if the school bills the army directly...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exia80

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if the school bills the Army directly for the school medical insurance, then they pay the full amount without a cap right???

i know this has been discussed but i keep finding contradicting answers...does anyone know for sure???

Members don't see this ad.

What I have been told is that all tuition related fees are taken care of 100%. If your medical school requires health insurance like many universities then the army will pay for it. However non tuition related items like housing for example are not included.
I am not an official, this is just to the best of my knowledge. I am also a HPSP hopefull =)

yea but i know there is a cap on insurance for sure if you get insurance from a source otehr than what your school endorses...

UCB Shocker - they are required to pay what the school bills them....but i was told that they will not cover some stuff even though it is required by the school...i was told this by my school...i assume they know but i'll see once i start(one of the things was some kind of fee and the other was the disability insurance)...

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not be surprised, there are always exceptions. But I would expect them to be rare. I learn something new every day though =).

if the school mandates that you subscribe to its insurance, even though it's over the army stated maximum amount, then the army will still cover it. but remember, it's only at the single rate, the army will not cover any other dependents even if the school bills it.

at my school, the insurance is over the max, but b/c it is required of every student they pay for it.

k i learned something that really p*ssed me off today. my school bills insurance as a mandatory fee. but they bill the AF and Navy for the full amount but they bill the Army only for the $950 cap. they said the reason is that the army said they would not pay more. can they really do that? i cannot find a comparable insurance therefore my school insurance becomes mandatory and I dont see why it wouldnt be covered.

help please

exia80 said:
k i learned something that really p*ssed me off today. my school bills insurance as a mandatory fee. but they bill the AF and Navy for the full amount but they bill the Army only for the $950 cap. they said the reason is that the army said they would not pay more. can they really do that? i cannot find a comparable insurance therefore my school insurance becomes mandatory and I dont see why it wouldnt be covered.

help please

Probably something in the army reg that says that the max they pay is based on some sort of average charged in AZ schools. I'd ask someone at wherever it is you direct your bills for other stuff.

exia80 said:

help please

Is there something wrong with the school's insurance that makes you want so badly to go to outside companies? I would have thought that the school would come up with a pretty good plan at a reasonable deal. Just wondering...

My school has Blue Cross insurance for $2800/year... you think the AF will blink at this? is it way too high?

kaikai128 said:
Is there something wrong with the school's insurance that makes you want so badly to go to outside companies? I would have thought that the school would come up with a pretty good plan at a reasonable deal. Just wondering...

Exia wants to enroll in the school insurance, which exceeds the Army's cap of $950/yr. Because the school-sponsored insurance premium exceeds $950, she will have to pay the difference if the Army won't cover it. She could enroll in other lesser expensive programs in AZ, but the deductibles are extremely high.

kaikai128 said:

i want the school insurance

Last year, my Blue Cross policy was $2050/year. The army paid all of it. The $950/year is really for outside insurance policies (ie you go out and get your own policy)

I just had this discussion with one of the budget techs. yesterday who is going to enforce the $950.00 yearly cap. Basically, I pointed her to the HPSP handbook which recites an exception to the $950.00 limit (See Ch. 7, 7-3(f)(3) for the details). However, the Army is still only going to pay $950.00 to the school directly, I will have to get reimbursed the difference by submitting a cost data worksheet (CDW). I have been in the Army long enough to realize that for this policy, the answer you get is dependent on the person processing your paperwork. In the end you will get the cost of your insurance covered (i.e. at the single rate etc.) but you may have to do some calling and fill out paperwork.

Good luck

I made a deposit of $2500 to secure my spot back in May. The school said the deposit would be used towards my tuition. Would I be able to get the deposit back?

The most acclaimed dental student in NYC. The most criticized White House intern in Washington: "SonOfBush"

cptms said:
I just had this discussion with one of the budget techs. yesterday who is going to enforce the $950.00 yearly cap. Basically, I pointed her to the HPSP handbook which recites an exception to the $950.00 limit (See Ch. 7, 7-3(f)(3) for the details). However, the Army is still only going to pay $950.00 to the school directly, I will have to get reimbursed the difference by submitting a cost data worksheet (CDW). I have been in the Army long enough to realize that for this policy, the answer you get is dependent on the person processing your paperwork. In the end you will get the cost of your insurance covered (i.e. at the single rate etc.) but you may have to do some calling and fill out paperwork.

Good luck

yea my finantial aid dept. said the Army told them they are not allowed to billl more than the cap...which sounds like total bs since they are allowed to bill the AF and Navy directly

do you jsut cite the rest on the CDW???

exia80 said:
yea my finantial aid dept. said the Army told them they are not allowed to billl more than the cap...which sounds like total bs since they are allowed to bill the AF and Navy directly

do you jsut cite the rest on the CDW???

I was told that I would have to pay the difference out of pocket, then submit proof of payment with the CDW along with a letter from the school stating that the insurance (at that price) was required of all medical students. Take a look at chapter 7-3 of the handbook to make sure I haven't forgotten something. I'll post again after I submit everything and get paid. Total waste of time but I refuse to pay for health insurance as it is a benefit we are due in full according to the HPSP regs/policy. Wish me luck.

SonOfBush said:
I made a deposit of $2500 to secure my spot back in May. The school said the deposit would be used towards my tuition. Would I be able to get the deposit back?

The most acclaimed dental student in NYC. The most criticized White House intern in Washington: "SonOfBush"
Have your school bill your service for the entire tuition. Then the school should reimburse the deposit that you paid to you.

I have a different problem. This year, DMU decided to bill the insurance to the student rather than include it in tuition, so it came out of my loan check. Problem is they only billed for half the insurance (the other half will be billed with the spring semester I suppose). So I have to fill out a cost data sheet for reimbursement. Problem is when I do the same thing in January I bet the military refuses reimbursement. Crunk.