if you could do it over..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tortuga

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello out there,
I'm an undergrad and I don't know if I should major in philosophy or a science. I've done all the prereq's for medical school, but I'd have to do a few more to get a degree in biochem or neuroscience. If you could go back to your undergraduate eduaction, would you have taken more science or would you have majored in ...philosophy?

Members don't see this ad.

tortuga said:
Hello out there,
I'm an undergrad and I don't know if I should major in philosophy or a science. I've done all the prereq's for medical school, but I'd have to do a few more to get a degree in biochem or neuroscience. If you could go back to your undergraduate eduaction, would you have taken more science or would you have majored in ...philosophy?

i was thinking about this last weekend actually, i would have probably majored in history or english if i could go back to freshman year. i majored in chem and got a minor in bio and all this science is driving me nuts.

I debated between philosophy and science also. I went science and regret it. I would have enjoyed philosophy more and it basicly came down to MCAT scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

Funny, i actually double majored in Science( called Life Sciences at my school) and Philosophy. A humanities and a science is actually a really good combo...can use your creativity in both! The med schools I interviewed at seemed to like it. I think you should major in whatever you want to...its your last chance...

tortuga said:
Hello out there,

I haven't graduated yet but I'm too deep to change my major from hard science. I'd say go with philosophy or english and just ace the prereqs, if that's what you think you'll enjoy.

I graduated majoring in Premed and minoring in Bio and Health Policy Admin. I took a lot of science courses obviously but few liberal arts courses until my senior year. I enjoyed Philosophy classes tremendously and regretted not majoring or at least minoring in it. You can major in whatever you want as long as you take the required prerequisites. It is like your last chance of taking non science classes so make sure you get in a good mix of your interests.

phew! from the title of the thread i thought it was going to be the 10,000th installment of those "would you go into medicine again" threads.

typeB-md said:

Based on your excellent use of capitalization, punctuation, and your perfect sentence structure, it really shows. ;)

I was a history major and would definitely do it over again. You do get a perspective and way of thinking that is very different from majoring only in science. It will help you to have a broader exposure for the clinical aspects of medicine. The science major will probably help you a bit with the MCAT and some of the first year classes, but you will cover all you need in med school. Pursue whatever interests you and you can always do a double major if you want to do both humanities and science.

tortuga said:
Hello out there,

I say if you're really into something non-science then major in it. It's the only time in your life when you get to choose the classes you really want to study. However, taking more science will give you more of a basic prep for med school. But I want to emphasize that taking anatomy, physiology, biochem, etc in college are NOT required to do well in med school. Just study diligently in med school and you can do extremely well irregardless. I say study what you want to study in college because you won't get that chance again.