely think that telling someone to consider going to "Alternative Medicine school" is good advice, then perhaps you should stop giving it.

Just ignore him. He is the current troll extraordinaire of pre-osteo. I have no idea why he hasn't been at least put on probation. :shrug:

no a 499 is not a 25, a 25 is a 50th percentile. A 500 = 25.
http://www.prospectivedoctor.com/mcat-score-converter/

AAMC says it is exactly a 25. They adjusted their percentiles in May I think. The scale went down a few points I believe. I think it was because they realized too many people were scoring highly (<-- just my assumption/opinion)

You keep saying stuff like this as if you say it enough then it will become true. The data says you are wrong. Someone with a 500 has a good chance at acceptance paired with a GPA north of 3.2. Not to mention that many schools have an average right around 499-501. If less than 1000 people matriculate with a 501 or less then it will be very surprising.
Actually its just looking at the stats that are increasing each year. Not only that but talking to people like Goro and DrmikeP agree that stats will be increasing this year and talking to them, they have stated a 500 even though is considered average, is not a good chance to get into schools(or at least talking to drMikeP at least). A 24 which worked for previous years probably won't stand a chance this cycle. A 500 with a 3.2 does not have a strong chance.(I'm assuming 3.2 cGPA and sGPA). I mean where are you getting these references? A 499(or even a 501) is not a good chance to get into medical school at the moment(Let alone MD schools).

Idk maybe I misinterpreted what Goro and DrMikeP said. But looking at the trends, this cycle I am stating a 501(or 499-501) with a 3.2 or 3.3 or close to that leaves almost NO CHANCE for you to get into any schools. I mean alone this year, a 500 is a cutoff for most schools. Possibly brand new schools but even that isn't a given.

Again if someone said
"I'm applying with a 499 and a 3.2 gpa", I don't think people are going to say he has a decent shot to get into anywhere except for the very new schools and even then, a 3.2 GPA is extremely low with a 499. The reason the OP has a chance is because of amazing EC's and extremely high GPA's.

Edit: Yes I was incorrect! I thought a 25 = 50th percentile but actually it is equivalent to a 499