If you guys had 50 mill in the bank, would you go to med school?

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

so?

• yes

Votes: 88 65.2%
  • no

Votes: 46 34.1%

• Total voters

Gleevec

Peter, those are Cheerios
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
Status (Visible)
Yeah I would, it would just be named after me.

About the Ads

Sharky

Shark
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2001
Shark World
Status (Visible)
If I had that much money, I would buy an MD degree. I would throw in a little extra if they included the PhD with it.

crazy250

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2003
Berkeley, CA
Status (Visible)
yes, i would because i want help people. :p no matter how rich you still need a job. Bill gates has much more than this and he still works.

chitown

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2004
Status (Visible)
i would take a couple years off. Buy a sports team (Bears), Marry a supermodel , travel the world, then go back to medschool if the mood should strike me.

JohnHolmes

Large Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2003
Status (Visible)
Yes, I would.

My life's goal is to prescribe medical marijuana for the many teenagers hopelessly afflicted with glaucoma.

CCW

Mr. Rosewater

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2003
erf
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by chitown
i would take a couple years off. Buy a sports team (Bears), Marry a supermodel , travel the world, then go back to medschool if the mood should strike me.

both sports teams, and supermodels cost more than 50 mill.

DrJ2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
NY
Status (Visible)
No doubt! There are so many children with cancer I hope to help. I can use the money for research! :)

Big Papa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2004
Chicago
Status (Visible)
That depends, if you catch the bears on a good year, then you are right, but if you catch them on a bad year, you are wrong.

GO BEARS!:clap:

About the Ads

docmemi

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2003
Los Angeles, Calif.
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by DrJ2B
No doubt! There are so many children with cancer I hope to help. I can use the money for research! :)

now that is a committment...use the money for your research. good for you if youre serious!

docmemi

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2003
Los Angeles, Calif.
Status (Visible)
here is another question someone once asked me...

would you still be a dr if you lived in a poor country where drs are paid very little but respected a lot (i think thats true in the philliapenes).

all i could say back to her is that im not doing this for the money, that there are many other ways, like real estate, to make big bucks in if i wanted. and anyway if i lived elsewhere my entire life story and passions would be very different to begin with so her question is impossible to answer.

she answered back to me, no, i dont think you would be!

...pissed me off. what would you say to her?

Gleevec

Peter, those are Cheerios
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
Status (Visible)
Oh yeah, I would also buy an NFL and NBA franchise to boot.

Though Id have to invest the money first and make a huge return.

Spitting Camel

Anteater for Life!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
'Eaterville
Status (Visible)
Yes, but I would work for free somewhere that really needed me. Maybe even go abroad to my country of origin and work there for free... That would be a dream come true.

Jeffy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2002
Status (Visible)
I would have busted my ass off too much at this point to not go to med school. i'd feel like such a bum if i didn't have a job. besides, medicine is more of a 'career' than a job anyway. i'd get pleasure from pursuing my career.

coldchemist

Biowulf
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2003
UAB
hrem.nci.nih.gov
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
Originally posted by crazy250
yes, i would because i want help people. :p no matter how rich you still need a job. Bill gates has much more than this and he still works.

And he's an incredible philanthropist!

I would most likely go to medical school anyway...but I'd probably put myself through flight school first!

RAwe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2004
Status (Visible)
I would certainly go to med school, you can still pursue a passion while being rich, physical things alone can't fulfill you for long. The good thing is that I won't have to worry about the loans and where I would find the capital to start my own practice.

exgatr

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by RAwe
I would certainly go to med school, you can still pursue a passion while being rich, physical things alone can't fulfill you for long. The good thing is that I won't have to worry about the loans and where I would find the capital to start my own practice.

I second that. I would use the money to buy a nice house and car for med school though.

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
id go, and then i wouldnt feel any pangs about becoming a FP.

emily69

going a bit crazy here
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
Status (Visible)
My Dad always said to me: Find something you would do even if you had all the money in the world because that is what we call a "career" - anything else is just a "job".

My silent response: I guess that's why they call them blowJ*bs, not blowcareers... But in all seriousness, though, I give them credit for steering me in the general direction of fulfillment by letting me know that early on in my life! Go Dad!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.