If US economy collapses...then what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crackdat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, fellow sdners and dentists! I have been reading much about our current economic situation and deliberate uncontrolled spending and rising deficit. If 10 years from now, the US economy goes into major depression and eventually a collapse of US dollars...what do you smart people think will be the outlook of dentistry during those times? How bad do you think it will affect the dentists in terms of money and stress? I have always thought of healthcare careers to be recession proof but it seems like physicians will do OK because of the constant influx of patients. But I think dentistry is a bit less appealing to the major populations because they can wait it out. As long as symptoms dont persist, they will not visit a dentist for regular appointments. but they would have to visit the physician for their refills of prescriptions and what not.

The reason i am asking this question is because i am a bit skeptical about the future of dentists when US economy collapses if we keep going the way we are currently.

This forum is in reference to WHAT IF?? the US economy collapses..then what???

Members don't see this ad.

to say what if symptoms don't persist doesn't seem to be plausible. It fair to assume that symptoms will continue to persist and eventually keep getting worse until treated and by that time they'll be in for an expensive visit. And obviously this wait period will be for a couple of years not a couple of weeks or months I can't imagine anyone having dental problems to wait years before seeing a dentist.

If the economy collapses, it doesn't matter what symptoms persist, no one will have any $. Sure, they'll still come in for treatment, but yourcollections rate will go down the toilet...if you want recession-proof, become a senator.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the economy collapses, it doesn't matter what symptoms persist, no one will have any $. Sure, they'll still come in for treatment, but yourcollections rate will go down the toilet...if you want recession-proof, become a senator.
HAHAHA!! The senators are the first to go in a recession they are very good fall guys.

If the US economy crashes then the world economy comes to an end. If the world economy comes to and end, then the world comes to an end. Simple as that.

If fact, I've never understood why some people in other countries want the U.S to fail. Simply b/c if we go down, then they're riding shotgun. :laugh:

So you guys think pursuing a career in medicine rather than dentistry would be a safer choice for future endeavors, if US economy were to crash????what do you ppl thnk? Also, how many of you know of dentists that are not affiliated with any insurance companies...meaning dentists that are out of network? Do you guys know of dentists that take only cash, credit or check...I work at a psychiatric clinic that only takes cash, credit and check and each physician nets 12000 monthly after all taxes and office expenses including malpractice and all. Are there such possibilities in dentistry?

So you guys think pursuing a career in medicine rather than dentistry would be a safer choice for future endeavors, if US economy were to crash????what do you ppl thnk? Also, how many of you know of dentists that are not affiliated with any insurance companies...meaning dentists that are out of network? Do you guys know of dentists that take only cash, credit or check...I work at a psychiatric clinic that only takes cash, credit and check and each physician nets 12000 monthly after all taxes and office expenses including malpractice and all. Are there such possibilities in dentistry?

No you should do psychiatry!!!:D

HAHAHA!! The senators are the first to go in a recession they are very good fall guys.

Sure, but when they go, they take all that $ they extorted with them...right up until they're assasinated. How many "asses" are in "assassinated...assasinated" anyway? It's probably assassinated, since I'm talking about politicians...