If you didn't have to pay for them. . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HollyJ

Realtors are evil
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
...what instruments would you buy? A family member has very nicely offered to buy my stethoscope etc., but I don't really know what I need or what kind to buy. I would like to get everything that I'll need for the next couple of years, since I don't know if this offer will expire.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Stethoscopes and opthalmoscopes do not become obsolete. For a grand total of $500 you can get both and still have a few bucks left over for a reflex hammer. These tools will last you your whole professional career.

Get a good normal (not electronic) stethoscope (I vote for a Sprague Rappaport... made by HP or Phillipps), and a regular Welch-Allyn ophthalmoscope with a lithium ion battery. The Panopticons (or whatever they are called) are nice but no one has them and you need to be proficient with a regular opthalmoscope.

Agree... As far as steths... the Littman Cardiology III is really good and commonly used in the hospital i am currently rotating through. Attendings, residents etc use these. That being said if you want to be a cardiologist or a pediatrician and you are SURE (although this will change) look at other options. Also, I think getting your tuning forks even though they are cheap are worthwhile to have. Besides that all you need is your brain as far as tools go...

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as the sprague goes, it fits in your pocket a little better and the cardiology guys like it more. That being said most younger attendings in Medicine, ER etc go with the Littman Cardio III. Dont waste your money on the electronic ones, they are a crutch that people will not allow you to use. Also the same can be said about the Pan-Optic. I would get the same one mentioned by the other poster. Welch Allen with Li ion battery withOUT the Pan optic, much like the steths this is a crutch which no one will allow you to use. Additionally, it is way way too bulky to carry on the wards. I think WA is trying to find a way to make more money selling crap. Even if you want to do optho this is still a bad option.

Yeah, don't waste the money (or ask someone to waste the money) on a PanOptic or anything fancy. I'd argue against getting an ophthalmoscope at all. The only time you even use it in med school is to practice and during Neurology if you're on a consult service. If you do get one, get the Welsh-Allyn with the Li-ion handle and standard direct ophthalmoscope like the others have suggested. Very light-weight if you don't carry it around in the case.

As for the stethoscopes, Littman Cardio III, like previously mentioned, is a pretty standard and good quality. I like it because it has a the dual diaphragm, which becomes useful during the Pediatrics rotation.

Other little inexpensive things you'll probably need are a tuning fork, reflex hammer, and penlight. (You can get reflex hammers and penlights from pharm reps, but you probably don't have access to them yet.)

Oh, and if your school tells you to buy a BP cuff--don't. It's totally not worth it. Biggest scam ever.

HollyJ said:
...what instruments would you buy? A family member has very nicely offered to buy my stethoscope etc., but I don't really know what I need or what kind to buy. I would like to get everything that I'll need for the next couple of years, since I don't know if this offer will expire.

Thanks!!

MRI and a 3 D bone scanner!!!
Hey if I'm not buying I must go big!

If you want to be really cool you'll get some of the nicer EKG calipers like these: http://www.penstrument.com/

And it's not because they cost more, it's because they have a) a pocket clip b) a real cover that won't come off in your pocket. If you've ever nearly sat on some exposed calipers you'll appreciate point b.

What about an otoscope? Is that something you should buy? I have a cheap-o one (it cost about $30), so I'm wondering if I should get a "real" one.

ECG calipers? Whatever happened to pen and paper? ;)

Otoscope is probably not worth it unless you are going into peds (besides, the Welch-Allyn kit comes with both opthalmoscope and otoscope heads).