If I were to create "Ask a DCT" video series...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irish80122

DCT at Miss State U.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a youtube channel that right now is full of just lectures from my classes, but I am thinking of starting up a "Ask a DCT" series to discuss the questions applicants and students most commonly have, from how do you get into a clinical psychology program to what counts as what for APPIC hours.

Before I do this, I thought I would ask a few questions:
1. Is this something that would be helpful/watched by current students/applicants (i.e. am I being old and out of touch)
2. What questions would you recommend I cover?

If I do it I will be sure to acknowledge your suggestions for topics (unless you would prefer I don't).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I think it would be very helpful to applicants and current students! It might be good to spread the word about it on grad cafe too.

Some questions I think would be helpful to answer are:
1. What are some tips for writing the statement of purpose? What do admissions committees look for in an applicant?

2. What are tips on how to be a competitive applicant for internship? (including specifics for the different specializations)

3. What is the process for new programs to become APA accredited? What are the pros and cons of attending a new PhD program?

Reactions: 1 user
I think that's a great idea and I would love to link to it on my lab website (I have a section for professional development for grads and aspiring grads).

1. Give how frequently it comes up here about initial applications, I would ask the DCT to define what their programs look at to define 'fit' relative to the importance of research interests, gpa, letters, previous research etc.

2. Post docs versus Jobs after internship- what is required, what is not required, how common is each, what are the timelines/competitiveness for them

I'm sure there are more, but those two popped into my mind right away.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, clarity on APPIC hour reporting, experiences that make you competitive for internship (e.g., specialized practicum, research productivity) -- Would be nice to get the perspective of someone from another institution to see how notes compare

Reactions: 1 users
Excellent idea! A few possibilities for topics:

Given the frequency it comes up here, definitely one on the differences / similarities between PhD and PsyD (and reputable vs "other" PsyD programs).

Also on money management and grad school and financial considerations to make before making the leap to grad school, and also how to prepare for and keep cost down for internship interviews (e.g., save those credit card points, trade in for plane tickets).

Basic money management/how to be frugal/loans while making it through grad school- I was shocked at the lack of basic financial knowledge among some in my cohort.

A discussion about when it makes sense to spend time getting more research experience vs. getting a master's / respecialization program etc.

Timeline for applying to grad school and how to narrow down the choices (also same for internship applications).

What to expect a "typical" interview day to look like.

Pros/cons of various ways of tracking your APPIC hours (e.g., those programs you can pay for that stuff) and credentials banking.

Awesome, these are great, I really appreciate them! I have a grant deadline in a couple weeks, but I am going to get on recording as soon as I get that grant out!

As you have more ideas please send them my way, this is very helpful!