If I withdrew from Ross, would I be able to reapply as a first semester student at SABA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlbais414

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm sure you could but you will end up with what you have now minus a ton of money.

Reactions: 1 users
Out of the frying pan and into the dumpster fire.

Reactions: 36 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No, I don't think it does...
1. How far into the program are you
2. What is the motivation (diciplinary action, family, cost, location...)
3. Why are you looking to transfer and restart the process

At the end of the day, baring a major disciplinary action, im sure someone is going to be willing to take your money.

Also... You'd be better served asking this is the Caribbean subforum

Good luck

why are you doing any of these things

Reactions: 2 users
I thought Ross was one of the best Carribean schools. SGU is ranked #1 but Ross is somewhere in that top tier, right? I know about 6-7 successful graduates from Ross. Do you want to leave because academic issues?

If you needed to go to Ross, and are thinking about dumping it and going to another school - why are you even bothering to try again anyway? Not enough context here.

All I can say is that I don't envy you. I sincerely hope you figure this situation out, because it seems extremely sticky. Good luck!!!

Out of the frying pan and into the dumpster fire.
And the frying pan he started out in isn't a clean Teflon frying pan, but more like this one:
IMG_3458_webcrop.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a Caribbean grad, so I don't know what your chances are of getting into residency are, but from what I've been reading people that get through it in 4 years, have GREAT Step scores and LORs, and have no red flags on their applications still go unmatched. Withdrawing from one Caribbean med school to go to another sounds like a kiss of death to me, but then again, I could be wrong.

Reactions: 5 users
Why do you have to withdraw from Ross?

Although it doesn't really matter, because having to withdraw from Ross is basically the death knell of death knells.

Everything I've ever heard about SABA is to run away as fast as you can...

Reactions: 1 user
Don't go further down that path... If you are a US citizen, come back to the US and consider an alternative career... PA/NP ain't bad!

Don't go further down that path... If you are a US citizen, come back to the US and consider an alternative career... PA/NP ain't bad!

Yeah, why not something like podiatry school?

I am actually consider PA/NP. However, I have no idea where to start. I always focused on being a doctor that I never thought about going into allied healthcare. If you can, PM me with any advice! Instant karma points!
There are some 3-year NP programs out there and they are not too difficult to get into... Basically, they give you a BSN after year 1 and you do the NP in the last two year... PM me if you have more questions!

If Caribbean schools didn't get some students into residency then they wouldn't exist. Even if it is in Nowhere, Wyoming in family medicine. Though it is a hard path, if you are making good grades you can probably make it. Good luck my friend.

If Caribbean schools didn't get some students into residency then they wouldn't exist. Even if it is in Nowhere, Wyoming in family medicine. Though it is a hard path, if you are making good grades you can probably make it. Good luck my friend.

I always hear this said, but are there definitive numbers or % matched lists anywhere?

Edit - just answered my own question by looking at the Ross website. This amazes me, however:

student-profile.png

Do people get rejected from carribbean schools?

I am a second semester student. The motivation is that the environment here is bringing me down. I would like to start over in a new more solid environment.
You do realize SABA is a hellhole right? Like a lot of people leave after the first week because it's THAT depressing.

I always hear this said, but are there definitive numbers or % matched lists anywhere?

Edit - just answered my own question by looking at the Ross website. This amazes me, however:

student-profile.png

You do realize that you can't trust the Ross or other Caribbean school websites when it comes to match statistics, right?

Reactions: 7 users
Because it doesn't matter
Ok it might not matter to US MD students. But it DOES matter to the students on the islands and apparently to residency PDs as well. The match rates are radically different between SGU and some random Carribean school. Not all of the Carribean schools are the same.

Ok it might not matter to US MD students. But it DOES matter to the students on the islands and apparently to residency PDs as well. The match rates are radically different between SGU and some random Carribean school. Not all of the Carribean schools are the same.

Well they are all the same in the way they crank out non-competitive applicants that will likely kill far more patients than their us md counterparts

Well they are all the same in the way they crank out non-competitive applicants that will likely kill far more patients than their us md counterparts
There is no correlation between the competitiveness of an application and patient outcomes that has ever been noted in the history of medicine. I've also met some rather pathetic MDs that came from top schools and decided to rest on their laurels.

All that being said, OP, transferring Carib schools is a death sentence for your application. Stick it out at Ross if you think you can, and if not, consider a career as a PA or NP. The PA Forums are an excellent place to start for the PA route. Direct entry DNP programs are an excellent alternative on the nursing side of things. You could also consider becoming an Anesthesiologist Assistant, which would take all of the medical school prereqs you have likely already completed. Good luck.

Reactions: 7 users
There is no correlation between the competitiveness of an application and patient outcomes that has ever been noted in the history of medicine.
People in SDN have that fallacy they will be better physician than FMG/USIMG because they attend US med school... The physicians I worked with that got the most praise from their colleagues and patients are usually IMG/FMG.

People in SDN have that fallacy they will be better physician than FMG/USIMG because they attend US med school... The physicians I worked with that got the most praise from their colleagues and patients are usually IMG/FMG.
It's really up to the individual student. There was one study in the past that showed FMGs outperformed US MDs, who themselves outperformed US IMGs, but it's the only one I know of examining the issue.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...u-s-perform-better-than-home-grown-physicians

Podiatry is where the money is at, seems like every other person in the hospital needs a foot cut off

Gotta love that ole Diabetes. No seriously though, the Pods that mostly have a practice in amputations are going to absolutely rake in the cash monies as the baby boomers age

Carib med students saying they're on par with US med students is like saying the CFL is on par with the NFL. Maybe one player makes it into the big league from canada but dont schedule the alouettes vs the panthers cause that **** wont look pretty.

Reactions: 5 users

That study was mostly FMGs who were not US citizens prior to their medical education, I do not think you can extrapolate that to students from the Caribbean who are mostly US citizens who could not hack it here.

He is not angry, he I just telling you to stop yammering nonsense.

As for jumping ship from Ross to another Carib school.. Does it even matter? Toxic people exist all over. As discussed at length here, you have bigger concerns on the horizon.

He is not angry, he I just telling you to stop yammering nonsense.

As for jumping ship from Ross to another Carib school.. Does it even matter? Toxic people exist all over. As discussed at length here, you have bigger concerns on the horizon.
After doing bad in an OSCE, I have to find a place to yammering nonsense... Can't be serious all the time!

After doing bad in an OSCE, I have to find a place to yammering nonsense... Can't be serious all the time!

Was that OSCE like six months ago? Because it's been going on at least that long.
images

seriously... go for a run or bike ride or something. It's unseasonably warm in 2/3rds of the country today.

Reactions: 2 users