If you get fired in a neurosurgery resident, what will you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

watermen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious to know, if you get fired in a neurosurgery residency, what will you do?

Sorry for the typo error of the title.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry but whats Fp? :confused:, and how can you get fired in such a residency?

Would it be safe to say that the opposite is also true? That is, if a person is in an FM residency now, but did a year in a neurosurgery first, then that person was *probably* fired from the neurosurgery program?

The reason I ask is I have a friend who is now a FM resident, but he did a year in a urology program. I want to ask him the details as to why he switched to FM but I'm afraid that I'm just rubbing in what might be obvious to everyone else -- that he was fired from his urology program.

Obviously there must be a few that actually want to switch out of the competitive programs to something easier for family/personal reasons, but is it presumed that it was much more likely due to getting fired?

there are always a few people every year who switch from neurosurgery into something else: anesthesia, family practice, ER, radiology, etc. while it is common for "fired" residents to find a different specialty, there are always those who are able to secure another neurosurgery spot at another institution.

people leave for various reasons: not what they thought it'd be, family, etc.

getting fired is not the end of the world and what you do afterwards depends on why you got fired. if it was because of so-called "personality conflicts," you'll probably find yourself another neurosurgery spot. if it was because of some bad unethical thing that you did, it will be difficult to stay within neurosurgery and may be difficult to stay in medicine.

Actually... I know someone who got 'fired' from a neurosurg residence. He was in his PGY-3 year and was a foreign med grad on top of it. He was lucky to get in, but couldn't get along with the attendings/other residents. He is now a neurologist and lives a very good and social life :)

Actually... I know someone who got 'fired' from a neurosurg residence. He was in his PGY-3 year and was a foreign med grad on top of it. He was lucky to get in, but couldn't get along with the attendings/other residents. He is now a neurologist and lives a very good and social life :)

OMG...get fired because you cannot get along??? Is this a reason to fire?

Getting fired happens often in some programs. From my expereince, I think you do radiology or research. I think if you're more senior life is hard; you have to make do with cards you've been dealt.

OMG...get fired because you cannot get along??? Is this a reason to fire?

As I'm sure no one is reading this post anymore, this post upset me.

Yes, you can be fired for not "fitting in." It is not ethical and can not be justified easily. Trust me. Welcome to the politics of medicine.

Noone can be fired for not getting along as the official reason, right?

Someone would have to fabricate a stack of negative evaluations to justify the firing.

Does a single person have the power to fire someone in a typical residency program or are evaluations divided among multiple people?

Noone can be fired for not getting along as the official reason, right?

Someone would have to fabricate a stack of negative evaluations to justify the firing.

Does a single person have the power to fire someone in a typical residency program or are evaluations divided among multiple people?

This is what's known as "building a case". Generally, most programs aren't going to fire you because they don't like your chuckle or the color of the tie you wear to clinic. If they're going to fire you for "not getting along", it'd have to be something serious like a repeated pattern of being unprofessional to colleagues, patients, etc. This is especially true in Neurosurgery residency, where you may be 1 of <4 residents in your class. Also, you're probably not going to be fired because one or two people just don't like you; it would have to be multiple people or a few individuals high on the ladder and who have considerable reason to feel that you shouldn't continue at the facility. Either way, it's very unlikely that negative documents would be generated and forged; it simply wouldn't be necessary. The program can just slowly build up a case against an individual, documenting just about every transgression (no matter how comparatively minor), and use that as support for termination. But once again, this sort of thing is exceedingly rare, and more often than not, residents who are terminated incur that result due to their own actions (or lack thereof) rather than a program just being out to get them.

As I'm sure no one is reading this post anymore, this post upset me.

Yes, you can be fired for not "fitting in." It is not ethical and can not be justified easily. Trust me. Welcome to the politics of medicine.

This is hardly specific to medicine. I would say welcome to the politics of the real world.

This is hardly specific to medicine. I would say welcome to the politics of the real world.

Agreed.

I'm a med student now, but have worked previously. In any job, being an a$sh0le gets you canned. A non-specific "that dude rubs me the wrong way" or "he's totally lame and not cool" wouldn't be enough. However, if you're a douche, you will likely produce enough reportable incidents that there will be grounds to fire you, often for good reason.

This isn't petty. This is practical. Everyone suffers if someone is insufferable. You really shouldn't have to be worried about it.... ;)