if in doubt or time is against you, what letter do you guess?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EBI831

legend in the making
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey i don't know how to set up these poll things and i really get tired of them. just wondering what the majority of people guess. cuz i haven't decided on a letter yet...was gonna go with d because it's in my last name but d tends to be all of the above in those roman numeral ones and that's not always right so what do you pick? and plus i've been getting rammed in the back whenever i picked D in the past

Members don't see this ad.

my third grade teacher told me to always pick C if i don't know...i've always done that, all guessing is just chance though

Members don't see this ad :)
I also heard to pick C but I am not sure if there is a good reason for that.

I just randomly guess...and bubble with fury!

Okay now to be serious, I usually just start at A and make a criss cross down the column, back again, etc. =P Of course, I'm referring to the unfinished passages...my fingers are crossed that I'll finish the one this Saturday, instead of falling asleep in the sections :( .

So anyway, I heard once that when people write multiple choice, they like to make the answer in the middle, meaning B or C. So you could always alternate between the two.

If it is all random, then in an ideal situation each letter will appear 25% of the time. So, to theoretically maximize your chance of getting that 25%, it doesn't matter which letter you choose, as long as you choose the same one every time. Sometimes it work well, sometimes it doesn't....I usually go with C.

i remember on the ap test, my teacher told me that the test writers were not allowed to create patterns, so u'l never see a long ababab pattern, or 4 or any letter in a row

i dont know if this is true for mcats, but if its a guess, might as well pretend its true

if I have to do it completely blindly, I try to repeat another pattern on the scantron... if I have to guess b/c I have no clue what the answer is, it all depends on the question type, sometimes a, sometimes c, sometimes d... I won't bore you with the details, but it's a great system :D

BrettBatchelor said:
I try to go with something unused in awhile.

:thumbup: I get really nervous on practice tests when I bubble 4 or even 3 of the same letter in a row... usually one of them ends up being wrong... :mad: I don't think I have seen a single stretch of 4 of the same letters on a practice test... maybe once, but I can't be sure. I've definitely had 4 letters in a row quite a few times and ended up with usually the 2nd or 3rd one wrong

I don't guess, I just yell as loud as I can and point at the blank answer bubble in anger.

Hasn't worked thus far though :(

Just create your own bubble and fill it in. :)

Or if it is greater than two questions alternate (eg. a,b,a,b or a,d,a,d, etc.)