If Working in Medicine was really like an unrealistic television show.....

Team Zissou

10+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
Hey Guys,

This thread is more for fun than nething.. Hopefully this will be a little relief over the usual youre not getting in type threads.

Anyways, I was just wondering if working in medicine was really like an unrealistic television show, which one would you want it to be like? Scrubs, Grey's, House, ER, St. Elsewhere, Becker, whatever else there ever was.. Also, who do you think you most relate with on the show of your choice and why??

About the Ads

panther42

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Doogie was a fantastic show. Who can forget the episode where had to give Wanda a pelvic exam, that was just great material.

I'd have to say Grey's Anatomy though, simply because everyone would be extremely good looking and you know you'd be getting plenty of action on the job.

HumbleMD

hmmmm...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2006
East Coast
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I always liked Dr. Fleishman from Northern Exposure (probably too old of a show for most) - the isolated city-boy Doctor in Alaska, constantly interracting with a smoking hot pilot, and an Indigenous receptionist in his office with a snarky attitude...

Grey's Anatomy is my favorite show, but all of the characters are so flawed (and so trashy)! I guess I'd say Bailey but then I'd have to have a sex-change operation...

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Scrubs :thumbup:

(Though House would be great - seems like anyone who needs a transplant gets one in 2 or 3 days... it would be wonderful if life was like that)

sunnyjohn

Got Mustard?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
In a world all my own.
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Beginning its six-year run in 1982, St. Elsewhere was neither television's first ensemble medical drama nor, heaven knows, its last. Yet this four-disc set of all 22 episodes from the first season is a reminder that this was, and still is, one of the very best. Even now, when "reality" programming blights the landscape like some biblical plague, doc, cop, and lawyer shows remain staples of the medium, and while the likes of C.S.I., E.R., and Grey's Anatomy have it all over St. Elsewhere in the sizzle department--the production values are much flashier, the content sexier, more graphic, and faster-moving, the technology both in front of and behind the camera light years more sophisticated--the older show, despite its somewhat cheesy '70s vibe, is the hands-down winner when it comes to the actual steak. That's because it does it the old-fashioned way: by relying on good writing, vividly-drawn, identifiable characters, and excellent performances by an eye-opening group of actors.

Co-creators Joshua Brand and John Falsey's pilot episode, which establishes the scene at Boston's St. Eligius Hospital (mocked as "St. Elsewhere" due to its rundown facilities and reputation as a "dumping ground" for the poor and disenfranchised), isn't especially promising. While we can see right away that the show sports a lighter, more humorous tone than others of its genre, the direction is static, the acting and dialogue are often stiff, and what passes for "chaos" is pretty tame. But it hits its stride almost immediately thereafter, as the characters (including Howie Mandel's wisecracking Dr. Fiscus, David Morse's driven, committed Dr. Morrison, William Daniels' egotistical, pompous Dr. Craig, and Ed Begley, Jr.'s nerdy Dr. Ehrlich) are more fully realized. The cast, in fact, may be the most impressive ever assembled for a TV program: in the first season alone, the list of actors with regular, recurring, and one-shot appearances includes future movie stars Denzel Washington (a regular, but his role is minor), Tim Robbins, Ally Sheedy, Christopher Guest, Laraine Newman, Ray Liotta, Tom Hulce, Michael Madsen, and Rae Dawn Chong. Sure, some of the multiple storylines are dated: the handling of issues like gun control, immigration, and terrorism seems almost quaint by today's standards, and a running gag concerning ladies man Dr. Samuels' (David Birney) having to inform his many lovers that he has gonorrhea comes off as tasteless and unfunny, notwithstanding that era's low awareness of AIDS and other STDs. But on the whole, this St. Elsewhere set (extras include audio commentary for "Cora and Arnie," plus four featurettes) is a reminder of episodic TV at its best. --Sam Graham

M

Mr. McDuck

Uh, you seem to be forgetting Chicago Hope. Paging Doctor Shutt, paging Doctor Shutt.

Orthonut

Garryowen
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2006
Whisky Tango Foxtrot? Over.
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Scrubs!

I think I'd be a female JD. I always seem to get the calls/odd patients/wierd situations, and I'm not incredibly over-the-top sexist (lilke The Todd) nor do I have a personality (cry/hide in the closet) like Elliot's. My own best DVM friend would fit just great as "my" Turk too. Strangely, now that I think of it our boss would make a great Dr Cox...

