Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

If you are NOT a biology major..post here!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by BerkeleyPremed, Apr 8, 2004.

1. BerkeleyPremed

BerkeleyPremed Membership Revoked
    Removed

Please post your major and why you decided to major in that field. I'm lumping biochem majors in with bio majors so please don't post here if you're in biology, molecular biology, or biochemistry.

I'll start off. I'm declaring political science and I choose this field after taking comparitive politics and realizing that I really would not mind attending a school of foreign service after undergrad to earn a Master's in International Relations or Foreign Affairs. I enjoy studying international relations and I actively read (and have a subscription to) Foreign Affairs and I'll probably purchase a subscription to The Economist as well. I enjoy writing papers in poli sci and don't really consider it "work" at all.

I haven't checked the MSAR...but I heard that humanities majors have a HIGHER rate of admission to medical school than biology majors. I think Nutmeg mentioned this in one of his posts. Is this true? Also, does anyone know the MCAT average for humanities/social science majors? My advisor in the college of letters and science told me that medical schools will look favorably on applicants who didn't follow the cookie-cutter, traditional path to med school. I'm defining the "cookie-cutter" path as declaring biology as your major, doing hospital volunteering, and lab research. I'm not trying to knock people who volunteer in hospitals or do research, I'm just stating that it's become far too common among applicants.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sgilani

sgilani Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

political science major
    history minor
    spanish minor

you are not alone my friend.

4. frick

frick Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

physics (/biochem)

5. acretinmelon

acretinmelon Member
    7+ Year Member

Psychology, English minor. Have always loved pop psychology and literature; did not realize I would grow to hate neuroscience (anticipated loving it).

Incidentally--I came thisclose to switching to at least a poli sci minor, if not major, last december, but our three best profs are leaving. I might still take some classes just for fun but I already had one I loved and might not have a lot of time for more.

6. brats800

brats800 cheesehead
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    kinesiolgy
    i loved physiology and would rather study it in relation to humans and sports performance than in relation to plants and animals...more applicable to what i want to do / enjoy :)

7. rambo

rambo Slightly Evil
    7+ Year Member

Religion/Philosophy

Not sure which I'll end up in. I like them both, and they give me opportunities to learn things I won't be able to learn in medical school. I find that the fact that there are no distinct answers to the questions in these fields provides a nice balance to the fact-based curriculum of the pre-med science courses.

8. Brickhouse

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you get anything less than an A in any class I'm gonna call you dumb as rocks for the rest of your life.:p

9. lyragrl

lyragrl Mold-a-rama fan
    7+ Year Member

BA is in History from Carleton
    MA is in International Policy Studies (a.k.a. International Relations) from Stanford

10. linus

linus fly tux.
    7+ Year Member

these are all wimpy :p

i'm cs.

11. rambo

rambo Slightly Evil
    7+ Year Member

http://orlandobloom.isgay.com

:hardy:

12. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer

Attending Physician
    Math/Philosophy, no reason I just randomly drew my major from a hat. Bio major or not I think you are a lamo gunner.

13. Marina9

Marina9 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

History of Science. Bio is cool and interesting, but we'll be studying it forever, why not try something different?

14. Pinkertinkle

Pinkertinkle 2003 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Because we're interested in it and can't get enough?

15. Thundrstorm

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Biochem major. Oops, sorry, I'm not allowed to post here. Maybe if I suddenly change my major to a non-science, I'll be cool enough to start threads like this. :laugh:

16. ASDIC

ASDIC The 9th Flotilla
    15+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Economics and Biochemistry...i will doing a MD/MBA dual degree

17. underAchiever

underAchiever leoni ridenti
    7+ Year Member

Aeronautical science. Would love to do search and rescue flights, emergency evac, bay flight etc.

