If you could have a 4.0 from anywhere...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willthatsall

Unretired
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This talk about preference for prestigious undergrads and grade inflations and all that stuff made me think. So if you could have a 4.0 from any school in the U.S. taking all that stuff into account, where would it be? I'm taking MIT.

Members don't see this ad.

willthatsall said:
This talk about preference for prestigious undergrads and grade inflations and all that stuff made me think. So if you could have a 4.0 from any school in the U.S. taking all that stuff into account, where would it be? I'm taking MIT.

In terms of just difficulty involved, probably Caltech. In terms of overall educational experience plus prestige value, Haa-vard.

WatchingWaiting said:
In terms of just difficulty involved, probably Caltech. In terms of overall educational experience plus prestige value, Haa-vard.

Yeah, I like Hahvahd too, but the grade inflation thing makes it not quite as impressive as MIT in my book. Yeah, Cal Tech too.

Members don't see this ad :)
ID TAKE ONE FROM ROGER JACKSON.l

willthatsall said:

MIT is on a 5.0 scale. :laugh:

Princeton...best overall school in the nation. Or my undergrad would be nice (Rice).

Clown college

Great topic.... :rolleyes:

Cornell. If that's even possible...

I would second Cornell. I know of a lot of people in the 3.0-3.5 vicinity and very few in the 3.5+ category.

In theory, the MCAT takes care of all grade inflation, which is why we all have to suffer through the annoyance of taking it.

Definitely Princeton. The prestige factor is astronomical, and unparalleled even by Harvard, which everybody knows is worthless for undergrad (forgive the hyperbole). It might be easy to pull gentleman's B+'s, but try beating out some of the most gunnerish pre-meds in the world for the very few A's in the molbio dept.
That being said, I am sure it is harder to get a 4.0 at one of the "techs" (Mass/Cal, not GA), but that doesn't carry the same prolonged "wow" factor as good 'ole Princeton.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wash U. What grade inflation? Plus, their pre-med program is pretty difficult to begin with. They require all sorts of crazy stuff.

Lounge material?

But to play along, I would choose Caltech.

Fashion Institute

my school. reputation for being really hard (less than 20% graduate with a 3.5+) and i wouldn't trade a liberal arts education for anything.

Caltech. (My dad really wanted me to go there, but I didn't apply because I didn't want to go so far away. I was happy with my decision but whenever I watch "Real Genius" [a fantastic movie btw] I kind of wish I'd gone.)

I would say University of Idaho.........Just Kidding. I'd say a 4.0 is pretty hard almost anywhere. My answer is Princeton. :cool:

Harvard...it just has a nice ring to it.
Or my undergrad, case western reserve univ.

dartty said:
Georgia Tech.. hardest school to get a 4.0 in the nation

Ga Tech is hardcore if you go into engineering (which is the only real reason to go there), but for pre-med Emory takes the hardest to get the 4.0 in the state of GA.

Overall, I think the hardest place would be Hopkins, just cause competition there is so cut throat, and everyone views their fellow classmate as an enemy.

Swarthmore or Williams. Harvard is nice, but a 4.0 there is almost meaningless, as 90% of the class or more gets honors every year. I do agree that Caltech would be pretty darn good, too.

These grade inflation disclaimers are pretty meaningless in this forum, since the presumption is that we are talkng about obtaining a 4.0 with a courseload that includes at least the minimum pre-med requirements. Since that is the necessary foundation for discussion, saying that certain Ivy league schools have grade inflation is just ignorant. Science classes at these schools (ahem...Princeton) are set to the same median as everywhere else--the only difference is you are competing with the best and brightest instead of the almost best and brightest (forgive the gross generalization). So, de facto, the most competitive schools to get into and the schools that attract the most qualiied students must be the hardest to get a 4.0 with a science-based curriculum.

Cornell :) Or Johns Hopkins :)

Definitely MIT. That school is the definition of rigor. Berk, UVa and Hopkins coming in close too.

I know at least two people just on sdn boards who have 4.0+ GPA's from Cornell. Yes, above a 4.0. I don't think Cornell is that bad. And Harvard? Bwhahahaha... you're joking right? :laugh:

SanDiegoSOD said:
Lounge material?

But to play along, I would choose Caltech.

Yeah, I pondered it, but not many people in the lounge would respond to this. I love the people who answer with tons of sarcasm or say, "Nice post. :rolleyes: " Like it is such a stupid question it is below them. I don't remember making you click on this thread douchebags. Sure, it's a silly question, but I think it's a fun "what if?"

willthatsall said:
Yeah, I like Hahvahd too, but the grade inflation thing makes it not quite as impressive as MIT in my book. Yeah, Cal Tech too.

Caltech
Harvey Mudd
RPI
MIT

Harvard so I could drop little H bombs wherever I go.

HOPKINS!!!

(thought i'd show my alma mater some love :) )

skypilot said:
Harvard so I could drop little H bombs wherever I go.

I have to admit that, even with a 2.95 from there, dropping H bombs can be kinda fun.

liverotcod said:
I have to admit that, even with a 2.95 from there, dropping H bombs can be kinda fun.

:laugh: "Hahhhhhh-vahd" You're right. That is pretty fun! :D

My undergrad - Johns Hopkins ... it is very difficult to pull the 4.0 here. I would also agree to Princeton. It is an amazing school, and how f*&%ing awesome would it be to say, "yeah, I was valedictorian of my class at Princeton."

Benjo said:
Definitely Princeton. The prestige factor is astronomical, and unparalleled even by Harvard, which everybody knows is worthless for undergrad (forgive the hyperbole). It might be easy to pull gentleman's B+'s, but try beating out some of the most gunnerish pre-meds in the world for the very few A's in the molbio dept.
That being said, I am sure it is harder to get a 4.0 at one of the "techs" (Mass/Cal, not GA), but that doesn't carry the same prolonged "wow" factor as good 'ole Princeton.

ditto.

rick james said:
My undergrad - Johns Hopkins ... it is very difficult to pull the 4.0 here. I would also agree to Princeton. It is an amazing school, and how f*&%ing awesome would it be to say, "yeah, I was valedictorian of my class at Princeton."

fyi...having a 4.0 at princeton doesn't guarantee you the valedictorian hat. :eek: rough.

Yes, I am aware of this. The faculty decide upon the valedictorian.

Caltech just cause I know that those kids are super cut throat. I mean after all if they have to employ pass/fail for undergrad to prevent suicide and drop outs it must be insane.

HANDS DOWN COMPUTER SCIENCE AT COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY.

i say this cuz i went there with that damn major.

i'm sure columbia is not the hardest school out there, but the computer science department is merciless!

University of Phoenix Online. They have the most stringent admission policy in the nation. :)

Benjo said:
These grade inflation disclaimers are pretty meaningless in this forum, since the presumption is that we are talkng about obtaining a 4.0 with a courseload that includes at least the minimum pre-med requirements. Since that is the necessary foundation for discussion, saying that certain Ivy league schools have grade inflation is just ignorant. Science classes at these schools (ahem...Princeton) are set to the same median as everywhere else--the only difference is you are competing with the best and brightest instead of the almost best and brightest (forgive the gross generalization). So, de facto, the most competitive schools to get into and the schools that attract the most qualiied students must be the hardest to get a 4.0 with a science-based curriculum.

That was quite possible the most logically inept, yet still filled with $20 words, post I have ever seen. You are basing your theory on the assumption that science classes at all schools have essentially the same median GPA, which is complete hogwash. Using latin phrases like "de facto" does not make your claim any more correct. :rolleyes:

Univ of Chicago would have to be up there. Ten people graduate with honors. Very few if any 4.0s.