if you could change something about the interview process, what would it be?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by entropy, Dec 7, 2002.

1. entropy

entropy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i would like to see schools give a response in at most one month's time, rather than making people wait.......

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. why do they even have to interview?

4. HouseHead

HouseHead Powdered Floor Queen
    15+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    No stress interviews!!! I understand the reasoning behind them, but it's just not necessary.
    SUNY Upstate ROCKED- so chill, so comfortable- their interviews are the way it should always be. :clap:

5. UCLAMAN

UCLAMAN Air Jordan Collector
    7+ Year Member

Are there still such things as "stress interviews?" I always thought that windows nailed shut were a thing of the past.

6. manicmaven

manicmaven all aboard the nerd train
    7+ Year Member

Interviews should not come directly after lunch...or worse, during lunch (George Washington). Here's a poppy seed muffin -and this is Dr. Jones.

:D

7. mws99

mws99 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would have the interview first thing so that we could just relax the rest of the day.

8. Kovox

Kovox Going Places
    7+ Year Member

The interviewers should fly to us and interview us where and when we want.

I am already broke as is flying back and forth...they can afford the expenses.

9. Jadeite

Jadeite Thought Puddle
    7+ Year Member

There are still stress interviews at Northwestern, I've heard - not personal experience but it is my understanding that they get a group of people for a "panel" interview and then ask a student a question. They'll then turn to the next student and say "What was wrong with his/her answer?"

That's the only school I've heared of such a thing, though, and all of my (12) interviews this application cycle were very friendly, cozy conversations. I didn't even get asked any medical ethics. It was all "So, why do you want to be a doctor? What do you do for fun? Why do you want to come here?"

To change anything about the process? Hmmm. Well, I'd like to say "come dressed casually" but I don't think that would work because if I came in my punk rawk boots, and Ms. X came dressed in J.Crew I think she'd have a better chance than I. Suits, uncomfortable as they are, may serve a nice "blank slate" sort of effect...

No one is going to pay our expenses like they sometimes do for grad school because of the demand differential. So many people want to go to medical school, and schools can get away with making us pay. (And that may be unfortunate, because those with more money can afford to apply more places and go to more interviews thus increasing their chance of getting in.)

It would definitely be nice if there was more immediate feedback. If your interviewer could turn to you at the end of an interview and say "You get a 87.5 on this interview. Early acceptance cutoff is 85, so you're in, pending committee deliberations..."

Jade~

10. TroutBum

TroutBum Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Morning interviews only, please! It would be nice if they would fly us all out, but that's just a pipe dream.

I think it would be nice if regional interviews were more the norm, and then you could go visit schools at your own leisure if you want to get a better feel for the school. It would just be much easier logistically, and since the whole thing is a crapshoot anyways I think it would work just as well.

11. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

rejections i would get rid of :)

12. japonesa

japonesa Member
    7+ Year Member

Jadeite-
    The Northwestern panel interview, while a little more stressful than some of the chill one-on-ones I've had, are not that bad. NU does a great job of making everyone feel comfortable, and they don't ask you what was wrong with another's interviewee's answer. There was one part where you took the opposite side on an ethical issue, but that was it.

As a California resident who's been to only East Coast interviews- I'd say pay for my flights! It's getting pricey, and I have no money left for Christmas gifts!

13. galen

galen Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

The notice of interviews is too strung out so you cant easily group ur interviews into one trip. This is a big disadvantage if ur from the west coast and have to make 3 or 4 (or more) separate trips since it seems most of the private schools are back east. This gets very expensive; but since it is a 'crapshoot' most of us cant say no to any chance of an acceptance.

BTW--I feel kind of bad complaining about going to interviews when I know there are many on this forum who dont have any interviews yet.:(

14. entropy

entropy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

15. Moskeeto

Moskeeto Feminist
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It should be a battle royal, all the applicants that make it to the interview stage should have to all fight to the bloody end for an acceptence. this wouldn't work tho because it'd be really unfair cause no guys would get in.

