If you could go back and do things differently as an intern...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saanjana

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all....I'm just looking for some advice...what are some of the things that you would do differently now that you've finished intern year....common mistakes? things you regret doing? things you regret not doing? how did you make the most of your free time...

looking forward to hearing some interesting stories....otherwise this will just be another dead thread....

:)

Members don't see this ad.

i would have told that attending what i really thought of him/her.

ok, bad advice, plus im just starting... :thumbdown:

(1) I would have read more.

(2) I would have called my SO more often and told him I loved him.

(3) I would have kept exercising even on days when I was exhausted.

All excellent points. I particularly agree with (2)--text messages are great when you can't call, too, and (3)--I never felt like it, but man I felt better after doing something to get my heart rate up.

All excellent points. I particularly agree with (2)--text messages are great when you can't call, too, and (3)--I never felt like it, but man I felt better after doing something to get my heart rate up.
good advice.....can i get in touch with you guys after i try these things....after I get punched and all...

good advice.....can i get in touch with you guys after i try these things....after I get punched and all...

Who's gonna punch you? Punch back! You don't have to take this ****!

"If you could go back and do things differently as an intern..."

One:

I actually had this thought after the second month of my 3rd year in med school. What I felt, then, was that I needed to be really prepared before internship - meaning I wanted to know the job and what was expected of me before I signed the contract.

The most important thing: pick the right hospital, with the right attendings. Visit with, talk to, and interview previous residents about specifics of their experiences.

Two:

Get rid of everything in your life that you don't need for residency: possessions, deadweight boy/girl friends, bad habits, negative additude, etc.

Three:

Cash, have plenty of it. Work for it prior to med school (during college), save it, and budget yourself during residency. I had enough money for daily life during residency, but I also lived with four roommates, bought second-hand, and did not waste dollars on "stupid crap" (you get to determine stupid crap).

Four:

No relationships at the hospital. Period. Ever seen "ER", "Grey's Anatomy" or "Scrubs"? Keep your libido in check.

A bad residency, especially the intern year, hurts for years...

Yeah, why are you getting punched? Are you calling DrDre's SO and telling her you love her? That was NOT the advice.:p

If that is the case I will have to punch you! I may be a plastic surgeon but I'm built like an orthopod...so watch it when it comes to my lady!

I would have worn a sword.

I would have worn a sword.

Hot damn thats a great idea. Samurai physician anyone? Don't like that long and unnecessary discharge form?......ssscchwack! Annoying nurse? How about a warning flyby with the sword. Grumpy or noncompliant patient...the sword comes out. Oh, how much better life would be.

1) would've drank more alcohol to numb the pain

2) wouldn't have taken things directed at me so personally- would have laughed harder under my breath instead...heck now I'd laugh out loud in their face to any egregious requests or off the mark comments.

I would have read more.

I would have called my SO more often and told him I loved him.

I would have kept exercising even on days when I was exhausted.

I just started residency and I dont know why... but all three of your advise sent a chill up my spine. :cry:

Hot damn thats a great idea. Samurai physician anyone? Don't like that long and unnecessary discharge form?......ssscchwack! Annoying nurse? How about a warning flyby with the sword. Grumpy or noncompliant patient...the sword comes out. Oh, how much better life would be.

Yeah, plus you can fall on it.

I would have ignored more inane pages on call in the middle of the night earlier in the year so as to maximize sleep