If I'm interested in DO, think this job will help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forks4spoons

Followin' the dream. UTCVM c/o 2023!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, everyone!

I've a question.. it's a bit strange, but I'm curious what you all think.

I'm currently unemployed and have been poking around this (terrible, terrible terrible) job market when I ran across a position as an office assistant at a non disclosed chiropractic clinic. I was laid off from my job at a cardiology clinic doing clerical work almost 7 months ago. So, a job would be very nice and I'm familiar with clerical work.

I've already submitted my app to AACOMAS, but do you think it would be a good position for me considering my interest in osteopathic medicine? (And, could I update my experiences through AACOMAS?)

I really, really need a job at the moment, and I don't want to flip burgers. If at all possible I'd love to get a job that's relative to my future career, even if it is clerical.

Hrm.. opinions?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Get a job, since you need one, but I'm not sure exactly how much it will help in admissions. If you can observe an OMM doc, you'd sure be able to answer the question "How is DO different than Chiropractic?" Though I don't think that should be your main reason for working there.

Thanks, ChocolateBear - It's something that I wasn't sure about!

My main reason for working anywhere would be simply because I need to work. However, I'd like it to be somewhat applicable. Pfft. We'll see if that happens... right now, I just need the $$.

Sounds kinda fun, personally. So, I'll be sending off my resume tomorrow. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, ChocolateBear - It's something that I wasn't sure about!

My main reason for working anywhere would be simply because I need to work. However, I'd like it to be somewhat applicable. Pfft. We'll see if that happens... right now, I just need the $$.

Sounds kinda fun, personally. So, I'll be sending off my resume tomorrow. :)

Sounds good, then. I know adcoms have asked interviewees how DO differs from DC. If you add this to AACOMAS, make sure you can answer that question respectfully and accurately. Also, I often see OMM docs as the interviewers, and they could have some passionate feelings on the issue--just be aware.

If anything it might give you something to speak about in the interview. You can talk about how working in this setting taught you about running a private practice, working with a healthcare team, gave you the opportunity to learn something about manual medicine, how to interact with patients...etc. I don't think the adcom is going to say to themselves "ooooh, a chiropractic office, put this one at the top of the list", but for a lot of adcoms clinical experience is important and I think you can make a case here.

Dude its a job. If you didnt mind doig it before and its going to help bulk you wallet go for it. Plus the obvious benifits of staying with in the field you are most interested in, even if it is soley clerical work. Good Luck.

I don't know how much help it would be for your application seeing as how you won't have been working there very long when adcoms look at your application. So I don't know if it will help but I'm sure it won't hurt.

Money is good though :soexcited:

Dude its a job. ... Good Luck.

Technically, I'm a dudette, but thank you! :laugh:

And thank you all for your responses. I didn't get a callback on a position making really, really, really good money (for around here, at least), so now I'm back on the job hunt.

But, money is money!

Thanks for your advice. :)

In my neck of the woods there is a tangible tension between chiropractors and DO ( and MD's for that matter). It is possible that some DOs may have an unfavorable response to chiropractic anything. However, experience is experience. If you belive it could contribute to the betterment of you, then do it....imho.