If there is one spot in particular where I REALLY want to do an away...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

falmouth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anything I can/should do to increase my chances of rotating there? Contacting the visiting student coordinator, contacting the program coordinator, etc?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anything I can/should do to increase my chances of rotating there? Contacting the visiting student coordinator, contacting the program coordinator, etc?

Thank you!
I'm assuming its bad form to contact program coordinators?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm assuming its bad form to contact program coordinators?

You can contact the person running the rotation (usually an administrator of some sort). I would be sure not to be too pushy and I would definitely not hassle the program director as he/she usually does not directly handle student rotations.

Reactions: 1 user
You can contact the person running the rotation (usually an administrator of some sort). I would be sure not to be too pushy and I would definitely not hassle the program director as he/she usually does not directly handle student rotations.
I'm curious about this as well!

Is the running the rotation usually different than the program Coordinator? I'm sorry I am not exactly sure how dermatology programs are normally set up!

So basically, it's important not to contact the program director, who is usually an M.D. But it might be alright to contact the program coordinator, who may or may not be in charge of handling the rotation. Is this generally correct?

Sorry for my ignorance, and thank you for your help!

Is the running the rotation usually different than the program Coordinator? I'm sorry I am not exactly sure how dermatology programs are normally set up!

So basically, it's important not to contact the program director, who is usually an M.D. But it might be alright to contact the program coordinator, who may or may not be in charge of handling the rotation. Is this generally correct?

Yes. This will differ from program to program. Our program coordinator (typically the support person running the administrative portions of the residency) is different from the student coordinator (typically the support person running the student rotation) is different from the program director (a physician running the residency). I've done aways where the program coordinator also happens to be the student coordinator.

It's fine to contact the first two (politely) and ask to be directed to the person running the student rotation but I would not bug the program director about an away position.

The Program Director for the residency program is not always the faculty member in charge of the Dermatology clerkship. The Program Director usually has a lot of things on his/her plate. The scheduling and approving of clerkships for medical students is usually not one of them.

I think part of the reason why VSAS was created is that students would frequently bypass official channels and start badgering faculty to try to force their way into an elective.

Most likely the program coordinator is in charge of the clerkship (although there may be a separate student coordinator if a dept. has enough funds to hire a separate administrative person). If not, he/she will send you the contact of the person who is in charge of the clerkship. Definitely do not bother the PD with this issue.