Position Available If I start my residency in my country, can I finish it in Italy ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robert93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I really don't know if this is the right section to ask this question, but I really need some answers because I searched all over the internet and I couldn't find anything.

Here's my story. I am a 4th year medical student in Romania and I want to leave my country after I finish medical school. The reasons are many, but that's not important. What's important is the fact that I want to take the national residency exam here, in Romania, finish the first year of residency in Romania, and then, the second year and the ones to come, in Italy. Is this possible ? How can I achieve that ? I want to become a pediatric surgeon. Hopefully someone will be able to help me.

If you're asking why I'm doing this : western Europe has a much more modern medicine, and also, here in Romania after medical school, you get like 300 euros. I can't live with that and I really want to start a family after I finish the medical school, and with 300 euros a month I can't do that. I really want to become a very good doctor and help many children. And my dad's in Italy too, but not as a doctor. Please, if you can help me, I will truly, truly appreciate it ! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there.
This is not the right section.
You should contact Italy Medical Council and ask them what are the qualifications they want in order to restart or continue your residency endeavor. Giving the fact that Italy pays much lower than the US to doctors. I would recommend that you study for USMLE exams and get a license here in the US. If you get high scores and get into the system, you will reach your goals whatever they are. Hope that helps.

Hey. Thanks a lot for your replay. I will continue my searching. Thanks for your advice. :)