If one's MCAT section score = 10% (percentile) of accepted score...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

secants

about:blank
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Hope my question title makes sense. I'm just trying to get an Idea of what one's chances would be if one of their section score on the MCAT, let's say verbal, is the average of the bottom 10% of applicants accepted at the school. I got an 8 on VR and this is basically the lowest most scores would take but I am about 80-90% of the other two sections for the school.

Sorry if this should go into the "What are my chances" section or MCAT discussion section, wasn't too sure where to place this.

Any advice greatly appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances will be lower, but how low, no one can tell you. Some schools might even screen you out because of the 8. I know some schools have an MCAT cutoff but I don't know how low it is. And your total score will also play a part.

But on the other hand, your MCAT score is but only one of the many things by which schools will measure you. People with high MCATs get rejected. People with low (relatively speaking) MCATs get accepted. Maybe there's something else in your application that you should be more worried about. But don't, that's not my point at all. My point is don't get sidetracked. What's done is done. You can either take it again or not (you shouldn't because it seems like you scored very well on the other sections)

Hello,

Hope my question title makes sense. I'm just trying to get an Idea of what one's chances would be if one of their section score on the MCAT, let's say verbal, is the average of the bottom 10% of applicants accepted at the school. I got an 8 on VR and this is basically the lowest most scores would take but I am about 80-90% of the other two sections for the school.

Sorry if this should go into the "What are my chances" section or MCAT discussion section, wasn't too sure where to place this.

Any advice greatly appreciated! :)

Hard to say without knowing more about yourself: GPA, school, ECs, and exact scores on rest of MCAT. Did you get at least 12s on the other sections? If so, I think you will be okay at most schools(except top tiers). A buddy of mine(non-URM) got into USC with an 8 Verbal, but he had a 13 Phy and 12 Bio. So, hopefully, that can give you some context.