If the request for a deferral of a year is rejected...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted74029

Can they rescind your acceptance? How good of a reason do you need to get a deferral accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think they can rescind your acceptance if they reject your request. Now if you just don't show up, then you are kicked out and a student is taken off the waitlist.

Can they rescind your acceptance? How good of a reason do you need to get a deferral accepted?

I agree with bcat above. The worst thing that can happen is that they won't give you a deferral and you'll have to decide whether to attend, or withdraw. But you won't get rejected just for asking.

As for what's required to gain a deferral, I would think that would really vary school by school and person by person. Also, if the school is over-enrolled (i.e., they misjudged and more people decided to hold onto acceptances than they intended), they just may grant you a deferral quite easily. So, you may as well give it a shot. But I would definitely try to make the strongest case possible. You could also do some searches on SDN to find stories of successful deferral requests. I've certainly heard of it in the context of a sick family member that needed to be cared for, or a pregnancy. But I'm sure there are other instances as well (perhaps an amazing once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that would really complement an MD?).

Hey,

I asked for a deferral to continue teaching English in Japan at the two schools that accepted me, I asked one first, and got the ok to defer so i sent the SAME letter to the other one and they declined to defer me. So its very subjective and may rely on other factors such as overenrollment but it cant hurt you at all. You will just have to decide whether or not you can go to a school that doesnt defer you.

I agree with bcat above. The worst thing that can happen is that they won't give you a deferral and you'll have to decide whether to attend, or withdraw. But you won't get rejected just for asking.

As for what's required to gain a deferral, I would think that would really vary school by school and person by person. Also, if the school is over-enrolled (i.e., they misjudged and more people decided to hold onto acceptances than they intended), they just may grant you a deferral quite easily. So, you may as well give it a shot. But I would definitely try to make the strongest case possible. You could also do some searches on SDN to find stories of successful deferral requests. I've certainly heard of it in the context of a sick family member that needed to be cared for, or a pregnancy. But I'm sure there are other instances as well (perhaps an amazing once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that would really complement an MD?).