If It's Not On EM I Don't Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't really mean that but I do only look at the EM board and the General board on SDN. It's not that the others aren't cool too in their second best to EM way it's just that I'm too busy to check everything out. Consequently, if it's not happening here I miss it. I often don't know if someone has been trolling on other boards and other similar info. Do a lot of people use SDN in this way or is it just me?

Members don't see this ad.

My bookmark for SDN goes directly to the EM forum. I have browsed or searched the other forums about once in the last 6 months.

USCDiver said:
My bookmark for SDN goes directly to the EM forum. I have browsed or searched the other forums about once in the last 6 months.
Ditto

Members don't see this ad :)
Same. Book mark directs me directly to here...

I didn't even know Path had a board. It's kind of ironic that there's is the 'least dead' in terms of post #....

When I was in med school, i frequented the pre-osteo and osteopathic forums a bit... that died out once i hit residency...

when i was an intern, I frequented most of the residency forums.

Now I hit the EM forums *daily* if I CAN... but don't always post... and occasionally hit some of the other forums just to see the flaming that goes on (Anesthesia it usually crops up once every other month or so).

Q

QuinnNSU said:
When I was in med school, i frequented the pre-osteo and osteopathic forums a bit... that died out once i hit residency...

when i was an intern, I frequented most of the residency forums.

Now I hit the EM forums *daily* if I CAN... but don't always post... and occasionally hit some of the other forums just to see the flaming that goes on (Anesthesia it usually crops up once every other month or so).

Q
Is this a typical progression? Next, as you move into attending land you will post less and less. As your extrication becomes complete you will just occasionally lurk and spend more and more time.......working, making money, having a life.

Perhaps this could be elaborated on by those past posters that have gone ahead and ...crossed over.
Has anybody heard from Sessamoid, ERMudPhud, Spyder, EdinOh etc.

or

Are you reborn as a sage and mildly crispy advisor a la docB? Ya know somebody in a great silver robe and wooden staff saving midwestern tourists from their AMI outside the Bellagio or occasionally holding forth on the perils of the dark side of medicine on an anonymous forum.

fuegorama said:
Are you reborn as a sage and mildly crispy advisor a la docB?
:laugh: :thumbup:
I really should put that in my signature.

In reality the whole progression is natural. When I was posting as a resident I would read the "What are my chances" threads but now I never do. The whole fear of getting a residency is so long ago I can't really relate any more. The billing, EMTALA and malpractice threads are where my interest is and clearly these are pretty dull to most med students. One of the great things about SDN is that there is always a crop of whoever is just ahead of you to talk about your issue at hand. You'll see what I mean eventually when I'm posting on retirement and prostate issues. By then I'm sure we'll be able to access SDN via direct neural uplink so I'll have more time to post.

fuegorama said:
I
Perhaps this could be elaborated on by those past posters that have gone ahead and ...crossed over.

Luke, Feel the power of the dark side...

I've been lurking a bit but mostly I've just been very busy. I sent off two grants in the last few months and I have two papers I'm trying get in somewhere plus I got invited to Brazil to give a talk. This whole research career is going to take on a life of its own in the next year or I'm just going to start doing 12 shifts a month in the ED.

I agree with DocB as time goes on your interests change. I used to wander a bit mostly looking for a good flame war. Now even a good ER=triage monkey thread like the recent one that cropped up here can't even get me going. A few times a week I scan the Hall of Fame, Things I learn, and Haikus while looking for any interesting new threads.

ERMudPhud said:
A few times a week I scan the Hall of Fame, Things I learn, and Haikus while looking for any interesting new threads.
I've been using snippits from Things I learn in my EMS lectures for a while and they're always good for a laugh. I find myself making up Haikus in the car driving to and from work.

Members don't see this ad :)
southerndoc said:
That's why I did the rolling eyes emoticon. Oh well, guess my joke didn't come across well. As Homer Simpson would say: "Stupid internet!"

Speaking of chiropractors, I had a guy come in the other day, along with his chiropractor for a massive posterior epistaxis induced by some sort of intranasal procedure. Apparently, they insert some sort of balloon apparatus and inflate it. It's supposed to decrease congestion or some crap like that......
Anyway, this guy ended up with an epistat, which works great by the way....He ended up being admitted and taken off to the OR....I can't believe that these people are allowed (and licensed) to do such invasive procedures... He tried to tell me that he did hundreds of these procedures, but never had something like this happen....

spyderdoc said:
Speaking of chiropractors, I had a guy come in the other day, along with his chiropractor for a massive posterior epistaxis induced by some sort of intranasal procedure. Apparently, they insert some sort of balloon apparatus and inflate it. It's supposed to decrease congestion or some crap like that......
Anyway, this guy ended up with an epistat, which works great by the way....He ended up being admitted and taken off to the OR....I can't believe that these people are allowed (and licensed) to do such invasive procedures... He tried to tell me that he did hundreds of these procedures, but never had something like this happen....
I agree. It's even worse than the docs who call for a chest tube when they drop a lung doing a central line.

