if we have a low ece gpa then what are our options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

godbless

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,
please help me, i have a very low ece gpa of 2.05........though my wes gpa is better, but what are my options , i have been to interview at upenn, no more interview calls, i am so frustated, cant go beyond the east coast, the two univs with max number of seats on the east coast,NYU and BU take only ece, this is so frustating, somone please help, what are my options????I AM SO SAD :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Wish I could help you with some advice. One of my friends has the same problem. He is confused too. :( Not able to figure out anything....He said he will try and get a good part 1 score. I dunno how much will that help though.

godbless said:
hey everyone,
please help me, i have a very low ece gpa of 2.05........though my wes gpa is better, but what are my options , i have been to interview at upenn, no more interview calls, i am so frustated, cant go beyond the east coast, the two univs with max number of seats on the east coast,NYU and BU take only ece, this is so frustating, somone please help, what are my options????

Hey godbless

I think your best option is to retake Part I. Try to get a 90+ score. I think once you have a score like that, your ECE GPA no longer matters that much. NYU is the only school that I know of that puts an emphasis on one's GPA. With schools like BU, once your score is 90 or above, they don't really look at your GPA. Good luck. Hang in there. I'm sure you'll get in eventually. You don't have any control over your ECE GPA now, but what you have control over, to a large extent, is your part I score. Try to take advantage of that. Another option is to try to work/volunteer as a DA. To me, you don't really get any dental experience in doing that because you don't get to carry out any clinical procedures on patients, but at least it lets you keep in touch with the "dental field".

Members don't see this ad :)
cheer_up said:
Hey godbless

I think your best option is to retake Part I. Try to get a 90+ score. I think once you have a score like that, your ECE GPA no longer matters that much. NYU is the only school that I know of that puts an emphasis on one's GPA. With schools like BU, once your score is 90 or above, they don't really look at your GPA. Good luck. Hang in there. I'm sure you'll get in eventually. You don't have any control over your ECE GPA now, but what you have control over, to a large extent, is your part I score. Try to take advantage of that. Another option is to try to work/volunteer as a DA. To me, you don't really get any dental experience in doing that because you don't get to carry out any clinical procedures on patients, but at least it lets you keep in touch with the "dental field".

Cheer up .....you really cheered me up. You are so right. I will email your post to my friend right away. It will surely encourage him too.
Good job :)

dentistjas said:
Cheer up .....you really cheered me up. You are so right. I will email your post to my friend right away. It will surely encourage him too.
Good job :)

Hey dentistjas

No worries, buddy. I'm glad I cheered you up :D

im on the same situation too godbless dont worry we will be in just be strong enough and eat a lot of vegetables hehehhehe, cheer up oayt!

godbless said:
hey everyone,
please help me, i have a very low ece gpa of 2.05........though my wes gpa is better, but what are my options , i have been to interview at upenn, no more interview calls, i am so frustated, cant go beyond the east coast, the two univs with max number of seats on the east coast,NYU and BU take only ece, this is so frustating, somone please help, what are my options????I AM SO SAD :confused:
Hey God Bless.
I found this in the "Acceptance Thread", and thought it might give you some hope.
Although every application is viewed differently, I thought it may inspire you to do your best in getting a better part I score, in hopes of addmision.

nbde 1-92.

g.p.a-2.26

toefl-263
B.D.S-K.L.E DENTAL BANGLORE,INDIA.
WORK EXPERIENCE-2 YRS IN INDIA AND 2YRS AD DA IN NJ.
SCHOOLS APPLIED;NYU,BU,UPENN,UMN,BUFFALO,UDM.
INTERVIEWED AT BU,UPENN,UMN AND CALL FROM BUFFALO.
ACCEPTED AT-UPENN

Good luck !

hi,
thanks nile bds,
i talked to that person, she is in upenn now, but u cant bank upen upenn ever, they r so unpredictable n call tpp many people, i was there for interview this year n got rejected...........but anyways what can i do, just keep trying........

godbless said:
hi,
thanks nile bds,
i talked to that person, she is in upenn now, but u cant bank upen upenn ever, they r so unpredictable n call tpp many people, i was there for interview this year n got rejected...........but anyways what can i do, just keep trying........
True.
I personally think that you have a pretty strong application and dental background for UPENN to call you for an interview with a GPA like that one you have.
If it is of any consolidation, I am studying to retake part I too. We'll keep eachothers spirits up !
Good Luck !

HI,
i was wondering if a low gpa is a hurdle, is a good gpa like 4 from ece covers ur poor scores like 83-85 in part I .
I am espically concerned to know abt the univ in california.

Dushyant said:
HI,
i was wondering if a low gpa is a hurdle, is a good gpa like 4 from ece covers ur poor scores like 83-85 in part I .
I am espically concerned to know abt the univ in california.

May or may not be. GPA is not that important at least in UCSF. But CA schools do call people with 83-85 scores from time to time. Single most important criteria is Part I score and a high score does compensate for low GPA. In the current climate a reverse scenario is plainly getting lucky!