18. Spitting Camel

Spitting Camel Anteater for Life!
    7+ Year Member

19. DMBFan

DMBFan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

English and Econ double major

20. crazygal

crazygal Member
    7+ Year Member

Exercise Science, but it is essentially Human Biology. Brats800 you are so right....why would i study the physiology/anatomy of animals when I can study humans?

21. Pontifex Maximus

Pontifex Maximus Rads-a-palooza

Resident [Any Field]
    Chemistry. I enjoy it, and things make sense to me.

22. bruinrab

bruinrab Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    English (and Biology).

23. Luthertaketwo

Luthertaketwo Membership Revoked
    Removed

Biochemistry is a chemistry degree, isn't it? It generally requires like 15 credits of bio and 35+ of chemistry.

24. jhk43

jhk43 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

physiks

25. sunkists

sunkists im a fatty
    7+ Year Member

26. OnMyWayThere

OnMyWayThere OMS-III
    10+ Year Member

27. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios
    7+ Year Member

bio and polisci, and luvin it

28. Brickhouse

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SOCIOLOGY

:laugh: And I got into medical school! HAHAHAHahahahaha......

29. shurl

shurl New Member

Finance :sleep:

30. Thundrstorm

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    At my school, Biochem has 1 more required chem class compared to bio, but we have the option of taking our upper level electives in either dept., and I am doing most of mine in bio. I think it varies by school, but at mine, it's truly a joint major.

31. BigRedPingpong

BigRedPingpong Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

H.B.H.S.

Cornellians should know what this is

32. HooahDOc

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Psychology. At first I just settled into it, but I actually like it and get a lot out of it. However, I really wish I had double majored in Psychology/Religion.

4 credits from a chemistry minor but I'm not going to do it.

33. Luthertaketwo

Luthertaketwo Membership Revoked
    Removed

Strange. Do you only have biology specializations in cell/molecular bio and/or genetics??

All we have for bio majors here is 1 year of general chem and 1 year organic.

34. PreMedPoohBear

7+ Year Member

I'm currently an English major, but I'm thinking about switching to biology. I'll most likely stick with English. If I hear "you can major in English and still be a doctor?" one more time, I think I'll scream.

35. SwineLake98

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Alright, I am a biochem major, but at my school its just a slightly modified chem major (I've actually consitered switching to straight chem, but I'm too stubborn to do it). I am however, a theatre minor. At one point, I wanted to be a pre-med musical theatre major. If I end up getting early assurance (*fingers crossed*), I will be quite tempted to transfer and be a dacne major my last 2 years!

36. scota

scota Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Sociology! Why sociology, you ask. Well, because it's interesting, I get to read lots and lots, and it has helped me hone my writing ability. At first, I considered law school. I soon realized, however, that I don't have that instinct required for being a good lawyer. Hmm...I guess my major has made me more open-minded, if anything.

37. BubbleBobble

BubbleBobble Where's the "any" key?
    7+ Year Member

Whoo! CS here too! :clap:

(keeping quiet about neuro double major)

38. quideam

quideam Too tired to complain
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Philosophy.... more interesting than memorizing minutia and sitting through labs. Oh, and I got to debate a lot :)

39. Psychology... you get to listen to idiot sorority girls pretend like they know ****...

40. jeffsleepy

jeffsleepy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

electric engineering computer science

I didn't decide to go for med school until after freshman year. By that time, I'd already done so many classes for EECS that I just decided to stay there. If I could do it again, I'd major in psychology... less time consuming and many more girls.

41. OnMyWayThere

OnMyWayThere OMS-III
    10+ Year Member

:laugh: :laugh:

42. BerkeleyPremed

BerkeleyPremed Membership Revoked
    Removed

Wow...I didn't know there were so many folks here that actually ventured outside of biology. **gasp** I know adcoms will appreciate the fact that we can write well, think critically, read and analyze dense material, and communicate our ideas effectively with others.

I agree with the poster above...biology really does seem like "memorization of minutia." Don't get me wrong...I think neurobiology, human physiology, and molecular genetics are GREAT fields with tons of fascinating research going on within them...but after talking with dozens of MCB (molecular-cell biology) majors here on campus...I just get the feeling like it's just one huge memorization fest.

One of the MCB majors I know even told me his "formula" that he uses for all of his MCB classes...and he has a pretty decent GPA in the major as well. He laid it out as such:
    (a)=memorizing the professor's lecture notes..whether those come in the form of Powerpoint slides or handouts...just memorize it
    (b)=memorize as much as you can from the material covered in the textbook and do relevant problems (immunology, molecular genetcs, etc)
    (c)=starting a few days before the exam, start making flash cards of most important pathways (biochem), structures, and facts..and test yourself to make SURE that you've memorized this stuff

Behold..the formula: a+b+c=d where (d)=at least a B+ on your midterm/final in said biology course

For some reason, I get the feeling that many of these biology robots (hence the term..."biobots"), could never write a decent persuasive essay about anything.

43. Daedalus

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Philosophy! definitely agree with quideam that it's oh so much better than the "memorization of minutia"

44. Stupendous

Stupendous Member
    7+ Year Member

Computer Science
    (also a MCB major)
    Minor in Mathematics

I was 1.5 semesters from graduating before I made the decision. I added MCB to give myself time to finish the pre-reqs and do some other things. Plus I'm also intereted in bioinformatics.

MCB does seem to have a lot more pure memorization and few critical thinking skills. Biochemistry is all memorization. I like CS a lot more because I have to think to solve the problems. And nothing beats staying up until 6 in the morning trying to figure out the cause of a seg fault.

45. japhy

japhy Ski Bum
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    eraserhead, you are one funny ****!

philosophy/biochem. to all those biochem majors who don't have to take p-chem, shame on you. also, chem majors were the only one at my school required to take senior comprehensive exams to graduate.

philosophy has served me well in med school, law school and now getting a masters in bioethics. philosophy teaches one how to think critically and write pursuasively.

46. Offear

Offear Member
    10+ Year Member

Psychology, and Neuroscience ( Which technically isn't a major here at UW-Madison, it is a special training program within Biology...so does that mean I should leave it out ? :D )

Basically, I think the point should be made that some people actually like Bio, Biochem, etc, and choose that as their major because they want to do it, not just because it looks good. I know personally that I am doing something that I enjoy because there is no guarantee of anyone getting into med school.

So I think you should major whatever it is that you want, whether it be dance or physics, because you're the only person that is going to live with it for the rest of your life ( and enjoy/suffer through it while in college). Just my two cents.

47. 2badr

2badr **Switch**
    10+ Year Member

:laugh: That's the reply I get when I tell people I'm switching my major!

I love to write. :oops: :rolleyes: I have been hooked on English/Literature since 10th grade when we studied William Blake.

48. DocWannaBe85

DocWannaBe85 Lovah Lovah
    7+ Year Member

Biochem and Nutrition.

49. liverotcod

liverotcod Lieutenant Crunch
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    MIND CONTROL.

Actually, I got a BA in English in the early 90s.

50. jedirampage

jedirampage Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I did physics and chemical engineering as an undergrad and an MS in biomedical engineering. The reasoning is that there are many topics to learn about that I am interested in and there are different perspectives on material that I will not have the opportunity to see in medical school (for the most part). Do whatever you like, but try to work in some breadth into any program of study you take on.

51. superdevil

superdevil planning my escape
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    jesus tapdancing christ.....
    are you implying that all non-bio majors exhibit these qualities? or are you saying that bio majors lack these skills? in either case, that's ridiculous.

wow....that's just so....stupid. many bio majors are proficient linguists, pal. whenever i'm tempted to start a thread like this, i usually just grab a bottle of lotion and go to the bathroom.

oh well, gotta go--this "biobot" has to go play basketball with some black people and then go make a withdrawl from First Jewish National Bank. :rolleyes: