"If you can smell patients, it is a clinical experience."

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sworzeh

Crazy Rabbit Lady
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I volunteer in a hospital gift shop ringing up purchases and occasionally (1x/4hrs or so) deliver something to a room. Yes, I can smell patients and some occasionally come in, but is this considered clinical volunteering?

Also, can I put my experience training to be a CNA down as anything for AMCAS? It was around 100hrs of paying money to help the other CNAs. It's not volunteering, but it's not paid work either :/

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I volunteer in a hospital gift shop ringing up purchases and occasionally (1x/4hrs or so) deliver something to a room. Yes, I can smell patients and some occasionally come in, but is this considered clinical volunteering?

Also, can I put my experience training to be a CNA down as anything for AMCAS? It was around 100hrs of paying money to help the other CNAs. It's not volunteering, but it's not paid work either :/

Thanks.

Delivering to a room is clinical experience. Try to get out of the gift shop though, and into direct patient care. Serving water, talking to patients etc.

Not that the gift shop isn't important. Get exposure to other areas of the hospital. Talk to your volunteer coordinator, be up front. Tell him/her you want to broaden your experiences. :luck:

Oh and your CNA stuff... you had practical training yes? That can be put down also! :)

No.
You can put almost anything on amcas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Delivering to a room is clinical experience. Try to get out of the gift shop though, and into direct patient care. Serving water, talking to patients etc.

Not that the gift shop isn't important. Get exposure to other areas of the hospital. Talk to your volunteer coordinator, be up front. Tell him/her you want to broaden your experiences. :luck:

Oh and your CNA stuff... you had practical training yes? That can be put down also! :)

Since I already volunteer at a low income medical clinic, would it be alright if I stick to the gift shop? Or do adcoms greatly prefer that all your volunteering is clinical?

Yeah, the practical training was me paying a fee to help CNAs at the hospital. I'm not sure why it took 100hrs to learn it.

Since I already volunteer at a low income medical clinic, would it be alright if I stick to the gift shop? Or do adcoms greatly prefer that all your volunteering is clinical?

Yeah, the practical training was me paying a fee to help CNAs at the hospital. I'm not sure why it took 100hrs to learn it.

Oh, I thought that was your only gig.

Hey... this is your limo. You pick the route and the destination. Diversify your application? Do all clinical? It's up to you.

Oh, I thought that was your only gig.

Hey... this is your limo. You pick the route and the destination. Diversify your application? Do all clinical? It's up to you.

I guess I'll diversify then :D Thanks.

Did anyone else automatically think of LizzyM when they read the question?:laugh:

Thanks.

I'm sure your work as a CNA gives you a much deeper breadth of experience than most people's clinical volunteer work; but why are you volunteering in the gift shop? It seems more like a job they'd ought to be paying someone for. I can't imagine you get much out of ringing up tic-tacks.

Yes. LizzyM pervades SDN and my thoughts. I'm thinking about petitioning SDN to make a lizzyM smilie/emoticon.

Just note that LizzyM never mentioned that patients have a distinctly rancid odor. Regretting clinical experience? Perhaps so. Then I see my paycheck and realize the medical field is where I belong :cool::cool::cool:. All you peeps looking for medical experience, become a transporter, you're obese wallet will be thanking you often. Until you hit the application season where it will turn back to it's malnutrition habits.

Just note that LizzyM never mentioned that patients have a distinctly rancid odor. Regretting clinical experience? Perhaps so. Then I see my paycheck and realize the medical field is where I belong :cool::cool::cool:. All you peeps looking for medical experience, become a transporter, you're obese wallet will be thanking you often. Until you hit the application season where it will turn back to it's malnutrition habits.

How much do transporters make an hour? My gut tells me it's only a lot by college student standards, but I really am curious to know.

More than phlebs and more than emts. 14 an hour at the hospital I work at. Great by college standards lol. Kinda sucks though my friends in business and engineering get internships paying 20 an hour minimum with tons of comps. I just think transport is a pretty clean and well paying job for a college student