If I were to get a very low DAT (say like a 16AA or something) would a retake even matter?

fayevalentine

See you space cowboy.
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
What I mean is, if I end up taking the DAT and doing incredibly bad, then retake and do well, would I even be considered? The schools I am applying to claim to only consider the most recent score, but would they really still look at someone who did that poorly on one attempt?

Charles_Darwin

2+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
Given the amount you've studied, at this point the only thing that could cause you to have a low dat score is lack of confidence.

Spend Wednesday relaxing and getting pumped!

Reactions: LuckBloodandSweat

LuckBloodandSweat

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Don't be me and cry after your first DAT attempt because you were shaking the whole time. If you're about to take the test just find a strategy that will make you calm and focused and move on from there. Please please please get some sleep :). If anything, if you kill the retake I'm sure it'll help you out. Screwing up once only serves as ridiculously strong motivation to do better the 2nd time.

WheatLom

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
Before my DAT i listened the Lose yourself- Eminem like 3 times. Cause you only get one shot do not miss your chance to blow....

Relax, seize the moment and get the job done. I believe your test is today right? Don't defeat yourself before the battle begins. You got this, the test will not be bad as you think. Trust me and everyone else saying it.

Reactions: krisnocaries

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
New York City
www.orgoman.com
Status
Non-Student
What I mean is, if I end up taking the DAT and doing incredibly bad, then retake and do well, would I even be considered? The schools I am applying to claim to only consider the most recent score, but would they really still look at someone who did that poorly on one attempt?
It is not the end of the world it you have to retake the DAT, many students through the years have not gotten the scores they wanted on the first attempt. There is no shame in a retake. If you can relax a bit and not make it such a do or die situation it will help. Try not to beat yourself up or stay in self doubt. Instead of stating what if I get a 16 why not replace that thought with what if I get a 30? Shoot for the moon and if you hit the stars would that be so bad?

Please feel free to message me today should you need some moral support.

Wishing you the best, believe you can!

Nancy

WheatLom

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
It is not the end of the world it you have to retake the DAT, many students through the years have not gotten the scores they wanted on the first attempt. There is no shame in a retake. If you can relax a bit and not make it such a do or die situation it will help. Try not to beat yourself up or stay in self doubt. Instead of stating what if I get a 16 why not replace that thought with what if I get a 30? Shoot for the moon and if you hit the stars would that be so bad?

Please feel free to message me today should you need some moral support.

Wishing you the best, believe you can!

Nancy
Wouldn't you want to shoot for the stars? The moon is so close. ha.

Reactions: LuckBloodandSweat

okiedokeartichoke

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Girl, you are going to be fine :) Just breathe, relax. You got this! I highly doubt you're going to get a 16AA with the amount of work you've put in. Now you're just psyching yourself out for no reason. Review your notes, get a good night's sleep, and kick some serious tushy tomorrow :cool:

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
New York City
www.orgoman.com
Status
Non-Student
Girl, you are going to be fine :) Just breathe, relax. You got this! I highly doubt you're going to get a 16AA with the amount of work you've put in. Now you're just psyching yourself out for no reason. Review your notes, get a good night's sleep, and kick some serious tushy tomorrow :cool:
Agreed! Always remember to breathe, that can do wonders when under stress.

klownzo

2+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2015
You'll do great! I was extremely nervous leading up to my test and really started to doubt myself. I even studied the day before for 10 hours! Since my GPA is bad, I knew I needed a high score or I wouldn't stand a chance. The stress of knowing I could only get a few questions wrong in each section was taxing but I made it to the other side. Heres my advice for you... Make sure to get a full nights sleep the night before your test! When you wake up, make yourself a good breakfast. This will give you a way to take your mind off the test. I personally jammed out to Edm on my way to prometric. I picked my favorite song for lifting and got myself pumped up and ready to go. When you sit down in your cubicle, take a couple of minutes to get situated and calm yourself. My heart was pounding and I took about 5 minutes to get my desk situated exactly how I wanted and then I drew my grids for PAT. Now here's the most important advice I can give you, if you feel like the test is going badly, DO NOT GIVE UP! I had marked 4 biology questions in the first 10 and I thought I was done for but I remembered what my fiancée repeatedly told me the week leading up to the test... "No matter how you feel the test is going, promise me that you won't give up. It is not over just because you don't know a couple of questions or feel it is overall going badly. Keep giving it your all and it'll pay off in the end". Remember that quote when you're going through the test! Also take your full break! Go walk around, call your SO and talk about your plans for celebrating that night! You know the material and it'll show when the test is finished! Good luck!

OP
fayevalentine

fayevalentine

See you space cowboy.
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Guys... thank you. I'm sorry about the freak out. Not sure what that was :) you are all right and I'm so grateful to have people like you to talk to about stuff like this. I've kept my nerves fairly well in check this whole time (I am generally a very anxious person... been working on that) and
they just all came rushing out last night. You all have really helped and I can't thank you enough <3

LuckBloodandSweat

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Guys... thank you. I'm sorry about the freak out. Not sure what that was :) you are all right and I'm so grateful to have people like you to talk to about stuff like this. I've kept my nerves fairly well in check this whole time (I am generally a very anxious person... been working on that) and
they just all came rushing out last night. You all have really helped and I can't thank you enough <3
You're not alone in that lol! We're all here for moral support :D.

Reactions: orgoman22