If you could chose from Genetics, Microbiology, Human Physiology or Analytical Chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrganicMLover

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you could chose from Genetics, Microbiology, Human Physiology or Analytical Chem which two classes would you pick ?

My schedule for the fall and spring will be:

Fall:

Calc II
Phyics
Org II
One of the above biology classes

Spring:

Calc III
Phyics II
Biochemistry
One of the above biology classes

Which of the above biology classes would you chose for the best preparation for the MCAT ? I will be taking the MCAT in august after the above noted spring semester.

Members don't see this ad.

Genetics for sure, I had two passages on Drosophila... Microbio is not that relevant, maybe Physiology?

1. genetics
2. physiology (even though ive never taken it)
3. micro
4. Achem....if this has a lab it will probably be a bit like torture...by titration...

Members don't see this ad :)
Physio man is a must. Most genetic you can teach yourself and A. Chem?? Do you know what the "A" stand for? Anal Chemistry.

I would suggest micro and physiology. I have taken them both and liked them, especially micro. The labs in micro can be a lot of work, but I thought it was fun.

I'm taking Achem this semester and I took the MCAT last year. I've found that this class is great review for the Chemistry PS section as it pretty much covers all of the topics you need to know. I'm not sure if that's the case for other schools.

Human Phys will make the biggest difference on the BS section and won't be simply a review like in Achem.

Genetics and Human Physiology

Just make sure the physics is Calc Based and the other classes won't matter.

I'll would go with Genetics - it's give you a good background for micro later !

willthatsall said:
Just make sure the physics is Calc Based and the other classes won't matter.
I was about to make a serious response, but then I realized that I had clicked this thread because I expected the OP to continue asking such redundant questions.

anyways, physical chem is also a must :smuggrin:

TheProwler said:
I was about to make a serious response, but then I realized that I had clicked this thread because I expected the OP to continue asking such redundant questions.

anyways, physical chem is also a must :smuggrin:

Don't forget about inorganic

depends on your strengths...

if you are considering taking A-Chem... you probably have taken and are comfortable with chem for PS... however, if chem is a weakness, you might strongly consider taking it.

that said, the "high yield" aspect of physio and genetics is important. i would suggest these over A-chem unless chem truly is a weakness for you.

Genetics would be good MCAT prep. Like someone else said, AChem is also good MCAT prep. AChem is also super easy (= guaranteed A = doesn't honk up the GPA).

I don't know about "guaranteed A". No one in my AChem class got an A. But I do realize there are lots of schools with grade inflation, grade curves, etc. I'm just not at one of them.

Also, I didn't find AChem a review for the MCAT at all. I did think PChem was a good review (yes, I'm not kidding) as it expanded on lots of gen chem stuff and physics stuff. Also lots of think-through-it kinds of problems.

Human phys would be a much better choice than AChem. Can't comment on genetics or micro.

My top 2 would be Physiology and genetics.

Depending on the luck of the draw, your MCAT may favor one over the other. IMO, they are definitely the top two "other" classes to take.

plickfu said:
AChem is also super easy (= guaranteed A = doesn't honk up the GPA).

Maybe at your school!!! At my school, more than 50% of your final grade for anal chem is based on your lab accuracy, and b/c its curved, that really sucks. If the average person in the class gets a 2% error and you get a 3.5%, you get a D for that lab (happened to me). Plus, a lot of undergrad lab classes, including mine, have crap for equipment, making much of your accuracy simply a matter of luck! The lecture material is easy, and w/o the exams, I would never have gotten my B (I would have been a sure-fire A if there were no labs).

If you want to take anal chem, check and see what the grading policy is in regards to terms of the labs. You don't want to take a class where your effort won't reflect in your grade.