Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

If you get mad about people posting the same thing, dont bother reading this one.....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Buckeye(OH), Mar 30, 2004.

1. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    OK, so, I have been trying my best not to ask this question, but being a worrier, I just can't help myself.

I am going to give you my stats, and you will tell me (please), in your HONEST opinion, what kind of chances I am looking at for acceptance.

OK, everyone ready? Here it goes

Undergrad Instit: The Ohio State University
    Undergrad GPA: 3.23 (which includes a D and an F, the only two poor grades which were retaken)
    Undergrad Major: Molecular Genetics

Graduate School: The Ohio State University
    Program: MPH (in progress)
    Graduate GPA: 4.0

I have attended several cancer conferences and have been a poster presenter/abstract submitter.
    I have a few publications and quite a bit of volunteer work in the clinic and in society (habitat for humanity etc). I have excellent LOR's (I assume so, obviously I wont be able to ready them)

I'm sorry if this post irritates anyone, but man, I am anxious...

Thanks
    Adrian

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. James20062

James20062 Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    MCAT scores?

4. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Yup, I guess that would be helpful

8-8-12

5. Aaron Earles

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    What was the 12 in?

6. Aaron Earles

Fellow [Any Field]
    If you want my honest opinion, I think you have great credentials. I too have a masters degree with good hospital experience. I also have some volunteer experience. Given the difficulty of Molecular genetics, I say that your GPA is fine. I think that your MCATS are good too. I wish that mine had been that good. hahaha..

Where did you want to apply?

7. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    The 12 is in bio although I wish it was in physical sciences.

I am applying ALLLLLL over the place, but I am trying to cut down on my numbers so as to save cost. I will be applying to MD and DO schools.

8. Aaron Earles

Fellow [Any Field]
    WHen you decide, let me know the schools, I have probably applied to some of the same schools. Maybe i can give you some advice. Please keep us posted on your success.

Aaron

9. I think you have a very good shot. Your MPH (done in a year?), research, and MCATS are more than enough for most DO schools.

10. LP1CW

LP1CW Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think you'll get interviews. Your undergraduae GPA might be higher when they calculate it for the DO application. They only count your second time taking a class. That might help you a bit.

Your MCAT is okay. For DO programs you are solid. For MD programs you are toward the lower end. Apply wide. Shadow a DO, shadow 2. Get letters from them. It helps. Visit the school that you are interested in.

Good luck.

11. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Lower end meaning don't bother, or lower end meaning of 20-25 schools I have a good shot of getting in somewhere.....

Adrian

12. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Out of curiousity, do any schools consider a composite MCAT score?

My composite score would be 2 points higher than my single score alone.

Adrian

13. DORoe

DORoe BWAAA HAAA HAAA
    7+ Year Member

I can tell you that you have a good shot at getting into your state DO school. I was accepted to OUCOM with almost the same stats minus the publications and MPH. As far as MD schools go I think you should apply. I wouldn't say not to bother with it. One thing though, do you understand the large cost for applying to 20-25 schools? I think after I figured up all of my application fees (primary and secondary) I had something close to 2000 dollars in it for appr. 12 schools. Even more after the cost of travel to the interviews and buying a suit and all that stuff. I figure the application process cost me almost 3 grand.

14. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Yes, I have considered the cost and the reason I can afford to do such a thing is because of my folks. They are willing to help me out but let me preface that by saying I had a full ride to OSU and my masters is paid for by work, so essentially, there has been little to no out of pocket expense for them thus far.

Without my folks, Id be screwed, because on my graduate research associate stipend I can barely feed myself and pay rent.

Adrian

15. (nicedream)

(nicedream) Fitter Happier
    7+ Year Member

Not only your MCAT scores, but your undergrad GPA is also quite low for MD schools. I would definitely still apply though - and DO schools you shouldn't have a problem. I'd apply widely to DO schools, and more narrowly to MD schools hoping for a break if that's what you prefer.

16. shsgrad

shsgrad Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I had MCAT scores lower than yours, and I still got into 2 MD programs. In the end I think it was my interviews that got me an acceptance. I too have an MPH and 3 publications (with one in review) and I got into the DO program that I applied for. From what you have posted, you seem to be great candidate for either MD or DO schools. :)

17. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

Your gpa is ok and your MCAT is good. If you apply to all DO schools, you shouldn't have a problem. :thumbup:

18. LP1CW

LP1CW Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If you are applying this year, why not retake the MCAT? I'm not sure if you'd be ready for the April MCAT, but you might be.

If you could get your scores us to 9's or 10's, I would think you'd be better off. 8 is borderline. I don't think it will keep you out, but a 9 or 10 would put you in a better position.

The only problem with a retake is that you could go down too. Were you testing above 8's when you did your practice exams? You might have only missed 9's by a question or two? It's so hard to know. I'm really confident that you'll get into DO schools, most schools have an average around 8, but I think you would be better served with a higher MCAT for MD programs...

I still think you might get into some MD programs.

19. adelarin

adelarin Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think you have a real solid chance. MCAT, good, GPA doable. Not on the adcom but you should be good to go for DO schools and a possible chance at MD schools. Good luck :)

20. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Well, this was somewhat encouraging...anyone else:)

Thanks all
    Adrian

21. U4iA

U4iA εὐφορία
    10+ Year Member

familiarize yourself with OUCOM. write a very good secondary essay that is specific to the school. Know everything there is about the school and be confident during the three interviews (they are not stressful) and show them why you really want to be a physician, and particularly why you want to attend Ohio U and become an osteopath (stay with a student the night before the interview, they can teach you a lot that you can bring up during your interview). if you do well on the interview, I guarantee you will get in. so don't worry too much..

if you have any questions you can feel free to PM..

22. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    How does one arrange staying with an OU student overnight?

I have been in contact with a DO and should be shadowing etc pretty soon!

Wish I would have checked out this website more often a year ago :(

Adrian

23. bella_dottoressa

bella_dottoressa make it happen
    7+ Year Member

Hey! I'm a Buckeye too. :)

If you apply wide I think you have a GREAT chance, especially at DO's, but I think you will get some looks at some allo schools too if you apply big and early and have lots of motivation to get those secondaries done. Your grad work is awesome and your mcat is fine I think. OU is definately theoretically your best shot, but the process is random so you never really know. '

Have you thought about retaking the mcat? Do you think you can do better? You could always take it in August (with me! :) ) and have some new improved scores (not that yours is bad) to send that might help you out. Also if you didn't get in this year, the mcat would be what you would want to work on since you've already taken steps to help out the GPA...Just a thought.

Good luck!! :)

24. Docgeorge

Docgeorge Bent Over and Violated
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I dont think you need to worry too much about getting in some where. If money is not a prblem, go for broke.

25. U4iA

U4iA εὐφορία
    10+ Year Member

contact the admissions office. this application cycle sarah tipton handled the accomodations. it may be a different person in the future.
    -euphoria

26. Doctor Peloncito

Doctor Peloncito Family Physician
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    unless you repeated those classes more than once, AACOMAS will replace them in your GPA, but they will still be visible on your transcript. This is different from AMCAS, they average all of your grades no matter how many times you have taken the class. As for your other stats, you are fine for most DO schools, and a good few allos as well. Show enthusiasm for the profession and wow people at your interviews and you will soon be in the trenches of med school :)

27. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I only retook each class once so I should be good.

Man, this is an exciting time but pretty scary too!

Adrian