On the other hand, M*A*S*H would be good too...I loved that movie and still watch the reruns...I would most definately NOT be "hot lips" lol. I'd probably be Hunnicut

chad5871

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2006
New York, NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
I always liked Dr. Fleishman from Northern Exposure (probably too old of a show for most) - the isolated city-boy Doctor in Alaska, constantly interracting with a smoking hot pilot, and an Indigenous receptionist in his office with a snarky attitude...

My Dad introduced me to the show last year and I must say it's one of my favorites. All of the actors are so excellent -- they make the stories truly believable. And of course Marilyn is one of the best characters ever in television history.

About the Ads

WCGee

Super Awesome Person
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
House. Just so I can be near him and soak up his awesomeness. :D

melissainsd

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
erm, i'd hang out w/ drs. mark greene and john carter.

No way, ER is the last place I would want to be. They are always getting held hostage/stabbed/blowing up. I mean they even had a helicopter crash on top of a doc (that had lost his arm to a helicopter blade).

Scrubs would be the most fun. I guess I'd be a doc version of Carla.

baylormed

On the Search
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2005
Right behind you
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
House. Just so I can be near him and soak up his awesomeness. :D

Keep in mind you'll also have to soak up his abuse while doing so. But yeah, it would be kind of cool. I love their "differential diagnosis" time when they work as a team, it would be nice to do that for every patient in real life.

WCGee

Super Awesome Person
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Keep in mind you'll also have to soak up his abuse while doing so. But yeah, it would be kind of cool. I love their "differential diagnosis" time when they work as a team, it would be nice to do that for every patient in real life.

His abuse is part of his charm. I'll take House any way I can get him! ;)

BigKurz

10+ Year Member
May 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I'd like like the opportunity to play Dr. Cox. Walking around, making bada$$ statements all day, and calling my least favorite colleague girl names. Plus his son is pretty awesome, too.

Tired Pigeon

10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'd be House -- just to be able to speak my mind to anyone at any time. And not to have to bother being nice to annoying, obnoxious patients and colleagues.

About the Ads

Ms MD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Am I the only pre-med who's not into these doctor/medical shows?? (well, maybe except for House & Dr. 90210). But shows like scrubs/ER just seemed too scripted for me ... and they kind of played down the seriousness of medicine to me [maybe I'm just crazy]

Tired Pigeon

10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Am I the only pre-med who's not into these doctor/medical shows?? (well, maybe except for House & Dr. 90210). But shows like scrubs/ER just seemed too scripted for me ... and they kind of played down the seriousness of medicine to me [maybe I'm just crazy]

Oh no, playing down the seriousness of medicine!! :scared:

sashie19

10+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2006
Georgia
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Scrubs! I'm somewhere between an Elliot and a female JD.

Although, House would be cool. For some reason, I think I'd kinda enjoy the abuse...would remind me of one of my old teachers.

Team Zissou

10+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2006
Status (Visible)

No, i think the problem Ms MD, is that you're the only premed who actually takes ER/Scrubs seriously.

Ms MD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
alright, alright *foot in mouth*

chad5871

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2006
New York, NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Oh no, not me! Those people have waaaaay too many issues. Not to mention that they're stranded on an island with no plumbing system or potable water. :eek:

What about the hatch? And they do have water bottles, thermoses, etc. I think I would want to be Jack, too, but just because he has a sweet name. ;)

baylormed

On the Search
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2005
Right behind you
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
What about the hatch? And they do have water bottles, thermoses, etc. I think I would want to be Jack, too, but just because he has a sweet name. ;)

Well, they'll eventually run out of water bottles and food, and they'll have to drink from the river/lake/pond.

However, if you were Jack, I would totally date you (so long as you move out of that island). ;)

MessyJessie

10+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Scrubs ... badass Carla all the way

By the way (grammar biotch here), your title should say "If working medicine WERE really like..." You need the subjunctive because it is unlikely (we hope!) that medicine will ever be like TV drama.

Team Zissou

10+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
Dear MessyJessie,

I believe it's spelled bitch. (another grammar bitch here.. and by that I mean in a female dog type of way).

rcd

.2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Scrubs. I want to be Dr. Kevin Casey (played by Michael J. Fox) because he's the best there is.

And don't forget Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.