If you are going to take PART 2, read this ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teru78

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to post a note that I received from ASDA.
My intention is not to discourage you to take PART 2, just to let you know what's happening. And if you have taken PART 2 a couple months ago and failed, don't be dissappointed. :thumbup: If you had a good score, please let us know what study material you use. Thanks

ASDA's Response to Concerns Regarding Failure Rate for NBDE II

Dear ASDA Member,
It has come to the attention of the Board of Trustees that the national rate of failure on the NDBE Part II has increased significantly over the past few months. The Board is currently taking action to build concrete evidence of this change. We are requesting support from the Deans, the American Dental Education Association (ADEA) and the American Dental Association (ADA) to ensure that the exam is fair to all students and secure.
The Joint Commission that facilitates the exam has identified that this increase affects dental students nationwide. However, statistical data has not yet been compiled that illustrates the severity of the failure rate. We will begin discussions with all interested parties, including dental school Deans, ADEA, the ADA, the Joint Commission and other student dental groups. We hope to come to a resolution as soon as possible that is in the best interest of students and the profession.
Sincerely,
Timothy Moriarty
President
American Student Dental Association
University of Connecticut DSIV

Members don't see this ad.

Please post this note in the NBDE part 2 score thread and part 2 experience thread also.

People come out and support this, it might change things for the good and esp those who failed with a mark or two..who knows after all the discussions, they change the score scale or might do some other changes and you guys might pass.....

So try your best and participate in the discussions.

Good luck :)

I took my part 2 in september 2009 and failed...I did 70%...My test was extremely difficult...I studied for 3 months...Sincerely, I don't know what to study...Now, I am studying Mosby, dental decks, Rudmann's, Kaplan and whatever material available...I am planning to retake on august...I am studying around 2 to 3 hours per day since I am very busy in the dental school....:eek:

I took my part 2 in september 2009 and failed...I did 70%...My test was extremely difficult...I studied for 3 months...Sincerely, I don't know what to study...Now, I am studying Mosby, dental decks, Rudmann's, Kaplan and whatever material available...I am planning to retake on august...I am studying around 2 to 3 hours per day since I am very busy in the dental school....:eek:

What part do you feel it was the most difficult? Were the questions very tricky? SOmetimes I feel that those test are not made to see how much a student know about the subjet, but instead to complicate the exam with questions that are very tricky.
I schedule my test for April.
What dental school are you in? Do you feel that you are learning something new??
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, Prostho and Oral Path very difficult for me...some general tricky questions asking about St.John's wort, and how much fat daily intake we should have according to FDA??? I am retaking in August...I am at La Salle dental school...I am learning a lot about Pros since the teacher is amazing...I didn't like so much Operative teacher(one of them) the other one is fine...ortho and surgery are good too...and perio isn't good...bt any school is perfect!!!!How about you???what school are you in??? first time taking part 2???

Hi all,
I ve a really urgent ques. I have part 2 exam tomorrow n I cant postpone it further. I want to ask that if I do not clear the exam n if I need to retake , then will the no. of attempts be mentioned in the marksheet..which can spoil the resume just like in USMLE. I know the ques sound weird but its imp. for me. Plz. reply asap.

Thanks

I guess there's no such thing....They just want to see if you passed and your score...they don't have information of how many times you retook it....

Hi all,
I ve a really urgent ques. I have part 2 exam tomorrow n I cant postpone it further. I want to ask that if I do not clear the exam n if I need to retake , then will the no. of attempts be mentioned in the marksheet..which can spoil the resume just like in USMLE. I know the ques sound weird but its imp. for me. Plz. reply asap.

Thanks

Hi Perl. How was your exam??? Did you think it was really difficult? I am going to start studying now to take part 2. I hope you did well:xf::)!!! As far as the amount of attempts, it DOES NOT show. What shows is your passing grade so no worries...

Well, Prostho and Oral Path very difficult for me...some general tricky questions asking about St.John's wort, and how much fat daily intake we should have according to FDA??? I am retaking in August...I am at La Salle dental school...I am learning a lot about Pros since the teacher is amazing...I didn't like so much Operative teacher(one of them) the other one is fine...ortho and surgery are good too...and perio isn't good...bt any school is perfect!!!!How about you???what school are you in??? first time taking part 2???

Hi Maia,

I still trying to get into a dental school. This will be my first time taking part 2 in May. I'm studying pharmacology, that's for me one of the most difficult topic because of all the names of the differents drugs and enzymes. Did you find a lot of repeated questions?
Last year, I had interview in CHicago and USC, but not luck. :(

Hi Maia,

I still trying to get into a dental school. This will be my first time taking part 2 in May. I'm studying pharmacology, that's for me one of the most difficult topic because of all the names of the differents drugs and enzymes. Did you find a lot of repeated questions?

