If you could go back , would you choose medicine over dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you choose medicine over dentistry?

• yes

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • no

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
N

NP545

Namely considering the primary care type physicians vs dentistry (assume general dentistry)

I am currently a premed who recently has contemplated switching to dentistry.
My priorities are mainly having a good lifestyle in my career, low stress, and some sense of satisfaction. Are these three common to achieve in dentistry, from your experiences?

If I went the medicine route, I would be looking at primary care most likely and wanted to know whether dentistry would suit my planned future priorities than medicine would.

Some concerns about switching to pre-dental I have is whether dentistry is really self-satisfying and is subjectively "better" than suffering through medical school + residency only to end up making the same amount of money as a dentist and potentially regretting my decision.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I was never split between medicine and dentistry like so many people seem to be. In my mind, you either want to be more of a diagnostician, or more of a clinician. I knew that I would love operating with a handpiece, working in the lab, and owning my own business. It's the best career I can think of, I would never change it for medicine.

Reactions: 2 users