If you dont get into med school, what will you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackSails

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So if you dont get into med school, what do you think you will do?

If I dont get in/if I get in and then realize its not what I want to do, I am going to get a PhD in math and go into finance.

Failing that, I will join the FBI (science degree + language == very desireable to them)

What about all of you?

Members don't see this ad.

ill kill myself.

These threads are hilarious. Not getting in isn't the end of the world. If you don't get in then GET A JOB and keep trying until you do get in. That's what I do and there's no reason a healthy 22 year old can't do it either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stick my head in an oven preheated to 500 degrees. Then I will stick my fingers into an electric socket. If that didn't do the trick, I can always jump into shark infested waters! :smuggrin:

I'll try for caribbean/DO schools if I don't get in to US MD schools. My passion is to be a neurologist so I'll take whichever path is readily available.

It's a scary notion to entertain, but if I don't get into medicine, I would probably stay in academia. It affords you a sense of security I don't think any other job can offer. The pay wouldn't be that great, but the lifestyle would be great.

I'll probably get a doctorate in comparative lit. or archaeology or .... symbology and uncover the secrets of the Illuminati, crack Da Vinci's code, and have intimate relations with women half my age (Dan Brown... such a dreamer.. haha).

Sometimes, you all act and reason like little children.

Case in point, just about every post above this one.

I would explain why I came to this conclusion, but that will only serve to entertain all your id complex. Trust me, I don't have that kind of time.

I would explain why I came to this conclusion, but that will only serve to entertain all your id complex. Trust me, I don't have that kind of time.

Id complex? If you are going to use outdated disproven psychological terms, at least use them correctly.

i think i would...become an actor and make my own show... jojo... m.d.

I've always been an idealist, and will always be. It beats being a cynical, skeptical arse drowning in its own narcissistic notion of self. Case in point, quoted post.

No need to explain, I doubt anyone wants to hear anyways. You seem like a great person, man. Best of luck.

Btw, I blocked you just for the heck of it.

Id complex? If you are going to use outdated disproven psychological terms, at least use them correctly.

I did. Go learn correctly...

I've always been an idealist, and will always be. It beats being a cynical, skeptical arse drowning in its own narcissistic notion of self. Case in point, quoted post.

No need to explain, I doubt anyone wants to hear anyways. You seem like a great person, man. Best of luck.

Oh no, you blocked me, I'm so sad...:(. Heck, that makes one less anonymous person I care about.
Thanks for pointing it out by the way, it really brings a certain joy to me knowing that you took the time to read my post, respond to my post, go to your user cp, and then block me (or whichever order you prefer).

Yea, I'm cynical, but it's still better than your idealistic, "I'm going to cure everyone and bring sunshine to the world", "So I need to get to medical school, because I need to help people".
It's really that scary of a notion for you to think of not getting accepted into medical school. Hmm, maybe you should take another quick glance at the number of applicants vs. matriculate.

Good Luck with your the world is made of roses ideals. While you are it, please let us know that you're also willing to eat a poop sandwich in order to gain an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
i've always thought about a career in law enforcement...its always been something i've had an interest in.

Good Luck with your the world is made of roses ideals. While you are it, please let us know that you're also willing to eat a poop sandwich in order to gain an acceptance.

hehe... that made me laugh... poop sandwich...

But back on topic with the thread--if I do not get into medical school this go around I will sit out a year and then reapply. If I don't get in then, I will probably go into a masters or PhD program. If I still feel up to at least 7 more years of schooling, then I will apply one more time. But if no medical school wants me after my third attempt, I think I will work at Wal-Mart as a greeter and randomly cling on to people as they come into the store and beg them to take me home with them.

Okay, I already got in, but if I didn't I had decided that I would be an event planner. :p ::seriously::

1) make a collage of all my rejection letters and frame it
2) continue slaving away as a research grunt
3) by some miracle of god become more gainfully employed
4) american idol (if sanjaya can do it...)
5) apply again

If medicine is truly your career goal then consider a rejection as an opportunity in disguise.

I would just take an alternative route and continue tailoring myself to become a better applicant. A current of water goes around a boulder if not through it.

Personally right now
B.S. Bio => *here* 2 years research (some pubs) => M.S. Bio/Med Something => Bio/Med Something related job => Maybe Ph.D

And should you still fail entry, its only when WILL finally gets to you (not age), you should consider more on what you've become as opposed to who you wish you could've been.

After all, life boils down to: providing a service to society, holding a position in society, maybe raise a family, and make the best of your experience alive; all of which you can succeed with less than a degree in Basket Weaving.

My apologies to the Basket Weavers of SDN for the example.

I will keep reapplying, but I will probably go into a Master's in my field (East Asian studies) in the meantime, since you can get pretty decent funding for it and it adds something to your application, unlike some crappy job.

Go ahead and block me too, before I do the forum equivalent of castrating you in front of your peers. :smuggrin:

I'm going to take this question as "What will you do if you never get in, anywhere, ever?"

1. In an ideal world I would galavant across Europe for a while getting my thoughts together
but.....since my parents can't afford that
2. I will hope for a history of medicine grad acceptance and get my PhD and become a professor
3. If 1 and 2 fail, my boyfriend is starting med school in the Fall and I could always just be *shudders* a stay-at-home mom (of course I would have to have kids first, but I'm sure that could be accomplished)

P.S. Anyone who knows me knows I would end up in the mental ward if I had to do number three (we need a smiley in a straight jacket)