If you got a 13-15 on verbal....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by qweewq11, Jul 17, 2002.

1. qweewq11

qweewq11 Smiley orgy organizer

Let's say you got 13-15V, 1PS, 1BS (theoretical example), and someone asked for your MCAT scores.

Is that score considered an overall 17? Or 15? Or 15-17? Just curious, especially since in the AAMC book they have a table with overall MCAT scores and they don't specify...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. md_student2b

md_student2b Member

I thought it was impossible to get a 1 on the PS or BS, anyways...

I had a friend who got the 13-15 on the vaunted verbal and an 11 and 12 on the sciences. When people asked, he said he got a 36-38. I think AMCAS reports the scores including the range, how a school interprets it is beyond me, but I would think they'd consider anyone with a 13-15 on the verbal as quite outstanding.

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Senior Member

I have a hunch that schools receive percentiles (I was able to peek at an interviewer's file).

5. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member

I'd lie- better to be seen as dumb than a verbal nerd!!! :) --Trek

6. Mudd

Mudd Charlatan & Trouble Maker

I'd assume they'd redirect your application to law school or the new Target store they are opening up around the corner. I'm not sure how law school would work, but I believe the manager at the local Target would interpret that as a 15, and not a 15-17... so they could start you at minimum wage rather than $7.50 an hour.

7. qweewq11

Hmm let me rephrase this so that it is more realistic:

Scores: 13-15, 10B, 10V.

Total score? 35? 33? 33-35?

8. Rezul

Rezul Portuguese Momma

If someone asked me what I got and I had those scores, I'd just say "better than you did". The person wouldn't ask any further questions I'm sure :D

Rezul

9. jot

jot

most people say the range - but then again, most people that ask don't know what the score means. i'd just tell them you got an A+ and a golden star.:)

10. Laura JC

Resident [Any Field]
    I had a 13-15 on Verbal, and it was interpreted as 13 on everything I ever saw with my total score on it.

11. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!

Attending Physician
    I consider a 13 a perfect score, especially since I can't seem to get over a 10 on a practice test or on the real thing.

12. doctorivy

doctorivy Junior Member

I got a 13-15 on verbal and when I printed the AMCAS (last year) it was reported as a 13. I think that schools receive an explaination and know that 13 means the top score.

13. thesaint

thesaint Member

14. Doctor Octopus

Doctor Octopus Hospitalist

Resident [Any Field]
    I wanted to believe my score was 33-35 because having that 35 in there makes it sound better. In reality, its a 33 :( ,
    On second thought :clap: . 33 is great. Don't worry.

15. qweewq11

I guess it's just annoying since next year it's possible to get a 15.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. rainmkre

rainmkre Junior Member

yeah...i need help too....JUMBALIA:clap:

18. md_student2b

md_student2b Member

I think the medical schools recieve score reports similar to our own... in my open-file UCLA interview, my interviewer knew exactly what I had on all my previous MCAT attempts and commented about it.

19. Smoke This

Smoke This Sweet cuppin' cakes!

You for real, player? :confused:

20. California

California Senior Member

I think it would be very unfortunate for a person to receive a total score of 28-30 on the MCAT with the following breakdown:

Verbal: 13-15
    Physical Sciences: 7
    Biological Sciences: 8

I strongly believe a score of 30 is a big cut-off for many applicants at many medical schools. (I understand there are also many applicants with a score below 30; however, I think more *competitive* applicants are those that score 30 and higher. Please do not flame me for this if you disagree. I am just offering my humble opinion and what many successful applicants have shared with me.) I don't think many medical schools are forgiving to applicants that have scored very high on the Verbal Section while much poorer on the Physical and Biological Sciences Sections. I wish this wasn't the case. In my opinion, any person who scores 13-15 on the Verbal Section deserves to be accepted to medical school, even if their other scores are low.

Nevertheless, the main point of this post is that a person with this breakdown would have to tell everyone, "I scored a 28-30." For whatever reason, people think of a score of 30 as much, much better than a score of 28, even though there is only a difference of two points.

21. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor

Attending Physician
    sweet!

22. wgu

wgu Senior Member

The difference between 13 and 15 is only a couple of questions so it really should be interpreted as about the same due to variance.

23. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member

I got a 13 on all the sections of the test and I want to retake the test because I want to get 15. :laugh: