• Forums Updates - Thursday at 1:00 AM Eastern
    We will be performing some system maintenance on Thursday starting around 1:00 AM Eastern. The forums will be unavailable for approximately one hour.
  • Seeking Outstanding Advisors
    If you have benefited from an amazing advisor, nominate them for the 2024 Advisor of the Year Award! Accepting nominations now through March 31st.

If I retake my Organic Chem courses at another institution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDdream

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how does that work on the AMCAS application?

I graduated with my BS in 2004 at UofA, now im at the Univ. of Houston..

If I retake Organic Chem classes at UH do they count the "new" grades in your undergraduate GPA in replacement of the older grades? or am i mistaken?

Members don't see this ad.

MDdream said:
how does that work on the AMCAS application?

I graduated with my BS in 2004 at UofA, now im at the Univ. of Houston..

If I retake Organic Chem classes at UH do they count the "new" grades in your undergraduate GPA in replacement of the older grades? or am i mistaken?
No, they are counted IN ADDITION to the older grades. Therefore, they are averaged together. If your grades were really bad, you might still come out ahead by retaking the classes, especially since you will need to know the material for the MCAT.

jota_jota said:
No, they are counted IN ADDITION to the older grades. Therefore, they are averaged together. If your grades were really bad, you might still come out ahead by retaking the classes, especially since you will need to know the material for the MCAT.

how does that work if you took classes with no grades (credit, no credit, etc)

Members don't see this ad :)
suckermc said:
how does that work if you took classes with no grades (credit, no credit, etc)
Credit/No Credit courses are not counted in any GPA (overall, BCPM, etc.)

They're also not usually accepted for satisfying the requirements (i.e. you must take the course for a letter grade.) But if you are retaking for review or something and are happy with your original grade, I guess you could take something credit/no credit. You might want to check with Med. Schools that you are planning on applying to about that one, however.

Jota

Is this grade replacement policy (or "nonreplacement" policy) for all courses or just science and math courses? I had a very bad freshman year 6 years ago, but repeated the courses (thus replacing them in the GPA calculation) and graduated with a more respectable GPA. Will AMCAS count those freshman classes (english, political science, and a university studies) in calculating my GPA?

jmb3r said:
Is this grade replacement policy (or "nonreplacement" policy) for all courses or just science and math courses? I had a very bad freshman year 6 years ago, but repeated the courses (thus replacing them in the GPA calculation) and graduated with a more respectable GPA. Will AMCAS count those freshman classes (english, political science, and a university studies) in calculating my GPA?
All undergraduate course work counts, regardless of when you took it. I can give you an extreme example - I wound up having a Fall, 1979 Astronomy course from my Freshman year that was included in my BCPM GPA - it counted like anything else. You will have two GPAs: your BCPM (science - biology, chemistry, physics, math) and your AO (all other). If you've got a good BCPM, your AO becomes less important, especially if part of it is old - although, 6 years ago is not a long time to many of us non-trads. If your overall GPA (AO + BCPM) is, say, under 3.00, you many get screened-out up-front at some schools. Note that while AMCAS does not replace grades (and will not do so for your freshman repeats, unfortunately), AACOMAS (the osteopathic application service) does replace - old grades can be replaced with a new grade for the same course.