It would be cool tho if regional interview were set up and then to check out the actual campus, there could be tours set up. Say I was applying to a bunch of schools in Pennsylvannia, I could do all the regional interviews here in Ca and then I could fly out the Penn and catch a bus tour (Madden Style) to all the different campuses, that way I only spend $600 on travel instead of $3000 flying back and forth from ca to pa.

16. Trix

Trix Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think the worst thing is that the process is not standardized after getting through AMCAS.

If if AMCAS had a status check website with all of your schools together, and the information about things received, app. complete, on hold etc. were displayed for each school, this would be very helpful. Some of the schools don't even notify you that your app. is complete, but are then irrritated when someone calls.

It could also be used to withdraw application, cancel interviews, schedule interviews etc. to speed up the downtime.

I think this would alleviate some of the frustration both on the applicant and school's administrative side....but who would pay for the set-up?

17. Bonds756

Bonds756 6 time MVP
    7+ Year Member

Definitely sucks for people to make multiple flights to the same area. If not regional interviews, maybe schools can all say to eachother who they are interviewing and coordinate so that applicants only have to make one flight and go on a tour of the schools within the same area who gave granted you interviews all the same week or whatever. Then again, schools colluding could be a problem.

18. isidella

7+ Year Member

I have just one little demand-breakfast. Some schools do this and they are great. They warm you up to the day! I have really been judging my schools by if they give me coffee or not.

Anyone else for breakfast???

19. siempre595

7+ Year Member

The whole thing takes too long. There's gotta be a way to get decisions finalized earlier than August for some wait-list people and May in general. I feel like schools know much earlier than they inform people of their decisions, and just sort of hold out thinking "mayyybee." Come on. I guess by speeding it up I'm asking for more random rejections, but I figure you'd still get the places that want you the most and are probably best-suited for you. Or maybe I'm just impatient.

20. dancer7

dancer7 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i totally agree with the coffee and breakfast. we break our backs getting suits, flying across the country, sleeping in either hotels which we shell out big bucks for, or stay with a student and some places don't even offer a measly cup of coffee.:mad: :mad: :mad:

21. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  22. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wait....you mean it isn't? No wonder the admissions staff seems so confused whenever I start bustin' heads.

23. USeF

USeF sunny L.A.
    10+ Year Member

so last week the MS1's had an interview workshop. It seems like such a huge responsibility, not sure if I'm going to try it yet..

Hoped to see some real suggestions on what you think would be a better process to find acceptable vs. rejectable students. So place yourself in an interviewer's shoes for a minute and tell us: What questions would you ask to determine if someone is acceptable to your school??

24. BrainDrain

BrainDrain Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't really agree with having medical students be interviewers. I mean, how can someone who has just started medical school be in the position to judge which applicants will be good doctors when they themselves are not even there yet?

25. BrainDrain

BrainDrain Member
    7+ Year Member

Here's an idea for ya:

For all you football or basketball fans, how about an interview process that resembles the NFL combine or NBA pre-draft camp?:D

26. indianboy

indianboy Call me, Baby.
    7+ Year Member

BrainDrain,
    I guess it wouldn't make sense if they were interviewing based on your aptitude to be a good doc, but it seemed to me that they seem to be gauging how well you would fit in with your peers, especially if the school employs a lot of PBL or small groups stuff where this is a high degree of interaction. Old people don't know about that sort of stuff ;).

P 'Just one of the guys' ShankOut

27. BrainDrain

BrainDrain Member
    7+ Year Member

Indianboy,

I have been told that some student interviewers with the gunner mentality give bad interview scores to applicants who have better stats than them or are non-trads that wouldn't fit into their clique. Sad but it happens.

28. entropy

entropy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

not much movement recently..............

29. PrincessCKNY

PrincessCKNY Crown Royal Member
    7+ Year Member

I say no suits. They are uncomfortable as hell and I think nothing shows them who we really are than in normal clothes. I'm not saying sport ripped jeans and a T-shirt. Maybe nice casual clothes....Sunday dress. :)

30. Moneyless

Moneyless Not a Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

word up yo!