If there was one thing you wished you learned during residency what would it be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeratinPearls

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all practicing pathologists, if there was one thing you wished you learned (or learned better) during residency what would it be?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will not know everything when you finish residency. I would even say you may not even know most things. The most important thing you can learn is what to do when you don't know the answer. Also, learn how to talk on your feet to a clinician when you don't know the answer and need to sound intelligent.

It isn't about knowing it. It is about selling it.

:thumbup:

There are a lot of important things to learn, but most residencies do a decent job of addressing them. It's the things most programs don't think to really teach that can be a kicker -- you'll be able to survive, sure, but it's not the same as having had a strong educational background in certain things first. But, as people have suggested in another thread regarding PGY-1's, when you first get an attending job there will be a whole new learning curve, and no matter what, when you're "on your own" for the first time there will be bumps. That's where I really agree that you need to know when you don't know something, what to do when that happens, and how to give your clinicians confidence that you'll do the best possible for them and their patients.

Management issues i.e. contracts, things like that. General concepts about billing and reimbursement (more than just what corresponds to what CPT code).

How to bang a seven gram rock before sign out and leave the hospital after previewing with two godesses