1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

if you fail step 1, will your medical school tell you?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by hippocampus, Jun 17, 2008.

1. hippocampus

hippocampus Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

let's say you never check your score and that you want to forget that you ever took the exam. will your medical school eventually contact you to tell you that you failed? also, when do you have to retake step 1 by if you've already started your 3rd year rotations?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tfom08

2+ Year Member

My school will pull you off rotations. So yeah, I think they let you know.

4. misparas

misparas Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I think that the policy changes from school to school.

Our school told us that you finish the rotation that you are on. You can start the next rotation when you retake step 1. So it would just interrupt 1 rotation.

Check with your school if you are really worried. I'm sure that you don't have to worry about it.

5. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    UNE pulls you immediately from your rotation and makes you wait a certain amount of time before you can take it again (I think 9 weeks??).

The pulling from rotations and the competition among med schools for hospital rotation sites (we share several with Tufts and UVM students) has led to a new policy that we have to pass step 1 before you even start rotations. So if you take boards late and don't get your scores back in time, you've just ensured your first block being rescheduled to fourth year (which also means you just used all your vacation time for 3rd/4th year for studying).

6. tfom08

2+ Year Member

Retake or pass? Around here they give you the benefit of the doubt for your first rotation, but after that I think you have to get your results back with a passing score before you are back in the hospital.

7. Alteran

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Our school gives us a page if we failed the morning the results are released. No page by 10 AM means you passed here at my school.

8. tfom08

2+ Year Member

What is the deal with scores anyway? I know people have said they check them online, but then some people say they missed getting their score because their school office was closed. Does it vary from school to school whether or not you can check your school online without finding out from your school?

9. Alteran

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You can check them online. I doubt the school office was closed for an arbitrary reason. They were probably managing the students that had failed and closed the office to have a "confidential" environment to counsel the students about retaking the exam, etc. If you have your nbme log on ID and password, you can check it yourself.

The only thing I would say, as a tangent, is don't lose the official score card that NBME will be sending you in the mail with your performance and score on it. Away rotation programs may ask for a copy of the original (they wanted a scan of my score card for the application packet with one of my aways) and licensing bodies may actually want to see the real thing I'm told. Should you lose it, its $50 to have another one sent to you.