So I have to reiterate my assertion that the EM board is by far the most worthy. I bumble around here and there. Letely I've been checking out the "Topics in Healthcare" board. They get some good threads going but then they disintegrate into silliness. I often find myself wanting to repost the topic here or cross post to get the EM people there but that's just cheesy and I usually get too busy to do it. Anyway, more kudos to the best forum on the site.

docB said:
So I have to reiterate my assertion that the EM board is by far the most worthy. I bumble around here and there. Letely I've been checking out the "Topics in Healthcare" board. They get some good threads going but then they disintegrate into silliness. I often find myself wanting to repost the topic here or cross post to get the EM people there but that's just cheesy and I usually get too busy to do it. Anyway, more kudos to the best forum on the site.
Agreed!!!

docB said:
I agree. It's even worse than the docs who call for a chest tube when they drop a lung doing a central line.

excuse my ignorance, but is the implication here that you shouldn't be doing central lines if you can't do a chest tube should things go awry? OR that if you drop a lung then you suck at central lines so don't do them. (I know it is off topic but just wondering.)

My posting dropped way off when I went to post-bac, and now that's done with, I am a) working as a tech full-time, and b) I am CASPA's beeyotch for the time being. I have this deal with myself where I can post here only when I have completed a section of my (wicked lengthy) transcript.

I am caught up now to 1994, and I'm out of the "community college for no reason" years. Eventually I'll get to courses that have anything to do with anything.

I check here, and I do cruise the Clinician and EMS forums, but seldom have much to add there. Here, I can learn things (like what's up with the chest tubes? I think I know...), or at least reassure myself that plenty of working providers are still confused about the things that confuse me.

augmel said:
excuse my ignorance, but is the implication here that you shouldn't be doing central lines if you can't do a chest tube should things go awry? OR that if you drop a lung then you suck at central lines so don't do them. (I know it is off topic but just wondering.)
I think that if you're doing a procedure you should be able to deal with the common complications of that procedure.

i mainly go to generel med and em, but my bookmark is to the main forum so if a topic seems interesting from the main page, then I click on that thread. But i've found the EM forum is the most active and I get responses the fastest. I posted something on the PM&R forum about what field you generally get a PM&R rec letter from (besides pm&r of course) and I checked back about 3-4 days later and it had like 50 hits but no responses...I thought maybe I worded it wrong, but seemed to make sense to me what I was asking haha. Heck, I bet if I posted that same question on this forum, I would get some responses from folks who know pm&r people haha.

fuegorama said:

Oh yeah, I'm here. I check here pretty much everyday. I don't post a ton though as you can see by my post number.... :)

I do go to the general forum sometimes, but not nearly as often as here...

I've been out of residency for 4yrs now. Boy does time fly!

Edit. Boy, I just finished reading the thread, and realize I already replied! Holy cow, DocB, you sure brought this one back from the dead! :thumbup:

spyderdoc said:
Oh yeah, I'm here. I check here pretty much everyday. I don't post a ton though as you can see by my post number.... :)

yeah but we all know its quality not quantity!

spyderdoc said:

I do go to the general forum sometimes, but not nearly as often as here...

Edit. Boy, I just finished reading the thread, and realize I already replied! Holy cow, DocB, you sure brought this one back from the dead! :thumbup:
Yeah, I wanted to give a big :thumbup: to the EM forum and I remembered that this thread was buried somewhere. Anything that pulls you out of hiding has to be good.

To resurrect another old thread and show how cool this forum is I want to find that one that started out as a mistake then turned into a discussion of gyne beds. See. Just too cool.

I thought I'd resurrect this thread because I was sitting around trying to recover from a long string of nights and surfing parts of SDN I haven't been in years. I discovered a few threads

EM sucks #1

EM sucks #2

EM sucks #3 Although to be fair it was started by someone pretty hot for EM

I was left with a few observations

1. Kinetic is back and apparently someone actually gave him another shot at residency. Can't really decide which of the following might be appropriate :D:eek: or :rolleyes:. I guess I'll give it a :). Everyone deserves a second chance even if they seem like a jerk on SDN.

2. There are a lot of tired, bitter interns out there. Hopefully they will eventually get a better attitude or at least won't end up working at my hospitals in the future.

3. With the 80 hour work week some of them have way to much time on their hands-1000's of posts in the last 6 months

4. There is a hard core group of EM haters out there but for the most part I'm too over it to care about responding. They are also for the most part inexperienced, overly confident interns. One actually bragged about giving 150mcg of fentanyl to a patient. :rolleyes: But other more experienced docs including K. Cox also seem a bit angry and biased against EM. Of the old school group of EM regulars only Apollyon seems to respond to their troll's anymore.

5. Perhaps the saddest part was that it seems like FoughtFyr's last meaningful exchange on here was with a bunch of d!ckheads. He's been on here since before he was a resident and was a really valuable member of the community but I can see now why he left us his valedictory thread. I'm starting to feel like I could really give a **** about SDN anymore too.

I guess I'll just stay in EM from now on.

Didn't know this thread existed. I also thought I was the only one who rarely went to other forums. Guess not.

I thought I'd resurrect this thread because I was sitting around trying to recover from a long string of nights and surfing parts of SDN I haven't been in years. I discovered a few threads

EM sucks #1

EM sucks #2

EM sucks #3 Although to be fair it was started by someone pretty hot for EM

I was left with a few observations

1. Kinetic is back and apparently someone actually gave him another shot at residency. Can't really decide which of the following might be appropriate :D:eek: or :rolleyes:. I guess I'll give it a :). Everyone deserves a second chance even if they seem like a jerk on SDN.

2. There are a lot of tired, bitter interns out there. Hopefully they will eventually get a better attitude or at least won't end up working at my hospitals in the future.

3. With the 80 hour work week some of them have way to much time on their hands-1000's of posts in the last 6 months

4. There is a hard core group of EM haters out there but for the most part I'm too over it to care about responding. They are also for the most part inexperienced, overly confident interns. One actually bragged about giving 150mcg of fentanyl to a patient. :rolleyes: But other more experienced docs including K. Cox also seem a bit angry and biased against EM. Of the old school group of EM regulars only Apollyon seems to respond to their troll's anymore.

5. Perhaps the saddest part was that it seems like FoughtFyr's last meaningful exchange on here was with a bunch of d!ckheads. He's been on here since before he was a resident and was a really valuable member of the community but I can see now why he left us his valedictory thread. I'm starting to feel like I could really give a **** about SDN anymore too.

I guess I'll just stay in EM from now on.

Is it obnoxious to just say ditto?

Of the old school group of EM regulars only Apollyon seems to respond to their troll's anymore.

I've even taken a few steps back now, because it's not even fun anymore - instead of the traditional "troll" that wants to roil things up, these people have really drunk the Kool-Aid and just don't seem to get it. And how did Winston Churchill define a fanatic? "Someone who won't change their mind and can't change the subject."

Might be a good idea. I still enjoy the EM forum, but the rest of it is slowly turning into all trolling, all the time. Not just EM bashing, either. Lots of anti nurse rants, stuff like that. Lots of interns who think they know more than they actually do.

Personally, as an attending, SDN really isn't designed for me. I was more in a "giving back" mode for the years of advice I received. Since that was hardly supported, and the senior administration around here has taken a decidedly "anti-EM" bend, I figured it was time to bow out.

Well that really sucks that you weren't supported in the mentorship you were trying to provide. The forum seems like a great way for the juniors of us to ask questions of the veterans, but the key part of that is having a friendly environment and one that senior residents don't mind hanging around in.

I hit the Pre-Allo on occasion to give advice to valid questions and such for people trying to get into medical school....espically Texas area people.

I hit the Allo threads on occasion, but I havent posted there much.

I hit the EM thread typically multiples times daily (Above might be every two weeks or so).

Believe it or not I started reading the EM forums way before pre-allo or even signing up. Please don't go anywhere, I'm going to need you in ~half a decade.

I have deleted the recent posts in this thread that violate SDN's privacy and human resources policies.

I don't want to take away your ability to discuss issues that you may dislike about SDN - that isn't my intent at all, but some of the information shared in the deleted posts is private and confidential as well as misinformed. Feel free to carry on the free exchange of ideas and viewpoints but do so in a manner that doesn't violate the rights of others. Thanks for understanding. :)

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I have deleted the recent posts in this thread that violate SDN's privacy and human resources policies.

I don't want to take away your ability to discuss issues that you may dislike about SDN - that isn't my intent at all, but some of the information shared in the deleted posts is private and confidential as well as misinformed. Feel free to carry on the free exchange of ideas and viewpoints but do so in a manner that doesn't violate the rights of others. Thanks for understanding. :)

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

So in case anyone missed it FoughtFyr posted a lengthy explanation of why he left SDN. Just as he suspected it was deleted. I received an explanation that is was among other things private, misinformed, and libelous. It didn't seem all that bad to me. It also apparently was directed at specific individuals. By that I guess they meant a few things he said about Dr. Cox. What he said seemed mild compared to what I've seen daily on here. I realize this is their private playground and they set the rules. I just don't feel like dealing with it anymore.

Otherwise if you all come up with somewhere else to reconvene on-line or in the real world feel free to let me know.

kevin.merrell"AT"uchsc.edu "AT" used to frustrate the bots. I get enough SPAM as it is.

By the way to those of you providing mentoring services either formally through the mentoring forum or informally through the EM forum, you are just adding value to their playground for free. Hand out your email and take your mentoring off SDN. I'm certainly glad to answer anybody's questions about EM via my email.

If there are personal attacks taking place on this forum we definitely want you to report them using the "report post" icon that appears on every post. The only way to stop trolls and flames is to let the mods know what's going on so they can help keep the forums nice and clean for everyone. :)

One last thing....

:thumbdown:

The smiley I really wanted doesn't seem to be on the approved list

Later

seems whats been going on here is a little kooky.. we enjoy being with one another on here.

By the way to those of you providing mentoring services either formally through the mentoring forum or informally through the EM forum, you are just adding value to their playground for free. Hand out your email and take your mentoring off SDN. I'm certainly glad to answer anybody's questions about EM via my email.

Man, I think that's pretty harsh. I understand you're unhappy with the management of the forum, but there's no need to try and pull people away from it.