If you get accepted to more than 1, which school would you pick?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
in-state?
cheaper school?
less/more students?
good environment (beach/mountains/hot/cold)?
city? country side?
near bf/gf/family?
near hollywood/disney land/kings dominion...etc?
the school with the best reputation?
the school with the best professors?
the school with more of your friends?
others?

I am just curious which factor you guys would consider the most.

Members don't see this ad.

All factors should be considered, however any accredited school will give you a decent education whether you pay 100k or 400k. I would choose the most economical option.

The best school to pick is the one you liked the most, where you could imagine yourself living for the next four years, and where you feel is a best fit - which is really a gut feeling. Sure, money does play a part into it, and state schools are a big plus, but 20 years down the road it really won't be any real difference. Also, location to family and loved ones is also important... I'm paying 500 bucks to fly back for thanksgiving. And don't feel obligated to go to a more "prestigious" school if you get in if you don't like it as much - I had that feeling for a while and it was really hard to overcome during my decision making, but once I finally did, I knew I had made the right choice (no matter how much my Ivy League brother couldn't understand why).

It takes a lot of thought, so just be sure to think it through on all sides. And you don't have all of the information you'll need, so don't stress about it right now. Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm considering going to an out-of-state school over my in-state. I'm pretty sure I want to go into general dentistry, so I'm looking for a school that gives an extremely good clinical experience. To me the extra $50000 to go to an out-of-state school that better fits your needs is well worth it. I don't think I'd pay an extra $100,000 though. Also, if you're going military cost doesn't matter and you should go to your number 1 school regardless of cost, but keep in mind you still have to pay living expenses.

Another thought is that I think that I would prefer schools that use the "spoon feeding" method. That is, all notes are available online if you need them.

Last edited:
i dont know about u guys... but i wanna go to the school closest to disneyland. lol. i think thats my biggest concern, right now. how far it is from an amusement park...

NOVA, here I come!

i dont know about u guys... but i wanna go to the school closest to disneyland. lol. i think thats my biggest concern, right now. how far it is from an amusement park...

NOVA, here I come!

Haha, that would be a great thing to bring up in your interview:

Interviewer: So what draws you most to Nova SofD?

You: It's close to Disney World!

As an overly done with school for the day dental student after having been there for 10 hours, I looked it up, and it was a close race between Loma Linda, USC, and UCLA, but USC won out, and is 29.4 miles away, though UCLA was close at 34.7, and Loma Linda not much further away at 41.3, just in the opposite direction of the other two. So there you have it good pre-dent, apply away :)

I'm considering going to an out-of-state school over my in-state. I'm pretty sure I want to go into general dentistry, so I'm looking for a school that gives an extremely good clinical experience. To me the extra $50000 to go to an out-of-state school that better fits your needs is well worth it. I don't think I'd pay an extra $100,000 though. Also, if you're going military cost doesn't matter and you should go to your number 1 school regardless of cost, but keep in mind you still have to pay living expenses.

Another thought is that I think that I would prefer schools that use the "spoon feeding" method. That is, all notes are available online if you need them.

How do you know which schools have the "spoon feeding" method and which ones leave the students to go figure it out on their own??

How do you know which schools have the "spoon feeding" method and which ones leave the students to go figure it out on their own??

I would pick the school with the study environment and the group of students that fit my personality THE BEST. I picked SDSU over couple UC undergrads and honestly. . . . 5 years later I never regret my deicision. I had sooooo sooo much fun at SDSU and people here are so freidnly and fun to be around with, I LOVE IT. So I am gonna take the exact same approach with dental schools if I get to be accepted to multiple schools.