I can see your pain, I took part II a couple of years ago. I found the case studies and pharmacology difficult, but I was lucky, My husband has a PharmD and B.S. in pharmacy, he helped me with cases and pharmacology, he knows most of Part II pharmacology and drugs, that really helped me. I got the highest score on the pharmacology out of all the sections. If you can find a pharmacist or pharmacy professor for difficult questions it may help

Dentalbug

Hey Teru!!!
well, sincerely the only subject I passed was pharm...hahahaha....Yes, I found a lot of repeats...study remembered questions...Don't give up...hang in there...be confident in your interviews....Keep studying and don't forget who you are...You are a dentist and not a dental assistant or hygienist or anything else....whenever I retake part 2 I let you know about it....where are you from????
take care :)

Update Regarding Failure Rate for NBDE II

Dear ASDA Member:

Many of you have expressed concern regarding the reported increase in the failure rate on the National Board Dental Exam Part II, and have inquired about ASDA's efforts in investigating the issue.

ASDA has made your concerns clear to the leaders of the American Dental Association and the American Dental Education Association. At the recent ADEA meeting, I spoke with ADEA President Dr. Ron Hunt, as well as the ADEA Council on Students, and both were already aware of the increase in failure rates and concerns about the exam. The ADEA Council of Deans specifically discussed this issue, and Dr. Gene Kramer of the Joint Commission presented data from 2009 on the exam that illustrated a dramatic increase in failure rates. The ADA provided us with a summary of some of this data.

I've also been in direct contact with ADA President Dr. Ron Tankersley, who reassured me that your concerns about the exam will be addressed. The Joint Commission meets in April, and they will provide answers to many of your questions. ASDA will update you with more information at that point. Please be assured that we are working on your behalf to the best of our ability to ensure that the exam is fair and secure.

hey guys..i need a help 4m u..pleaseee if any one of u can forward me the material for part 2..i vil greatfull 4 d act..i have cleard my part 1 got 90 in dat...

I alrady took part 2. For me, it was veryyyy difficult.... i pass with a 78 ...
dental decks help but not so much as in part 1 for me.... so try to read from other sources too...... study statistics also... they ask you some questions like who do you think have more cavities? black, white or spanish???? so the test is a surprise sometimes.... i felt that i read so much and then this questions made me go down in my grade.........
good luck to all of you

Hi Maia,

hey i am also in u r same situation,,interviewed in chicago last yr,,but no luck..planning to take part 2 soon,,so wat r u focussing on?? i mean which materials r u using??dont worry v will definitely make it this time..

Hi Shibab,

I remember you. Not luck for us last year in Chicago. You cannot imagine how disappointed I am because of that. I think I really waisted a very good opportunity. I had an idea about what they were to ask in the interview and I did not prepare well. I hope I can get a second chance this year. I will try my best is they call me for interview this year. I'm going to apply after I take PArt 2.
I'm using dental decks, Mosby and released exams.
What about you? When do you plan to take PArt2? :)

hey i am also in u r same situation,,interviewed in chicago last yr,,but no luck..planning to take part 2 soon,,so wat r u focussing on?? i mean which materials r u using??dont worry v will definitely make it this time..

Hi Shibab,

I remember you. Not luck for us last year in Chicago. You cannot imagine how disappointed I am because of that. I think I really waisted a very good opportunity. I had an idea about what they were to ask in the interview and I did not prepare well. I hope I can get a second chance this year. I will try my best is they call me for interview this year. I'm going to apply after I take PArt 2.

I got reject from chicago too last year. giving part 2 thsi year and applying. when are u going to give it?? I am so scared abt part 2,hop i do waell.

I hope we make it thees year.

I am aware of the increase in the failure rate of the National board dental examination part 2. I took it in January 2010 and failed with 70, the exam was extremely hard, I studied for 1 months full time using dental decks and old exams, however there where a lot of questions about research topics.
Can you please advise me when would better to retake it and what to study besides dental decks 2008 and old exams.

Thank you.
:)
I'm going to post a note that I received from ASDA.
My intention is not to discourage you to take PART 2, just to let you know what's happening. And if you have taken PART 2 a couple months ago and failed, don't be dissappointed. :thumbup: If you had a good score, please let us know what study material you use. Thanks

ASDA's Response to Concerns Regarding Failure Rate for NBDE II

Dear ASDA Member,
It has come to the attention of the Board of Trustees that the national rate of failure on the NDBE Part II has increased significantly over the past few months. The Board is currently taking action to build concrete evidence of this change. We are requesting support from the Deans, the American Dental Education Association (ADEA) and the American Dental Association (ADA) to ensure that the exam is fair to all students and secure.
The Joint Commission that facilitates the exam has identified that this increase affects dental students nationwide. However, statistical data has not yet been compiled that illustrates the severity of the failure rate. We will begin discussions with all interested parties, including dental school Deans, ADEA, the ADA, the Joint Commission and other student dental groups. We hope to come to a resolution as soon as possible that is in the best interest of students and the profession.
Sincerely,
Timothy Moriarty
President
American Student Dental Association
University of Connecticut DSIV

If you took the test, you must have clicked on the box entitled "I will not discuss contents of the test" to access the test. Ironic

Hi Shibab,

where r u located ? m in chicago and planning for part 2.