If you could re-do undergrad, what would you do differently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigBear123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year, and I've been giving this some thought. Here's my list:

- Get involved in student organizations starting in the first semester
- Really be active with the organizations and be adamant about getting solid leadership experience
- Don't stress over grades, or at least any more than you have to
- Wait until summer after junior year to take the MCAT (took it summer after sophomore year)
- Start research earlier, like summer after freshman year
- Go to office hours consistently for 1+ class each semester. For realz.
- Study abroad!
- Join a club sport and stick with it
- NOT double major ---> take as few classes as possible each semester

Members don't see this ad.

Get involved with research early .. don't join a million clubs your freshman year and neglect studying .. because a bad gpa your freshman year brings you down ! And its so much more work getting it up!!
Volunteer until your face turns blue.

Get involved with research early .. don't join a million clubs your freshman year and neglect studying .. because a bad gpa your freshman year brings you down ! And its so much more work getting it up!!
Volunteer until your face turns blue.

This is important.

I would also recommend that you get yourself a plan from the get-go. When you're gonna take the MCAT, when you're going to volunteer, where, and who you're going to shadow. Cuz in reality, you only have 3 years before you need to submit AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would....

- actually stay on top of classes instead of relying on my cramming abilities
- study abroad
- be less involved and don't let it interfere with my grades
- not taken chem, physics and biology all at the same time
- studied for MCAT using Berkeley Review
- begin writing my PS much earlier
- quit my research position earlier

I'd have transfer to a smaller university with fun nerds instead of my state's flagship.

I would have started clinical experience earlier.

Would have been more interested in humanities and history courses.

I would....

- actually stay on top of classes instead of relying on my cramming abilities
- study abroad
- be less involved and don't let it interfere with my grades
- not taken chem, physics and biology all at the same time
- studied for MCAT using Berkeley Review
- begin writing my PS much earlier
- quit my research position earlier

+1 for study abroad

I'm beginning my junior year.
-Volunteer at freshmen year (I started my junior year)
-Do research (still haven't done any!)
-Shadow a Doctor (only 2 and I've been contacting everywhere why is this so hard?)
-Tried my freshman year (I took ****ty classes didn't give a crap and partied way to much)
-----I ended freshmen year with 3.1 GPA
-get some leadership experience

Here is my list:
Started college at 18 instead of 24
Finished college before having kids
Started research Day 1 of college
Learned to make A's while skipping class in freshman year instead of Junior year
Did I mention research?
Started tutoring sophomore year instead of Senior year
Got to know faculty earlier

I had a great time, but knowing this would have made it better/easier

- Really be active with the organizations and be adamant about getting solid leadership experience
- Wait until summer after junior year to take the MCAT (took it summer after sophomore year)
- Study abroad!

pretty much everything you said. Sometimes I wish I could take five years for undergrad, just so I could fit in all of these types of things and get 6 hours of sleep a night with a social life

pretty much everything you said. Sometimes I wish I could take five years for undergrad, just so I could fit in all of these types of things and get 6 hours of sleep a night with a social life

I'm probably going to have to that 5 years. I really want to build up my application without having to go post-bac and "wasting" more money. :(

I would have actually tried opening a book my freshman year :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
-HAD More Fun

Going into Junior Year now.
Not so worried about my credentials. I spent so much time planning and putting things together that I never took enough time to really get to know my peers.

As of now most things in order

-got and maintained a 4.0 for two years
-Started Clinical experience first year
-started tutoring first year
-starting non-medical volunteering
-started as an RA at the beginning of the second year
-started research this previous spring at undergrad institution
-became an academic mentor during second year
-did research this last summer at state's medical school and volunteered at a clinic
-starting a peer advising organization for first year pre-med students
-took the MCAT 7/16/11

It's great to have everything in order. But sitting here I can't help but feel I didn't enjoy my time nearly as much as I could of. My mentality was that undergrad is strictly the path to med school. But really it's much more than that, there are so many intangibles at work, I wish I had made more time to experience them.

EDIT: 200 Posts!@

Last edited:
My advice for undergrad, in retrospect:

1) Major in something you love, not something you think will help with medical school/graduate school. You may never have another chance to study math/politics/writing in depth.

2) Don't join useless clubs. You can just as easily gain leadership experience through your fraternity, intramural sports league, or something you actually enjoy.

3) Know what your school's pre-med deadlines are. If your school has a committee letter that requires interviews and letters a year in advance, you don't want that to be a surprise come application season.

4) But most importantly...be who you are - not who you think med schools, your classmates, or your family wants you to be. Most people will never be this free again, and if you make yourself miserable in college, you really are missing out on something.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEvwQgQPkF0[/YOUTUBE]

-Had more fun definitely, I was buried in books and ECs.
-Did leadership/some volunteering later (I started a pre med club and president then transferred so it was essentially worthless)

-Major in a language
-Study abroad
-5-year plan
-Probably wouldn't have dropped the frat
-Raged way harder than I did

This is important.

