If one waiting list is your hope...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shejeboshease

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
in this case, should i let the school know that this is my only chance to get into a medical school this year? i have been just saying that their school is my first choice and i would give up all other outstanding acceptances. i don't want to look too desperate, although i'm pretty desperate.

Members don't see this ad.

in this case, should i let the school know that this is my only chance to get into a medical school this year? i have been just saying that their school is my first choice and i would give up all other outstanding acceptances. i don't want to look too desperate, although i'm pretty desperate.

If this is really true, and you would absolutely give up all acceptances to attend this school, then it certainly helps to write a professional letter of intent to the dean/adcom/whatever. Don't sound desperate, sound professional. State the reasons why you believe you would be good for this school and why you believe this school would be good for you. Let them know why you liked their school so much, and why you want to attend their institution.

is is a good idea to say that you would give up all your acceptances if you haven't been accepted anywhere else?

Members don't see this ad :)
This brings up an interesting question about the ideology of admissions directors and committees. Does the thought of "nobody else accepted the applicant, so we probably shouldn't either" or "this applicant has no other choices, perhaps we should do them a service and help them become a physician." I'm really not sure which one would be play out in this situation.

When I was on waiting lists, I kept in contact with each school with updates. I did not send a letter every week but at least once a month, I sent an update. Do send an update near May 15th, and send in updates more frequently after that point. You can call sometime in May to find out what our your chances, a few phone calls from May to to July would not be bad...just don't call every day :smuggrin:

I told my first choice school it was my first choice school. But you can let the other schools know that you were inpressed by their school and hope you will be accepted. And you can withdraw later from that school if you get into your first choice.

Schools do expect people to turn down offers, and it is better not to burn bridges! You never know what will happen when you are applying for residencies.

People do get off waitlists, I got off one but by that time, one of my favorite schools had accepted me.

Good Luck :luck:

is is a good idea to say that you would give up all your acceptances if you haven't been accepted anywhere else?

No, because then that is lying, and lying is a very dangerous game to play in the admissions process-- if you're caught, then game over. I would just write them a letter of intent stating how much you enjoyed their school and how you could contribute to their institution and what you have to offer to medicine. Emphasize your strengths, and if you've done anything in the meantime to buff your resume like earn good grades, participate in research, etc, then mention that as well.

Does calling really help that much? Whenever I call I talk to a receptionist at the admissions office who doesn't have the authority to release any information, and most likely doesn't keep a record of my phone call. I feel like I am bothering them more than anything else.

if you havent been accepted anywhere else all the med schools you applied to would know...and if anything I think that would seem like lies to say you would give up other places that...you dont have

i think schools where you are waitlisted can see if you are holding other acceptances. so lying would not be a good idea. im not sure if its necessary to state it as they could already look it up but i dont see how it could hurt....they want to kno u want them n u def do!

i'd say definitely let the school know they are your first choice. i wouldn't go into too many details about them being your only chance for next year...looks kind of desperate. also the "nobody else wants this kid" factor might be their attitude.

so i wouldn't mention that part, but rather, play up the school very strongly, convince them you really love it, and act like the school has always been your first choice.