If I wait until October to apply to DO schools will that be too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just submitted 12 of my 25 secondaries for MD yesterday and will probably finish the rest by the end of August.

What should be my strategy for applying DO? Should I start applying if I don't get any II by October? Should I apply even if I do get IIs? Or is October too late? I do not want to be out of school for another year.

Members don't see this ad.

It would be easier to help if we could get a glimpse of your stats/ECs. Not all applicants need to apply to DO as well.

It would be easier to help if we could get a glimpse of your stats/ECs. Not all applicants need to apply to DO as well.

Just a very abbreviated summary

cGPA 3.55 sGPA 3.44 MCAT 13/11/13
Red Flag: W followed by a C in orgo 2. No grade below B in any other class
Downward GPA trend

Graduated in 2013

Main extracurriculars:
2 years in a hospital working with patients as a research coordinator
2 years volunteering at a suicide crisis hotline

Members don't see this ad :)
cGPA 3.55 sGPA 3.44 MCAT 13/11/13
Red Flag: W followed by a C in orgo 2. No grade below B in any other class

Graduated in 2013

Main extracurriculars:
2 years in a hospital working with patients as a research coordinator
2 years volunteering at a suicide crisis hotline
If you are interested in the DO philosophy of medicine, then I would apply, but if you're not I would save the money - assuming have a good school list (feel free to post that as well).

I think DO schools may assume you are applying to them as a safety because of your high MCAT. What do you think @Goro?

Is October late Goro? Should I begin the process earlier?

Is October late Goro? Should I begin the process earlier?

For most schools, if you can get your secondaries in my November you should still be okay. You won't be early, but there are plenty of schools which will still consider you. You will be too late for one or two, but if you start your app now and stay on it you should be pretty good. With your stats I think you should get some love from the more established DO schools assuming you've got some solid EC's.

Is the DO verification time as bad as the MD one?

I am interested in NYCOM, PCOM and MSUCOM