if you could change ONE thing about your medical school, what would it be ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anewbeginning

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
medical school : one change

Members don't see this ad.

Eliminate anything that ends with "-based learning"

Members don't see this ad :)
The old outdated lecture halls and study areas

I haven't even started yet, but I'm already not looking forward to professors with no clinical experience who spend too much time talking about endless minutiae and their pet research projects and do not focus on high-yield material.

One word: parking

As far as the above post goes, most of the best lecturers at our school were phds.

I wish my school taught more to the boards...

Last edited:

As far as the above post goes, most of the best lecturers at our school were phds.

Same over here. My neuroanatomy teacher was a Ph.D but he was incredible, lectured from a clinical standpoint and created amazing podcasts that I used to study for Step1. I also had an amazing neurophysiology teacher who was a Ph.D as well.

The worst teachers I have had are the transient "experts in their field" (majority are MD's) that give one lecture in the entire module. There are definitely exceptions to this but for the most part it is true. The contents of this lecture are 100s of slides of endless charts and graphs talking about interesting, but irrelevant research or statistics.

The best teachers I have had are the ones directly involved with medical education. The course coordinators and multiple lecture teachers. For the most part they understand what is relevant to the education of medical students and what is not.

The best teachers I have had are the ones directly involved with medical education. The course coordinators and multiple lecture teachers. For the most part they understand what is relevant to the education of medical students and what is not.

:thumbup::thumbup:

My answer: new facilities for lecture/labs. I think our facilities were built in the late 1920s/early 1930s.

A gigantic wall and moat to insulate us from the awful neighborhood around the school.

Second to both. My parking pass cost more than a month's rent.

And the PhDs were by far better teachers than 90% of the MDs - the only good MD lecturers were the ones that had been doing it for a long time.

Seconded.

As to changes: a more conceptual curriculum

If that won't happen, I'd settle for one of those kurig coffee machines in the library.

Edit: actually, location.

Members don't see this ad :)

I wish my school taught more to the boards and less to the in-house exams. As interesting as medical history lessons are, I try to live my life as HY as possible (jk, sorta) so just jump to the selling points that are gonna help me on Step.

:thumbup:

I guess this is more of a critique on medical education, less wasting time with groups/activities. More teaching towards relevant medical knowledge rather than PhD trivia or minutia during the sciences, relating things to clinical usefulness more readily. More on thought process and medical reasoning, with less on memorizing minutia we're going to forget.

Make it easy to transfer to another school.

I never understood why it is so difficult to transfer. If the receiving school has an open spot, why do you have to have an extraordinary reason to transfer (ie family, marriage, health)? Why can't you just transfer b/c it's a better school or you like it more (assuming you've got the stats/resume to back yourself up)....thoughts?

Eliminate the useless old men that waste our time with historic crap (usually a giant pile of old studies).

Not have block 4 + final exams every other day from the beginning of April until the middle of May during MS2.

Zero mandatory attendance to anything.

more medical/nursing/allied health student mixers

On the whole I am satisfied with how preclinical has been handled. Maybe if there were more lunch spots around campus.

Yes, eliminate the touchy feely BS.

Also, pick it up and put it in a different location.

And, make it cheaper....

EBM is obnoxiously important. There are dozens of outdated therapies that looked good on paper (i.e. via basic sciences) that end up hurting/killing people in the long run.

While I am a big proponent of basic science application, the basic sciences are still full of holes and EBM is the best shaped plug for that hole the we have at the moment.

Even patient skills/doctoring/preceptorship stuff?

Especially that crap.

Videos/Reading assignments and one or two assessments throughout the semester would still take less time than the way most schools do it.

EBM is obnoxiously important. There are dozens of outdated therapies that looked good on paper (i.e. via basic sciences) that end up hurting/killing people in the long run.

While I am a big proponent of basic science application, the basic sciences are still full of holes and EBM is the best shaped plug for that hole the we have at the moment.
I wasn't talking about evidence-based medicine, I was talking about the team-based learning and group-based learning and problem-based learning and case-based learning that is all a waste of time.

That said, the standards for basic science work are infinitely higher than in the clinical world. Using EBM to patch up holes in the system is like using gasoline to put out a fire.

I wasn't talking about evidence-based medicine, I was talking about the team-based learning and group-based learning and problem-based learning and case-based learning that is all a waste of time.

That said, the standards for basic science work are infinitely higher than in the clinical world. Using EBM to patch up holes in the system is like using gasoline to put out a fire.

I understand what you meant... but disagree with the last statement. There are dozens of treatments which are counter intuitive to what basic science might tell us and EBM has shown them effective.

My first instinct was making parking more affordable and accessible, and then I read the "make it free" idea. :biglove:I'm jumping on that band wagon, or any solution to make this education more affordable, easier to pay back, and less financially stressful.

Curriculum more focused on board exams and less about useless details. I feel like a review course at the end would be useful (if taught properly).

It would be sweet if a school could hire Goljan to come teach for that review course

I understand what you meant... but disagree with the last statement. There are dozens of treatments which are counter intuitive to what basic science might tell us and EBM has shown them effective.

EBM is chaos. No one really knows how to accurately study human populations. There is incredible amount of noise despite our best studies. Even for things like MI or Heart failure, med school would have you believe there is a consensus and EBM to back it up and this could not be further from the truth. Let's not even get to the funding sources of much of EBM research being the same people who will profit off the results

basic sciences help you think and try to help you rationalize whether something called "EBM" makes sense. if EBM shows somethingn different, then we must think either our basic science is incorrect, or the EBM is...I usually put my bets on the EBM because there is too much variation often to make a lot of sense in these studies.

EBM is chaos. No one really knows how to accurately study human populations. There is incredible amount of noise despite our best studies. Even for things like MI or Heart failure, med school would have you believe there is a consensus and EBM to back it up and this could not be further from the truth. Let's not even get to the funding sources of much of EBM research being the same people who will profit off the results

basic sciences help you think and try to help you rationalize whether something called "EBM" makes sense. if EBM shows somethingn different, then we must think either our basic science is incorrect, or the EBM is...I usually put my bets on the EBM because there is too much variation often to make a lot of sense in these studies.

You must not have read my posts.... I a for basic sciences first and Ebm second. I wish our basic science understanding was complete.... but it is not so Ebm is the best patch we have until researchers fill those gaps. The alternative is we just hang a population of people out to dry (die?). You can acknowledge the problems or shortcomings of something and still understand how it is the best we have or at least the "least worse". I think a few of you have lost sight of that

Teach stuff that is Board relevant. That's all we (I) care about anyway.

And have Sattar come give guest lectures.

You must not have read my posts.... I a for basic sciences first and Ebm second. I wish our basic science understanding was complete.... but it is not so Ebm is the best patch we have until researchers fill those gaps. The alternative is we just hang a population of people out to dry (die?). You can acknowledge the problems or shortcomings of something and still understand how it is the best we have or at least the "least worse". I think a few of you have lost sight of that

I reread your posts, my apologies. It's just many have totally excluded basic science thought and reasoning for "we were taught this is EBM, don't know why, but just is" and end up using that on treating patients...i think EBM is good to study things we don't know much about yet, and incorporate it and make sense of it in the context of basic science however little or much it may be

I unfortunately see too many people taking population research and essentially treat every individual patent the same,, instead of taking the basic science, clinical signs of the patient him/herself and EBM and trying to individualize a particular treatment.

I think you would agree with the above. Unfortunately EBM and basic sciences are flawed, but I think if both are integrated into an approach that makes sense to us as learners, then perhaps we can develop a theory as to why something happens and therefore treat the patent more appropriately.

I reread your posts, my apologies. It's just many have totally excluded basic science thought and reasoning for "we were taught this is EBM, don't know why, but just is" and end up using that on treating patients...i think EBM is good to study things we don't know much about yet, and incorporate it and make sense of it in the context of basic science however little or much it may be

I unfortunately see too many people taking population research and essentially treat every individual patent the same,, instead of taking the basic science, clinical signs of the patient him/herself and EBM and trying to individualize a particular treatment.

I think you would agree with the above. Unfortunately EBM and basic sciences are flawed, but I think if both are integrated into an approach that makes sense to us as learners, then perhaps we can develop a theory as to why something happens and therefore treat the patent more appropriately.

I agree completely. I have seen many EBM studies that point to conclusions that are contradictory (not just unsupported, but in direct contrast to) basic science principles. You can look at many of these studies and see fundemantal flaws in study designs (i.e. is it appropriate to look for rare outcomes in a cohort? think CRNA vs Anes papers that have been published in the JCRNA recently). I am especially weary of papers who claim "no difference" between established and new treatments because it is incredibly easy to hide a difference (like in the example i just gave) based on study parameters. Data can just as easily be skewed the other direction. So basic science first, EBM second, and basic science third ;). THAT, IMO is the proper order of things

Anyone had to do those tedious WiseMD modules?