I would also recommend that you get yourself a plan from the get-go. When you're gonna take the MCAT, when you're going to volunteer, where, and who you're going to shadow. Cuz in reality, you only have 3 years before you need to submit AMCAS.
I disagree. Med school admission is not solely a quantitative exercise. It's a mistake to waste your undergrad years acting like an robot who only does what you "think" will enhance your attractiveness as an applicant. People who take that approach are often the ones who crash out at interviews and then wonder what went wrong.

Read posts #14 & 15, it can't be said any better. Do every fun thing you have a chance to experience, do stupid things too, make lifelong friends, AND keep you grades up. There's plenty of time.

You've had over 7000 posts in less than a year, think of all the better things you might have done with all that time.

I disagree. Med school admission is not solely a quantitative exercise. It's a mistake to waste your undergrad years acting like an robot who only does what you "think" will enhance your attractiveness as an applicant. People who take that approach are often the ones who crash out at interviews and then wonder what went wrong.

Read posts #14 & 15, it can't be said any better. Do every fun thing you have a chance to experience, do stupid things too, make lifelong friends, AND keep you grades up. There's plenty of time.

You've had over 7000 posts in less than a year, think of all the better things you might have done with all that time.

oh-snap.jpg

Seriously. You only have 4 years to be young and stupid. Make them count.

- Study abroad!

Can I ask why? I plan to do this..

Seriously. You only have 4 years to be young and stupid. Make them count.

I heard that. I might not be the most competitive applicant now, but I definitely got all the partying out of my system and I'm ready to kick butt in med school.

Can I ask why? I plan to do this..

Two reasons:
1. Since I am taking time off after college, I am forced to take only one year off (instead of possibly two), which will make it harder for me to find a good research job.
2. Confidence. I was one of the youngest people in my MCAT class, which made me more unsure of my abilities. Many had already taken advanced biology classes, while I had not.

Unless you are sure you want to go to med school straight from college, and have strong grades/ECs to back you up, I really think it is better to wait until the summer after junior year to take your MCAT. But that's just my 2 cents.

Would've done more research and gotten that M.S.

I'm so thankful I found about SDN during my senior year of college and not earlier.

This is really helpful as a first year undergrad. Thanks guys!

1. i completely agree with the start research early advice. it is a great way to get to know professors, who will write your lor and you might even get a paper out of it. plus - you can use the research as credit (easy A in a science or take care of upper level credit requirement) the sooner the better.
2. study for the mcat early. people gave me bs about how I shouldn't really start too soon because, "there is no point since the exam is soooo far away". this - in my opinion - is sooo wrong. now i don't think you should use a bunch of practice tests early on, that's a waste. especially aamc tests, they need to be save for the last 2-3 months. but you really should start "studying for the mcat" freshmen year in your first general chemistry or biology or physics course - cuz it's all pretty much mcat material. consider each class an mcat subject prep course and take it seriously.

Getting admitted to med. school is not the final hurdle. In fact, it is just the beginning of a life filled with stupid hurdles. Screw what you think med. schools want to see from you in your app. I guarantee if you spend all your undergrad years solely thinking about what you should do in order to get accepted to med. school, you are going to look back one day and severely regret all that you did, and more importantly, all that you didn't do.

Getting admitted to med. school is not the final hurdle. In fact, it is just the beginning of a life filled with stupid hurdles. Screw what you think med. schools want to see from you in your app. I guarantee if you spend all your undergrad years solely thinking about what you should do in order to get accepted to med. school, you are going to look back one day and severely regret all that you did, and more importantly, all that you didn't do.

:thumbup:

As long as you have the gpa/MCAT and some clinical experience (and maybe a little research if you're aiming high), then it really doesn't matter what else is on your app. Do what you want. And many of these things will probably help your app look unique (and stronger) anyway.

It's okay to think ahead and plan some things out, but leave a lot of your undergrad open to explore new possibilities.

While I was interviewing, my study abroad experience (very, very non-medical, didn't even touch a science book) and my Spanish Lit major were brought up more than anything.

:thumbup:

As long as you have the gpa/MCAT and some clinical experience (and maybe a little research if you're aiming high), then it really doesn't matter what else is on your app. Do what you want. And many of these things will probably help your app look unique (and stronger) anyway.

It's okay to think ahead and plan some things out, but leave a lot of your undergrad open to explore new possibilities.

While I was interviewing, my study abroad experience (very, very non-medical, didn't even touch a science book) and my Spanish Lit major were brought up more than anything.

Wouldn't you say that non-clinical ECs are also important?

1) Major in something you love, not something you think will help with medical school/graduate school. You may never have another chance to study math/politics/writing in depth.

