If you could do anything EXCEPT medicine...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TimothyRags

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted post.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Without exploiting the open phrasing of this question, cough, clinical psych or high school chem/psych teacher

Members don't see this ad :)
Process chemistry or costumed villainy. Perhaps both, pending Guild approval.

Anything? Be an Olympic athlete. :cool: But I'm afraid that, in reality, I don't have the skills required for such a profession.

Get a PhD in psychology or behavioral/ cognitive neuroscience. Do research and teach.
If I were told like this week that I couldn't do medicine i'd consider getting a chemistry major and work as a chemist and get a masters in it. I'm extravagantly a fan of all the concepts of chemistry, while I don't really find all the math fun... the background information behind kinetics and equalibrum, thermochem and electrochem are just delightful.

Then again.. honestly i'm the type of person who is interested by basically everything but mathematics. But meh, what can you do?

start a DNP school and church with JaggerPlate and oaklandguy

"ANYTHING"?
I would legally print spendable money, grow out my mustache and buy a top hat.

logo-mr-monopoly.jpg

Then I would buy both the boardwalk and park place.
I like it, but I'd want to have some lackey do the buying as I relaxed on my private island in Awesomeland surrounded by fine Brazilian women.

Ride the endless wave.

-Broseidon, lord of the Brocean

Members don't see this ad :)
"ANYTHING"?
I would legally print spendable money, grow out my mustache and buy a top hat.

logo-mr-monopoly.jpg

Then I would buy both the boardwalk and park place.
Do not pass Go. Do not collect two-hundred dollars.

Meaning: you got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

A popular catchphrase from an SNL skit featuring Christopher Walken as the producer of Blue Oyster Cult. As the band plays "Don't Fear the Reaper", Will Ferrell begins banging obnoxiously on a cowbell. Everyone in the audience assumes that Walken will tell Will Ferrell to stop banging on his cowbell so loudly. However, to everyone's surprise, Walken says something like: "I love the cowbell. I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell."

Thus the phrase was applied to your post of "loving/wanting" something [background information behind kinetics and equalibrum, thermochem and electrochem] that is considered by most insufferable.

I hope I elucidated my meaning... ;)

Hahaha lol. Idk equalibrum is ok.. Electro and thermochem is plain out epic easy.

Whoooooaaaa, there's a freshman comment if I've ever seen one. Get back with us in a year or two on that one. Let us know how intermediate E&M and thermo treat you. :laugh:

No, if it was limited in scope -- that is still what I would do. :cool:

If I were to exploit the the open phrasing, I would have said something along the lines of: build a time machine, go back in time and pick up helen of troy and cleopatra -- then make myself king of the entire world with my two queens. Then I would legally print spendable money, grow out my mustache and buy a top hat.

However, since I did not want to exploit the OP's wording -- I stuck with reality.
:)

Two chicks at the same time, you say?

Whoooooaaaa, there's a freshman comment if I've ever seen one. Get back with us in a year or two on that one. Let us know how intermediate E&M and thermo treat you. :laugh:

Lol which is why I'm not a chem major haha. I mean I am just basing this off of general chem 100 lvl.

Well I'm currently an honors/AP chem teacher at a high school and except for the sucky pay I really like it. However, if I don't get into med school I'm planning on a) going into Bioengineering for a 2nd bachelors (already have prereqs done) or b) going into a molecular bio/cell bio/genetics phd program.

I've got loads of back up plans. If there's one thing I've learned in life it's nothing's a sure thing.

1. Movie Director

2. Photographer, Videographer, or Cinematographer for BBC (planet earth/life), Discovery(deadliest catch, dirty jobs), National Geographic (taboo), Food network (diners driver-ins and dives)

I'd be a chef with overpriced restaurants and a trademarked phrase I only use when adding spices to my dishes.

I'd be a chef with overpriced restaurants and a trademarked phrase I only use when adding spices to my dishes.

don't make fun of the guy who single handedly piloted garlic to the top of the food chain.

Pastry chef. Or chef of some other sort. And travel abroad under the auspices of learning "where that dish originated from."

I'm not making fun of him, I'm dead serious. As a matter of fact, I'm currently rough drafting some phrases to use if I never get accepted.

I smell a TV show!

haha...no, i like to stay behind the scenes. i would love to have my own restaurant or bakery, and maybe travel "for business" in the summers. that would be nice...but i better stop daydreaming before i go ahead and withdraw myself from med school.

Teach high school in a big city. Clinical or social psychologist would be pretty cool too. I would also consider getting a DPT (Doctorate of Physical Therapy).

Easy. I would be a river boat guide and fly fishing guide in Oregon. I would fish the McKenzie River and the Deschutes River, and the Umpqua River, and the coastal rivers of Oregon for steelhead and salmon, and in the off season, I would live on my sailboat, a sweet 35 ft. sailboat, in the San Juan Islands, north of Seattle, and eat oysters and dungeness crab that I caught myself, and drink superb Pinot Noir from the Willamette Valley of Oregon, and read novels, and have interesting dinner conversations with my girl friend below deck, just before sunset, which we would watch, of course. And then I would blow out the candles, have an interesting evening, and get up and do it all over again the next day.

Damn. I will be a fourth year med student in three months. Is it too late to go back? I need a time machine. The road not taken, did I miss the best turn in the road. I went right, and I should have gone left. I love sailboats in Puget Sound. And girls, with summer sunlight in their hair, with shimmering light at dusk, with the wind altering the light.

Easy. I would be a river boat guide and fly fishing guide in Oregon. I would fish the McKenzie River and the Deschutes River, and the Umpqua River, and the coastal rivers of Oregon for steelhead and salmon, and in the off season, I would live on my sailboat, a sweet 35 ft. sailboat, in the San Juan Islands, north of Seattle, and eat oysters and dungeness crab that I caught myself, and drink superb Pinot Noir from the Willamette Valley of Oregon, and read novels, and have interesting dinner conversations with my girl friend below deck, just before sunset, which we would watch, of course. And then I would blow out the candles, have an interesting evening, and get up and do it all over again the next day.

Damn. I will be a fourth year med student in three months. Is it too late to go back? I need a time machine. The road not taken, did I miss the best turn in the road. I went right, and I should have gone left. I love sailboats in Puget Sound. And girls, with summer sunlight in their hair, with shimmering light at dusk, with the wind altering the light.
you'll just have to wait 40 years

Teach at a University, or open a Bar. <== seems pretty profitable

For at least the first 10 years I would become a Naval Aviator! Like in Top Gun

1. Movie Director

2. Photographer, Videographer, or Cinematographer for BBC (planet earth/life), Discovery(deadliest catch, dirty jobs), National Geographic (taboo), Food network (diners driver-ins and dives)

Where do you get your avatars?

The girl with a Russian accent across the lab from me.

I'd play golf professionally, and try to make the Olympic golf team.

If by no medicine you just mean no MD, then probably a PA, RN, or maybe even a teacher...but I don't plan on ever having to make that decision :)

If by no medicine you just mean no MD, then probably a PA, RN, or maybe even a teacher...but I don't plan on ever having to make that decision :)

gunner

just kidding...

I got this question at an interview...I said a farmer, b/c its a profession where you use your knowledge of science to make people healthy and educate people about their health --> a doctor.

oh and I dont mean a corn farmer either, I mean a real farmer. sorry if I offended any corn farmers

lol dude, unless you have some farming background that prolly sounded like too much of a premed answer