Quantcast

If you got a 13-15 on verbal....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qweewq11

Smiley orgy organizer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Let's say you got 13-15V, 1PS, 1BS (theoretical example), and someone asked for your MCAT scores.

Is that score considered an overall 17? Or 15? Or 15-17? Just curious, especially since in the AAMC book they have a table with overall MCAT scores and they don't specify...

md_student2b

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought it was impossible to get a 1 on the PS or BS, anyways...

I had a friend who got the 13-15 on the vaunted verbal and an 11 and 12 on the sciences. When people asked, he said he got a 36-38. I think AMCAS reports the scores including the range, how a school interprets it is beyond me, but I would think they'd consider anyone with a 13-15 on the verbal as quite outstanding.

darkmatter

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a hunch that schools receive percentiles (I was able to peek at an interviewer's file).

Trek

Grand Uranium Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd lie- better to be seen as dumb than a verbal nerd!!! :) --Trek

Mudd

Charlatan & Trouble Maker
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd assume they'd redirect your application to law school or the new Target store they are opening up around the corner. I'm not sure how law school would work, but I believe the manager at the local Target would interpret that as a 15, and not a 15-17... so they could start you at minimum wage rather than $7.50 an hour.

qweewq11

Smiley orgy organizer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hmm let me rephrase this so that it is more realistic:

Scores: 13-15, 10B, 10V.

Total score? 35? 33? 33-35?

Rezul

Portuguese Momma
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If someone asked me what I got and I had those scores, I'd just say "better than you did". The person wouldn't ask any further questions I'm sure :D

Rezul

J

jot

most people say the range - but then again, most people that ask don't know what the score means. i'd just tell them you got an A+ and a golden star.:)

Laura JC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a 13-15 on Verbal, and it was interpreted as 13 on everything I ever saw with my total score on it.

SolidGold

Florida winters are the best!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I consider a 13 a perfect score, especially since I can't seem to get over a 10 on a practice test or on the real thing.

doctorivy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 13-15 on verbal and when I printed the AMCAS (last year) it was reported as a 13. I think that schools receive an explaination and know that 13 means the top score.

Doctor Octopus

Hospitalist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to believe my score was 33-35 because having that 35 in there makes it sound better. In reality, its a 33 :( ,
On second thought :clap: . 33 is great. Don't worry.

qweewq11

Smiley orgy organizer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess it's just annoying since next year it's possible to get a 15.

rainmkre

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
yeah...i need help too....JUMBALIA:clap:

md_student2b

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think the medical schools recieve score reports similar to our own... in my open-file UCLA interview, my interviewer knew exactly what I had on all my previous MCAT attempts and commented about it.

Smoke This

Sweet cuppin' cakes!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by qweewq11
I guess it's just annoying since next year it's possible to get a 15.
You for real, player? :confused:

California

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it would be very unfortunate for a person to receive a total score of 28-30 on the MCAT with the following breakdown:

Verbal: 13-15
Physical Sciences: 7
Biological Sciences: 8

I strongly believe a score of 30 is a big cut-off for many applicants at many medical schools. (I understand there are also many applicants with a score below 30; however, I think more *competitive* applicants are those that score 30 and higher. Please do not flame me for this if you disagree. I am just offering my humble opinion and what many successful applicants have shared with me.) I don't think many medical schools are forgiving to applicants that have scored very high on the Verbal Section while much poorer on the Physical and Biological Sciences Sections. I wish this wasn't the case. In my opinion, any person who scores 13-15 on the Verbal Section deserves to be accepted to medical school, even if their other scores are low.

Nevertheless, the main point of this post is that a person with this breakdown would have to tell everyone, "I scored a 28-30." For whatever reason, people think of a score of 30 as much, much better than a score of 28, even though there is only a difference of two points.

wgu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The difference between 13 and 15 is only a couple of questions so it really should be interpreted as about the same due to variance.