LaughingGas

7+ Year Member
May 17, 2010
Status
Dental Student, Dentist
Just curious.
If an applicant is a international student, I understand that has harder time getting accepted at public schools, but what about private schools?. Are they in disadvantage compare to US citizens/permanent residents?

rullom

5+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2012
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
they all may or may not have a limit on how many international students they take... check out the specific schools... some say 5 spots or 5% of spots for out of state etc

UCSFx2017

10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Private shouldn't care about your nationality. Case Western in specific does not care about whether you are U.S.-citizen or not. In fact, a lot of people in their student body are Canadian.

The problem comes with the issue of financing. You'll probably have to use Canadian banks which might in fact be better than borrowing from U.S. banks. I'm not exactly familiar with Canadian loan options but U.S. bank loans have crappy repayment options compared to Stafford loan's.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2012
Massachusetts
Private shouldn't care about your nationality. Case Western in specific does not care about whether you are U.S.-citizen or not. In fact, a lot of people in their student body is Canadian.

The problem comes with the issue of financing. You'll probably have to use Canadian banks which might in fact be better than borrowing from U.S. banks. I'm not exactly familiar with Canadian loan options but U.S. bank loans have crappy repayment options compared to Stafford loan's.
quick question, does telling them that you have scolarship ( pay for all the courses ) help getting accepted ?

UCSFx2017

10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
quick question, does telling them that you have scolarship ( pay for all the courses ) help getting accepted ?
No. An applicant using loans (third party) pays the same amount to private schools as an applicant using a different third party member (HPSP, NHSC, etc.).

Jun 3, 2013
Status
Hey guys Im an international applicant too. I have bachelors degree from New Zealand and I been working in the United states for last 2 years as a research assistant at Stanford and planning on applying to MD programs in US this year. Any pointers on which schools I should apply to?

Thanks!

Jul 24, 2012
In my hut, deep in the woods
Status
According to the Kaplan DAT book (KBB) "gaining admission to U.S. dental schools can be especially challenging for students who are not United States citizens" because "dental schools in the United States do not reserve space for foreign students" and these applicants may find that their "chances of obtaining admission to a private dental school are higher than [their] chances of being admitted to a public dental school."

Obviously the part about public schools is true because they do get state funding, however I thought the general consensus was that international students (including Canadians) have a slight disadvantage in the application process, even at private schools.

I think it probably depends on the school, but I can see why private schools would still be slightly biased against international students. They are US schools after all and their main job is to educate dentists who will stay in the US. I don't have too much solid proof of this, but I noticed today that Tufts, which is a private school, limits applicants to only US citizens or permanent residents.

ETA: This might be of interest. According to that, the ratio of # of international applications received to international students enrolled is 20:1. I know it's not perfect (it considers several different types of international applicants together), but I do still think that private schools are slightly biased against international applicants.

Ooo, I found the newest one! Apparently 279 international students enrolled in US dental schools.

A past thread suggests that maybe the # of enrollees the ADEA reports is actually the total # of international students over all 4 years. I thought it represented international students enrolling as dental students + internationals with advanced standing + residents. Needless to say, I am thoroughly confused about what this number actually represents. :confused:

Nevertheless, doc toothache's response to someone claiming that private schools don't distinguish between international and US permanent residents/citizens is:
The limited number of international students accepted in the US seems to suggest otherwise.

Last edited:

UCSFx2017

10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Like all things SDN, please take post #3 as a grain of salt. The best person to ask about CWRU's international applicant policy is the director of admissions himself.