if you come off the waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iriechic14

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you get off a waitlist, how long do you have to make a decision?

Members don't see this ad.

iriechic14 said:
If you get off a waitlist, how long do you have to make a decision?
10 - 15 seconds

At the University of Washington it states that you have 1 week to give them notification on a Firm Acceptance or Rejection of the admissions offer. People who get in during the application cycle have 2 weeks to make a firm or tentative acceptance or a rejection to the offer.

I would assume that as you get in off the wait list later in the summer they would probably ask you to make your decision in a few days.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Scintillation said:
10 - 15 seconds

Soooo.......you have in seconds what is your highest score of the sections on your MCAT?

Normally, the later in the summer the less time your have to respond. So think about it ahead of time so you are ready with a response. Good Luck!

I heard 48-72 hrs from some places...

The second you get off any waitlist, Jack Bauer gets an anonymous phone call with your name and GPS coordinates. You have only the time it takes him to find you to make a decision. But, it's likely that he will kill you either way...to free up another spot from the waitlist.

My question to you is why are you on that waitlist if you don't want to go there? The idea of being on a waitlist after May 15 is that if you get off of it, you will forgo your acceptance and enroll at the other school. What is the dilemma?

PhillyMD2006 said:
My question to you is why are you on that waitlist if you don't want to go there? The idea of being on a waitlist after May 15 is that if you get off of it, you will forgo your acceptance and enroll at the other school. What is the dilemma?
Some people still need time to find out about their financial aide packages at the school they were just accepted to. Even though you may want to attend the school that just released you from the waitlist, you may not be able to because of $$$$$$. Schools generally give you a few days to figure things out.

Does everything above apply to a situation where you are holding one acceptance after May 15th and several waitlists? Say, say you get off the waitlist at one of the schools during the summer, then for how long can you hold 2 acceptances while deciding? :scared: I don't think I can make such decisions in a day :eek:

Or, if you get another acceptance AFTER May 15th? I guess my general question is: FOR HOW LONG CAN YOU HOLD 2 ACCEPTANCES AFTER MAY 15TH WHILE MAKING A CHOICE?

DrKitty said:
Or, if you get another acceptance AFTER May 15th? I guess my general question is: FOR HOW LONG CAN YOU HOLD 2 ACCEPTANCES AFTER MAY 15TH WHILE MAKING A CHOICE?
I don't remember the exact time limit (I think at least a week), but I do remember that you can hold a waitlist acceptance and a regular acceptance for a few days. I also seem to recall that once you are accepted off of a waitlist, your waitlist school has to tell your regular acceptance school that you have now gotten off the waitlist--I don't know if this information is passed on directly or thru AAMCAS, but it is done.

What about FA if you get off a waitlist? Does that totally hose you? I would think you wouldn't get much in terms of scholarships, but shouldn't you still get stafford loans? And private loans? And if you get off the waitlist late, will they wait for money while the loans are being processed or will they send you a bill (private loans can take what... 6 weeks to process and get your money to the school I hear)?

Looking at (hopefully) coming off a waitlist, the FA thing just hit me last week and I've been stressing over it.

ShyRem said:
What about FA if you get off a waitlist? Does that totally hose you? I would think you wouldn't get much in terms of scholarships, but shouldn't you still get stafford loans? And private loans? And if you get off the waitlist late, will they wait for money while the loans are being processed or will they send you a bill (private loans can take what... 6 weeks to process and get your money to the school I hear)?

Looking at (hopefully) coming off a waitlist, the FA thing just hit me last week and I've been stressing over it.

At interviews, most schools have said if you've done everything to apply for financial aid for the school by the deadline (even though you're on the waitlist) they can process an award pretty quickly for you if you're pulled. I don't know about private loans though. Shy, I'd ask the financial people at VCU.

Em1 said:
At interviews, most schools have said if you've done everything to apply for financial aid for the school by the deadline (even though you're on the waitlist) they can process an award pretty quickly for you if you're pulled. I don't know about private loans though. Shy, I'd ask the financial people at VCU.

You apply for financial aid before you get accepted? Huh?!
I'm definitely wondering about the timing for this. What about those poor souls that get a call the day before classes start? They must get screwed for financial aid, don't they?