If you got a 13-15 on verbal....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qweewq11

Smiley orgy organizer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say you got 13-15V, 1PS, 1BS (theoretical example), and someone asked for your MCAT scores.

Is that score considered an overall 17? Or 15? Or 15-17? Just curious, especially since in the AAMC book they have a table with overall MCAT scores and they don't specify...

Members don't see this ad.

I thought it was impossible to get a 1 on the PS or BS, anyways...

I had a friend who got the 13-15 on the vaunted verbal and an 11 and 12 on the sciences. When people asked, he said he got a 36-38. I think AMCAS reports the scores including the range, how a school interprets it is beyond me, but I would think they'd consider anyone with a 13-15 on the verbal as quite outstanding.

I have a hunch that schools receive percentiles (I was able to peek at an interviewer's file).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd lie- better to be seen as dumb than a verbal nerd!!! :) --Trek

I'd assume they'd redirect your application to law school or the new Target store they are opening up around the corner. I'm not sure how law school would work, but I believe the manager at the local Target would interpret that as a 15, and not a 15-17... so they could start you at minimum wage rather than $7.50 an hour.

Hmm let me rephrase this so that it is more realistic:

Scores: 13-15, 10B, 10V.

Total score? 35? 33? 33-35?

If someone asked me what I got and I had those scores, I'd just say "better than you did". The person wouldn't ask any further questions I'm sure :D

Rezul

most people say the range - but then again, most people that ask don't know what the score means. i'd just tell them you got an A+ and a golden star.:)

I had a 13-15 on Verbal, and it was interpreted as 13 on everything I ever saw with my total score on it.

I consider a 13 a perfect score, especially since I can't seem to get over a 10 on a practice test or on the real thing.

I got a 13-15 on verbal and when I printed the AMCAS (last year) it was reported as a 13. I think that schools receive an explaination and know that 13 means the top score.

I wanted to believe my score was 33-35 because having that 35 in there makes it sound better. In reality, its a 33 :( ,
On second thought :clap: . 33 is great. Don't worry.

I guess it's just annoying since next year it's possible to get a 15.

yeah...i need help too....JUMBALIA:clap:

I think the medical schools recieve score reports similar to our own... in my open-file UCLA interview, my interviewer knew exactly what I had on all my previous MCAT attempts and commented about it.

Originally posted by qweewq11
I guess it's just annoying since next year it's possible to get a 15.
You for real, player? :confused:

I think it would be very unfortunate for a person to receive a total score of 28-30 on the MCAT with the following breakdown:

Verbal: 13-15
Physical Sciences: 7
Biological Sciences: 8

I strongly believe a score of 30 is a big cut-off for many applicants at many medical schools. (I understand there are also many applicants with a score below 30; however, I think more *competitive* applicants are those that score 30 and higher. Please do not flame me for this if you disagree. I am just offering my humble opinion and what many successful applicants have shared with me.) I don't think many medical schools are forgiving to applicants that have scored very high on the Verbal Section while much poorer on the Physical and Biological Sciences Sections. I wish this wasn't the case. In my opinion, any person who scores 13-15 on the Verbal Section deserves to be accepted to medical school, even if their other scores are low.

Nevertheless, the main point of this post is that a person with this breakdown would have to tell everyone, "I scored a 28-30." For whatever reason, people think of a score of 30 as much, much better than a score of 28, even though there is only a difference of two points.

The difference between 13 and 15 is only a couple of questions so it really should be interpreted as about the same due to variance.

I got a 13 on all the sections of the test and I want to retake the test because I want to get 15. :laugh: