If you attend an undergraduate school, do you have a better chance of getting into their medical sch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlfonsTheGuru

Surgeons aren't what they used to be.
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
School? Typo my bad

I'd like to know.

Members don't see this ad.

Funny that you once accused @efle of redundant threads, and then you go ahead and post this. :smack:

Reactions: 3 users
depends on the school. some universities don't like their own undergrads attending their own grad schools as they want "diversity"

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It depends upon the school. MSAR Online's matriculant demographics page gives you the numbers. Brown has the highest selection for their grads (> 60%).

For example:
Albany: N/A
Drexel: 12%
U Wisc: 36% (!) I'll have to remember that.
U IA: 24%
Vanderbilt: 18%
Yale 16%
Temple: 5%

Reactions: 1 users
USC-Keck had 17% of its class come from USC for its Class of 2018 although this is in large part due to the Bacc/MD program over there. The last group of Bacc/MD students matriculated this year, so it will be interesting to see the distributions this cycle now that the program has been removed. They seem to like UCLA undergrads a lot!

It depends upon the school. MSAR Online's matriculant demographics page gives you the numbers. Brown has the highest selection for their grads (> 60%).

For example:
Yale 16%

Alot of this is also through BS/MD programs. Brown is the obvious one but I think Drexel's is that high because of their BS/MD program as well.

No one's perfect :whistle:
efle is

For example:
Yale 16%
I'm curious now if there is a private/public difference here, since Michigan is also insanely self-favoring (26%), so is UCD (27%), U of W is up there (22%), U Va (21%), UCSD (20%)...University of New Mexico 60% (they have BS/MD)! U of A 23% and 27%...wow

Reactions: 1 user
efle is

I'm curious now if there is a private/public difference here, since Michigan is also insanely self-favoring (26%), so is UCD (27%), U of W is up there (22%), U Va (21%), UCSD (20%)...University of New Mexico 60% (they have BS/MD)! U of A 23% and 27%...wow

Yes I do think there is some evidence that public schools might more inclined to take a greater number from their own undergrad than their private counterparts in many occurences, particularly those who are also residents of those states. Also BS/MD's are plentiful amongst public schools(although that isn't to say private schools like Pitt, Brown and Northwestern don't have them as well and of course the infamous one from the good folks at WASHU which happen to demand a 3.8/36).

Last edited:
Yes I do think evidence is there that public schools might more inclined to take a greater number from their own undergrad than their private counterparts, particularly those who are also residents of those states. Also BS/MD's are plentiful amongst public schools(although that isn't to say private schools like Pitt, Brown and Northwestern don't have them as well and of course the infamous WASHU 3.8/36 requiring one).
Ah you've totally got it - the vast majority of students there are instate residents, and lots of good students since the med schools tend to be associated with the flagship campuses for their states. Add onto that the connections you can get into your own programs, starts to make more sense that ~1/4th are returnees