If not interested in academic medicine, is the MD-PhD worth it?

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

STLRamsfan1986

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2007
Status (Visible)
If you aren't interested in going into academic medicine (the traditional career trajectory for the vast majority of MD-PhD graduates), does doing the MD/PhD make sense? I know that I don't want to be just a practicing physician, but I also know that I don't want to be a PI running a lab as well. Some things that interest me right now are global health/policy work and biotech entrepreneurship/VC/consulting, but these are both areas I need to explore further. Given my feelings, is the MD-PhD worth it?

xanthines

decaying organic matter
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2002
slashdot.org
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
My guess is that you'd be better served by an MD/MPH or MD/MBA program. Many programs (not all) will let you get a PhD in Public Health, though. Just my 2 cents.

-X

If you aren't interested in going into academic medicine (the traditional career trajectory for the vast majority of MD-PhD graduates), does doing the MD/PhD make sense? I know that I don't want to be just a practicing physician, but I also know that I don't want to be a PI running a lab as well. Some things that interest me right now are global health/policy work and biotech entrepreneurship/VC/consulting, but these are both areas I need to explore further. Given my feelings, is the MD-PhD worth it?

achamess

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2007
www.drwillbe.blogspot.com
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
Yes, I will echo the OP's sentiments. I do like basic research very much, but the entrepreneurial possibilities for basic and translational research attract me as well. Is it worth doing an MD/Phd if one is not intending to do strictly academic medicine? Can one be a practicing physician and say also be a researcher at a biotech company instead of a university medical school?

About the Ads

totipocincy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
Certainly there are MD/PhDs that are doing the types of things you hope to do one day. My mentor during undergrad was one of the initial Tri-I MD/PhDs, did a residency in IMed, fellowship in Endocrinology and then went in to industry. He's now the head of a team that developed a billion dollar drug for Eli Lilly. Clinically, he has a very small group of interesting patients, and does a month in the hospital a year to maintain privileges there. However, he laments that his job has become heavily administrative. To some that may be a plus, for others...not so much. What I hoped to show from this is that having an MD/PhD under your belt doesn't define what you will do with your life, but instead opens many new doors. If you're willing to put in 7-8 yrs to do it, having both degrees will enable you to do just about anything you want; if at that point you want to do business rather than residency, I'm sure the top business schools would clamor over you. Though I don't know anyone that's gone out of our MSTP to do an MPH or MBA, I know a few that strongly considered it.

That said, 8 years is a long time, especially when during the training process you are likely going to be told that you need to go into academic medicine on a frequent basis. :confused:

Maxprime

Higgs chaser
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Some things that interest me right now are global health/policy work and biotech entrepreneurship/VC/consulting, but these are both areas I need to explore further. Given my feelings, is the MD-PhD worth it?

As stated above, those seem more related to an MBA/MPH type course of study. Most schools have these, they're just not advertised as much - but if you can get into an MD program you can get into pretty much any other program in a school. The only hurdle is to get the MD program on board.

An MD/PhD is a waste if you go into private practice . . . if you did it just for your career. If you just enjoy research and want to spend a few years in the lab working on a problem that interests you, then I don't think that's a waste. I know this sounds naive - but we get caught up into this mentality of doing 10 fellowships while raising 30 orphans and writing a book on the side before we're 40.

Most attendings you speak to will tell you to enjoy the ride. While it seems like it just sucks now, we're at a stage where we learn something new every day and are constantly getting to try new things. Enjoy this phase of your career - it's the point with the least responsibility - do what makes you happy.

DeadCactus

SDN Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I think you'd be better off pursuing an MD +MS degree and then getting an MBA after graduation (for entrepeneurship) or an MD + MPH (for health policy stuff).

Technology entrepenurship is less about a technical skill and more about being able to recognize and oppurtunity and sell it to others...

Brunette1981

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2007
East Coast
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
My school has established MD/MBA programs and MD/MPH programs, the latter is probably very common and the former is probably not uncommon at places with associated business schools.

If you are not interested in bench research, I would probably not apply MD/PhD - either of the other degrees would suit you better (although they *are* dissimilar so I would probably figure out which one you really want, global health or business).

Traditionally, the PhD is in a biological science and involves bench research - some schools will allow people to do a PhD in business (again, my school does) or epidemiology, etc but I get the sense they will allow MUCH MUCH fewer of these people, <1 per year on average. So, considering gaining admissions to an MSTP is already very competitive and you have to declare a PhD interest on the application, I would think it would be much harder to get into any program wanting to do a business or epi PhD. Not impossible, but you are vying for 1 slot instead of 10 or so. If you decide to do that, I would strongly encourage applying to straight-MD and MD+(MBA or MPH) as a backup.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.