If suspension is removed from academic records, do I still need to report it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rulingout

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was suspended from school for under a year and the notation was only on my records for less than one year. The notation was removed 2 years ago.

First of all, do I need to report this to med schools I apply to in USA and Canada?

Secondly, if I do have to report, do I even have any chance of getting in?

The reason for suspension was not unethical (i.e. no plagiarism, no unauthorized aid, no cheating, no helping other students). It was due to a simple and honest mistake I made for which I was disciplined.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you really want to take the risk that some LOR writer will accidently out you by writing "rulingout has grown so much for the incident that got him/her suspended"

???

I have seen this happen, and we have rejected said candidates for their lack of honesty.

IF a med school somehow finds out about this after you matriculate, you could be dismissed.

I was suspended from school for under a year and the notation was only on my records for less than one year. The notation was removed 2 years ago.

First of all, do I need to report this to med schools I apply to in USA and Canada?

The reason for suspension was not unethical (i.e. no plagiarism, no unauthorized aid, no cheating, no helping other students). It was due to a simple and honest mistake I made for which I was disciplined.

Someone I am familiar with was suspended for offering to raise a students grade while serving as a TA. Now the entire department knows about this student as he is flagged. Professors talk to each other and to risk a letter writer mention an incident would be detrimental to your chances.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Even though its not on your record, isn't there like a huge gap in your transcripts where you weren't at your home university or where you just totally withdrew from a semester? Even if it's not implicitly marked I think I've seen adcoms on here state that they know what that kind of discrepancy represents.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm really curious what could get you suspended for two academic terms but was not "unethical"

Reactions: 5 users
Do you really want to take the risk that some LOR writer will accidently out you by writing "rulingout has grown so much for the incident that got him/her suspended"

???

I have seen this happen, and we have rejected said candidates for their lack of honesty.

IF a med school somehow finds out about this after you matriculate, you could be dismissed.

If I do mention it somewhere on my applications (essays or otherwise), would I even be considered?

Someone I am familiar with was suspended for offering to raise a students grade while serving as a TA. Now the entire department knows about this student as he is flagged. Professors talk to each other and to risk a letter writer mention an incident would be detrimental to your chances.

Isn't these kind of things supposed to be kept confidential? How come the entire department would know about that individual?
The school several times have told me "we do not discuss the case outside of the involved professor, unless you tell someone". Is that basically a "lie" then?

Even though its not on your record, isn't there like a huge gap in your transcripts where you weren't at your home university or where you just totally withdrew from a semester? Even if it's not implicitly marked I think I've seen adcoms on here state that they know what that kind of discrepancy represents.

Very good point. It's foolish to think adcoms wouldn't know patterns like this. oh well is it even worth applying then?

This should have been on your primary as suspension was an IA. If you didnt do so, it is possible this can be reported back to AMCAS and, though unlikely, can trigger investigation and banning from AMCAS, thus never being a physician. This is why I always err on the side of cautionand note these things from the start

I havent applied to any schools yet. Given that I will report this on my applications, would I even be considered (realistically)?

Isn't these kind of things supposed to be kept confidential? How come the entire department would know about that individual?
The school several times have told me "we do not discuss the case outside of the involved professor, unless you tell someone". Is that basically a "lie" then?
Well professors are people too. They are all friends. Off the clock you don't know what they're saying to one another. I'm sure they're not suppose to but I mean we all share interesting things with our peers and professors are no exception I'm sure. Once again, this could be unique to just my institution and working in the Chem department I hear a lot from the faculty.

Without details of what the stupid mistake was I cant venture an opinion. There is a difference from being suspended for threatening a professor with a baseball bat or a pie in the face

it was more like a pie in the nostril of the prof (not actually but allegorically). So does the nature of misconduct matter?
If I am given an opportunity to explain it, that "may" matter to the adcoms? or is any misconduct a downright rejection?

it was more like a pie in the nostril of the prof (not actually but allegorically). So does the nature of misconduct matter?
If I am given an opportunity to explain it, that "may" matter to the adcoms? or is any misconduct a downright rejection?
No, any misconduct is not an outright rejection. That is why everybody is asking what the nature of the misconduct is so they can better advise you if you have a serious shot or not.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yea their definitely is a "range" of misconduct and universities handle them differently. Just depends what the issue in question was, but I understand if you'd rather not say here.

A friend of mine got expelled from a major state school on a three strike underage policy, graduated somewhere else and is now in the military. Hopes to go to med school through military someday. If what you did was serious and you want to rehab the image of your discipline this could be a long but rewarding route to that.

Last edited:
yeah i'm not comfortable sharing details here, you never know who's reading.
It was an "academic" misconduct.
I don't know if that helps anyone with their ability to help.

Last edited:
An academic misconduct that resulted in your suspension for nearly a year?

but never be admitted, is that what you may be implying?
I think everyone's been clear that you certainly can be admitted depending on the reason. At this point, you either share the reason or this thread ceases to be able to help you.

but never be admitted, is that what you may be implying?
If you don't apply, your rejection rate will be 100%.

I have to be honest though, cheating is not looked upon lightly. My clinician colleagues take professionalism vert seriously.

You may need several years of exemplary behavior between the incident and application before applying.

And an entire year of missing coursework would be asked about. Some schools ask on their secondaries.

Have a good Plan B.

You are going to have to give details that will be read by multiple adcoms. If you dont feel comfortable in expressing details here, I doubt you will feel comfortable there.

I made some marking on the front page of exam which made it seem like my exam was falsified and graded (but that was not my intention). If I had scratched it out before handing my exam back, it would have not been an issue, I was short in time and I didn't think those silly marks would confuse anyone, so I didn't care.

So you made these marking after the exam was handed in? Presuambly you got the exam back and graded, made markings, and then handed in back in with a question or grading dispute?

no i made the markings DURING the exam. I never touched the exam after it was handed in.

Dude, your whole story is confusing. Making marks on the top of your exam before you hand it in does not constitute grounds for a 1-year suspension (unless they were defamatory marks?). I feel like you're still hiding something here, so make sure it's cleaned up before you actually have to explain it to an admissions committee. If they get the feeling that you're still hiding something, you won't get in for sure.

Reactions: 4 users
So you have been "convicted" of academic misconducted and served your "sentence" of suspension and F in course. All your comments, defenses, statements are worse than useless as they will sound as excuses. whatever your intent was the school decided otherwise. That is the judgement now. Unless you were to get a lawyer, sue the school, get a court to order expunging of anything, you can only express your guilt, your fault, and your lesson learned. So unless you can do that and accept it, I wouldnt bother applying.

Why I am being harsh? If you cant fully and completely accept this, and you are fortunate to get interview, you will sound like you are making excuses. Whatever the reality of the situation was, judgement has found you guilty

Thank you.

???

Couldn't he just tell his letter writer, "my disciplinary history has been expunged, so if you could avoid mentioning it, I would greatly appreciate it" or something like that?

Couldn't he just tell his letter writer, "my disciplinary history has been expunged, so if you could avoid mentioning it, I would greatly appreciate it" or something like that?
He could tell letter-writers anything. But does he really want to have this sword hanging over his head? Would you?

???

wow...that's so interesting; I guess it shows, own your miscues and trust your better qualities shine through.