This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tulsajoe94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
-Do not retake the MCAT.
- The increase in science GPA would repair that weakness and balance with 3.5 cGPA/ 3.5 sGPA.
- Scribing would look good, you have some clinical but adding to it is a huge plus.
-Either college is fine for taking classes.
-Your volunteer hours are not excessive

You may still get in with two interviews and a decent GPA and strong MCAT.
I know the early september pains, half of my MD apps havent been looked at yet :( (1 science LOR dragged out submitting for months)

Reactions: 1 user
Your best chance is an SMP. That is the only way at this point for you to PROVE beyond a doubt that you can handle the rigor of medical school. Direct Message me if you have questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
SMP is high risk, if OP takes some science classes for a quick boost and builds the ECs then OP is good to go. Much higher chance of success with an already strong Mcat.

Consider applying DO next cycle if you don't mind these letters behind your name.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

My MCAT expires this cycle, so I’ll have to retake either way. I’ve applied for a scribe job in my city with hours that work will with my current job. Fingers crossed!
Can you do an SMP with direct linkage that doesn't require MCAT retake?

Just DO NOT do a SMP unless there is direct linkage. I know several people who did this and didn't get into med school so they kind of blew 50k. If you retake MCAT, you need to improve so take a course and study hard (it can be hard to study when you have had a few interviews). Taking classes at a local uni is a good idea.

100% DO next cycle.

Scribe is a great way to get clinical experience. Good luck!

If you do an SMP make sure it is a good one like Georgetown. I did that one and wound up with 8 interviews (1 DO, 7 MD).

If you do an SMP make sure it is a good one like Georgetown. I did that one and wound up with 8 interviews (1 DO, 7 MD).
What did you think of your experience at your SMP through Georgetown?

I finished the Georgetown SMP this past June. It was honestly the most rewarding/difficult year I have had yet. You are going to need top notch time management skills, and be prepared to make a paradigm shift from whatever you had done previously. During the first block of classes, I often studied for 5-6 hours every day after class, and then studied between 6-8 hours each day on weekends to stay on top of materials. Studying really is a full-time job here, since this is your hail-mary pass. I'm applying this year as well, so I don't know how schools balance SMP performance with your undergraduate performance, but coming out of the other side, you have a way better idea of how you would handle medical school. The administration offers all the resources you'd need as far as application timing, recommendation letters and what not, but the performance part is up to you.

It was a really great experience but like the previous poster said it takes a lot out of you mentally and emotionally. If you don’t go and give it your all you will have just **** yourself in the foot. The one thing you should ask yourself before you do a program like this is “how bad do you want it?”. I am way more prepared than any of my classmates because of this program. Not just content-wise but the Georgetown SMP also gave me a heightened maturity that I would have never otherwise had.

Go with linkage, but generally does are for under-rep minorities.

Otherwise, find a good coach and do an informal post-bacc, and focus on distinguishing yourself through something crazy...make an app, create a platform, start a charity. Find meaning into your life, because your scores are not it. PM me with questions. AB

If I don't get accepted anywhere this year, I'd really like to apply again ASAP. I have 2 IIs this cycle and got secondaries submitted mostly in September (whoops). These plans are made for the Spring of 2019 for a potential 2019/2020 re-app. Which plan seems better to you?

~About me~
1. sGPA/GPA: 3.38/3.52
2. Clinical volunteer hours, 150.
Clinical work hours: 520, but as an office administrator and lab tech.
3. MCAT: 512
4. Late applicant.

~Plan A~
1a. Would it look bad to do an informal post-bacc at a different state institution than my undergrad? If I move to my hometown, I can get significantly cheaper rent, but the school is not as well regarded. Not a community college, however.

1b. Should I bother? If I take 15hrs upper div science and get A's, my sGPA will be a 3.51 and my GPA will be a 3.56. Worth $4500 in the eyes of admissions?
2. Would part-time scribing help me here? I plan to continue volunteering.
3. MCAT --> 517. I think this is well within my range from other practice tests, I just had a bad test 3 years ago and have to retake it for another cycle anyway.
4. Pre-write things.

~Plan B~

SMP/Post-bacc for a year w/ linkages.
Do you have any dedicated shadowing hours? What about non clinical volunteering?