If Step 1 is P/F, but COMLEX I is scored...do DOs still have to stress?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SliceNDice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So Step 1 going P/F was at least supposed to make it so that med students didn't have to stress so much about doing well on an exam. But if COMLEX I is still scored, does that mean we don't really get to benefit from that?

Members don't see this ad.

It's a possibility. Keep in mind that there are plenty of PD that are fine with COMLEX. Obviously, the number shrinks as you get into the uber-residencies, but they don't DOs even with a 260 Step score.

COMLEX or no, PDs will want a way to stratify candidates and so the shift will likely be to Step 2, and/or kids from feeder programs and/or those who do audition rotations.

Reactions: 1 users
It's a possibility. Keep in mind that there are plenty of PD that are fine with COMLEX. Obviously, the number shrinks as you get into the uber-residencies, but they don't DOs even with a 260 Step score.

COMLEX or no, PDs will want a way to stratify candidates and so the shift will likely be to Step 2, and/or kids from feeder programs and/or those who do audition rotations.

I've also heard that COMLEX will also go P/F soon. Any merit to this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Knowing what an dingus John Gimpel is, I'm not holding my breath.

I just want to say Goro I'm so glad there is an administrator out there that recognizes his scams for what they are. Your characterization of him is absolutely on point lol.

Reactions: 1 user
I just want to say Goro I'm so glad there is an administrator out there that recognizes his scams for what they are. Your characterization of him is absolutely on point lol.
Administrator!??! I'm no admin! I work for a living! I teach medical students!
;)

Seriously, I think you know the story Grey, but I'll share again for new members. Gimpel came to our school to give the dog and pony show as to how special COMLEX was and what NBOME was all about.

When asked about how COMLEX could at least have a scoring system like Step I, to make it easier for non-DO savvy PDs to interpret, he was quite flippant. When it was pointed out that COMLEX isn't accepted by a fair number of PDs, especially in the specialties, he was outright dismissive of our students' career plans. "Let 'em take Step" in the same attitude of "let them eat cake".

Never in my professional career had I wanted to break someone's nose so badly.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 13 users
I've also heard that COMLEX will also go P/F soon. Any merit to this?

It's more than total speculation.

"Our Board of Directors has [...] recommended further study related to the use of pass-fail as well as numerical scoring for COMLEX-USA Level 1, Level 2-CE and Level 3. Further updates will be provided as early as July 2020."

COMLEX should be eliminated and replaced with USMLE requirement, or the NBME/NBOME should be unified ala ACGME/AOA Single Accreditation System for residencies. NBOME can profit from a new DO specific competency exam that all students must take

Reactions: 2 users
Very honest question... Thank God I took Step 1 before it became P/F. I was able to redeem myself by doing way better on Step 1 than COMLEX 1. Tbh as a soon to be MS4 DO student, I wouldn't be surprised if Step 2 becomes the next Step 1.

Reactions: 1 users
Very honest question... Thank God I took Step 1 before it became P/F. I was able to redeem myself by doing way better on Step 1 than COMLEX 1. Tbh as a soon to be MS4 DO student, I wouldn't be surprised if Step 2 becomes the next Step 1.
As it should. Step 2 is a much better exam. Some specialties, such as EM, already place more emphasis on it. More and more IM programs are starting to give it more priority too. Dr. Warm out of Cincinnati published a paper showing that step 2 was the best predictor of performance in IM residency. Downside is since step 2 is taken later it could end up throwing a wrench in residency plans if people do poorly on it.

The fun part about med school is that you always have to stress! No matter what the exam scoring system is.

And this year as an added bonus, crazy pandemics will screw up schedules and leave everything up in the air! Hooray for rising M4s

Reactions: 6 users