If you could

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Samiamm

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stay in a pretty nice house no charge, very close to your medical school, but it's a DO school, would you rather go DO, if you were also sitting on MD acceptances, and if not, why (excluding that it might be harder to land a nice residency when you graduate)

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the school. What two scholl are you taking here

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

Any MD school vs Marian University

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were answering for myself I would prefer to go MD and either live on my own because I enjoy my independence, or live with some of my peers. The idea being the benefit of having friends to study with and to keep me motivated around at all times. Also that would make social interactions much easier assuming they would share similar schedules. Hope this helps you gain some perspective.

Ok we'll not ANY, obviously if your dream school or a top tier accepts you I understand but other than that

Location is important. I don't know, I would probably go with the MD school.

However I will say when I want to interview at TCOM I really liked the idea of living in Ft. Worth and that school was super awesome.

It would be a tough choice depending on the DO school. I haven't heard anything about Marian University, but if the students get a lot matches at a specialty your interested in then i would go there.

However I will say when I want to interview at TCOM I really liked the idea of living in Ft. Worth and that school was super awesome.

It would be a tough choice depending on the DO school. I haven't heard anything about Marian University, but if the students get a lot matches at a specialty your interested in then i would go there.

Since I haven't heard much about marian I eould say go with md school. But I may be wrong. Marian might have fantastic rotations and resident match list

Marian is new, first class this year, so no match for 4 years.

Stay in a pretty nice house no charge, very close to your medical school, but it's a DO school, would you rather go DO, if you were also sitting on MD acceptances, and if not, why (excluding that it might be harder to land a nice residency when you graduate)

Any MD school vs Marian University

If DO wasn't disadvantaged in matching and I liked the DO school and surrounding area, I would go to the DO school and save ~$15k in living expenses.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Marian is new, first class this year, so no match for 4 years.

Oh no question about it. Md school

Oh no question about it. Md school

Yea I personally don't think DO is a bad option but I think DO is unfortunately still harder to get better matches into competitive programs, so if its a brand new school that's a big gamble.

Also I feel like the first year class at new schools are kind of like guinea pigs as the faculty are barely trying out new curriculum

This is a rather meaningless question if you "[exclude] that it might be harder to land a nice residency when you graduate", as that is one of the most-cited reasons for choosing MD over DO. It's like asking 'would you prefer turkey or roast beef (excluding any noticeable taste differences' or 'would you rather eat a delicious Salmonella-laden dinner or a bland healthy one (excluding any effects Salmonella might have on your gastrointestinal tract)'.

This is a rather meaningless question if you "[exclude] that it might be harder to land a nice residency when you graduate", as that is one of the most-cited reasons for choosing MD over DO. It's like asking 'would you prefer turkey or roast beef (excluding any noticeable taste differences' or 'would you rather eat a delicious Salmonella-laden dinner or a bland healthy one (excluding any effects Salmonella might have on your gastrointestinal tract)'.

Oh I wasn't aware that could be the only difference in between deciding DO or MD. sorry (no sarcasm)

Do not go DO unless you absolutely need to (this coming from an MS3 DO student). Marian is BRAND new making the decision even riskier. You dont have an alumni network/name/PD experience with graduates to help you out.

I have a DO school about 45 min from home. I left my state for medical school at a solid mid-tier MD program. Why? The MD program was better, had more opportunities, better clinical training, over a century more history, etc. In other words, the MD program was MUCH better. I didn't even apply to my state's DO school. It wouldn't have been worth it to go there and I would have regretted applying if I had had to go there.

Do not go DO unless you absolutely need to (this coming from an MS3 DO student). Marian is BRAND new making the decision even riskier. You dont have an alumni network/name/PD experience with graduates to help you out.

I agree with this, even assuming you aren't taking into account the difficulty to match with DO, it would be a no brainer for me. Definitely go MD.