I agree with this totally. I picked my major because it was a bio submajor and it allowed me to graduate the fastest... I really regret it and wish I had majored in something I actually found interesting, like biochemistry or poli sci. However, I feared biochem would have been too hard... :\

Also, I would have made a ton more friends. I was your typical premed loser... Really wish I had.

I'd have transfer to a smaller university with fun nerds instead of my state's flagship.

Sounds like my college :)

I would focus more on extracurriculars and volunteering-- I joined a couple clubs and kept a good GPA, but was lacking in other areas.

If I could redo, I would have:

• Joined one or two groups and stuck with them throughout the 5 years (Ultimate Frisbee sounded so fun)
  • Not slack and skip class so much which led my GPA into a free fall
  • Paid attention in physics
  • Taken Chemistry and Biology classes

Attend easier university/major in something easy and add plenty of fluff classes for electives (instead of hard but interesting electives). Taking classes based on interest is fun, but so is applying to medical school with a high GPA (Well, not fun, but you know...). No one cares that you followed your passions if you don't have A's to show for it. Can't win the game if you don't play.

Senior here:

1. Pick a major that I really enjoy and do the pre-reqs on the side. As a freshman I didn't know that I could major in anything.

2. Get involved in research early on (Freshman or Sophomore year). Trying to get involved now just looks sad.

3. Get involved in clubs. I wish I would have done this early, instead of junior/senior year.

4. Volunteer for the entire college career. I just don't feel like you can ever have too much volunteer work.

5. Study freshman year! 2 C's really hurt your GPA even after 100 credits.

+ 1 for not cramming
+ 1 for not letting extra-curricular activities interfered with my grades

Note: I was a student who got involved with a volunteer organization very early on in college. However, I had not fully developed my time-management skills at the time, resulted in horrible, horrible grades. I spent way "too much" time volunteering, as rewarding as those experiences were. And then becoming a leader of the group in later years, when I still wasn't ready, only made things worse.

+1 for studying a foreign language
+1 for studying abroad

I would also add:
-not getting into a relationship, especially if that person isn't going to motivate you to work hard and is only going to be a distraction!
Note: Again, this is mostly related to my poor time management skills at the time

-learning early on how to manage my time more wisely (I'm sure this goes without saying by now).

-enrolled in a Biostatistics course (that involves working with a statistical package like STATA or SAS), preferably at a school of public health institution affiliated with your school (if possible) or with a poli sci or econ department (they are usually good with teaching students how to analyze survey data).

-getting involved in research WITH A GOOD MENTOR.

Note:
I cannot stress the quality of the mentorship enough. I started getting involved with research very early as an undergrad (first semester). In retrospect, I did not gain very much from doing that. Looking back on that experience, it is very clear how little energy the mentor I worked had invested in working with me. It seemed like the majority of the time I was there, I was used only to collect data and enter data. While that is fine and dandy, I consequently never really developed my ability to analyze the data I collected. Furthermore, I found that it was difficult finding time to work with my research mentor on the analysis. My senior year, I worked with him on my seniors honors thesis. Two weeks before the thesis was due, I sent him a draft to read over and edit, and I was told that it was good to go. However, my thesis was essentially ripped to shreds. As it turned out, my thesis was not good to go after all. In fact, it was really, really, really bad. I had made egregious errors that a researcher of his caliber would have been able to catch easily. Thus, it seemed as though my mentor never read over the draft at all before giving it the green light.

I stayed with the same professor for the duration of my undergraduate studies out of fear that I would not be able to find anyone else to work with. But now I regret it, and I was probably better off not wasting any time working with him at all. In the back of my mind, I knew that I was selling myself short. All of the signs were there: neglected e-mails, missed appointments, no follow-ups. Hell, even my mentor's program manager and graduate research assistants were unhappy! But I was too immature or shy or naive to just walk away. I naively thought that things would change. But seriously, the smarter thing to do really would have been for me to cut my losses early, and find someone else to work with, or not do research at all. All of the issues I experienced could have been easily avoided if I was more strategic in choosing the professor to conduct research with.

The take home lesson I would say is to find someone who is actually enthused about working with undergraduates, because I will admit...undergrads can be handfuls sometimes. You and your research mentor should also agree early on that you are willing to work hard. You're probably going to start with remedial tasks, but given your limited skill sets when starting...that's totally fine. However, you want to be able to make sure you develop a relationship with your mentor such that they are willing to allow you to have more responsibilities, and they are able to help you develop additional skills. Ideally, your efforts will lead to a viable publication later down the road. Articulate your interests in getting practice with analyzing the data you collect, as well as a desire to accompany them to conferences, and collaborating on publications if possible.

Wouldn't you say that non-clinical ECs are also important?

That was my point. When I said it doesn't really matter what else is on your app, I meant that you should do something, it just doesn't matter if it's med-related or not.