If you had $10k how would you support your indecisive young wife love for animals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueparadise

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

I sought this forum to ask for help from those of you who have been in this fierce pursuit for your animal passion. I've browsed around, and while I found stick threads to "what are my chances", the potential of masters, gap years, vet techs and whatnot I couldn't find one that comes from someone trying to help instead. So I am sharing a bit of us, in the hope that someone can relate or assist.

I am a Ph.D. student in computer science, and my 20ish soon to be bachelor's in christian/biology wife will be moving and applying soon to where I am located. I am one of those lucky students to not only earn an education through a tuition waiver but also make a savings account out of it. If you've played this game before, you would know you plan your life around grants based on your savings, not on your next month paycheck. Those $10k are what I can afford for her from my Ms.

My wife loves animals but has just about 300 hours of volunteer hours (An animal shelter walking dogs ; an animal shelter assisting a certified vet ; a paid job as a dog canel technician), a 3.2 GPA and a 3.0 Science GPA. The short amount is due to her limited possibilities in her tiny country town and her hopes to graduate without loans by working over 60h on the summer. Couple that to leaving a "spiritual bubble" from a conservative family, and there you have it someone who is barely learning what is like to plan her own life to achieve long-plan dreams.

In the place where she will be moving we have the following possibilities to her:

• 2 years vet tech
  • A 2 years Masters
    • Animal Science
    • Marine Biology
    • Zoology
  • Take one year off to allow for change of residency and cut down potential $5k / $1500 per class costs (Masters / Vet tech respectively) or invest the first year with just a few credits on a higher cost and change residency for the following years either on the masters or vet tech.
She is indecisive on what to do between tech and masters, since she can't make her mind between tech and vet school, and in order to apply for the following Fall, she needs to send documents by Feb of the next year. However, depending on the route, and limited time, preparations need to be made way ahead of time and a choice needs to be taken. This is where I am stuck in how to help her.

How would you allocate $10k if this was yours to increase your prospects? More importantly, how would you expose yourself so you could make a firm decision of what you want? What questions would you ask yourself? If you considered yourself not mature enough to make the decision at the point you had to, how would you force yourself into obtaining that maturity? I've read the tiny basics of the differences, but that didn't help on helping her discern.

A Masters would have the chance of earning her a tuition waiver and stipend, which would likely lead to savings if she would get into a vet school, and perhaps research experience to get some sort of scholarship and diminish the costs, but I worry about her ability to find a research professor since her research experience is close to null (a few symposium papers on her tiny school) and that obession for research seems to be missing on her. Vet tech makes me wonder if the biology degree would be considered waste of money in the end since here it is not required. I imagine you would know the rest of pros/cons better than I do taking into account her GPA and amount of volunteer hours.

Being someone far deep into an education path, I worry that if time expires the savings will be sitting in the bank unused, I will be making further education and my wife will still work her exhausting 60h on minimum wage job without any progress on her animal career. In so far it has not been a nice future to imagine, I am out of idea and we are running out of time. This is how I found this place, and why I am sharing this here.

Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Dear all,

I sought this forum to ask for help from those of you who have been in this fierce pursuit for your animal passion. I've browsed around, and while I found stick threads to "what are my chances", the potential of masters, gap years, vet techs and whatnot I couldn't find one that comes from someone trying to help instead. So I am sharing a bit of us, in the hope that someone can relate or assist.

I am a Ph.D. student in computer science, and my 20ish soon to be bachelor's in christian/biology wife will be moving and applying soon to where I am located. I am one of those lucky students to not only earn an education through a tuition waiver but also make a savings account out of it. If you've played this game before, you would know you plan your life around grants based on your savings, not on your next month paycheck. Those $10k are what I can afford for her from my Ms.

My wife loves animals but has just about 300 hours of volunteer hours (An animal shelter walking dogs ; an animal shelter assisting a certified vet ; a paid job as a dog canel technician), a 3.2 GPA and a 3.0 Science GPA. The short amount is due to her limited possibilities in her tiny country town and her hopes to graduate without loans by working over 60h on the summer. Couple that to leaving a "spiritual bubble" from a conservative family, and there you have it someone who is barely learning what is like to plan her own life to achieve long-plan dreams.

In the place where she will be moving we have the following possibilities to her:

• 2 years vet tech
  • A 2 years Masters
    • Animal Science
    • Marine Biology
    • Zoology
  • Take one year off to allow for change of residency and cut down potential $5k / $1500 per class costs (Masters / Vet tech respectively) or invest the first year with just a few credits on a higher cost and change residency for the following years either on the masters or vet tech.
She is indecisive on what to do between tech and masters, since she can't make her mind between tech and vet school, and in order to apply for the following Fall, she needs to send documents by Feb of the next year. However, depending on the route, and limited time, preparations need to be made way ahead of time and a choice needs to be taken. This is where I am stuck in how to help her.

How would you allocate $10k if this was yours to increase your prospects? More importantly, how would you expose yourself so you could make a firm decision of what you want? What questions would you ask yourself? If you considered yourself not mature enough to make the decision at the point you had to, how would you force yourself into obtaining that maturity? I've read the tiny basics of the differences, but that didn't help on helping her discern.

A Masters would have the chance of earning her a tuition waiver and stipend, which would likely lead to savings if she would get into a vet school, and perhaps research experience to get some sort of scholarship and diminish the costs, but I worry about her ability to find a research professor since her research experience is close to null (a few symposium papers on her tiny school) and that obession for research seems to be missing on her. Vet tech makes me wonder if the biology degree would be considered waste of money in the end since here it is not required. I imagine you would know the rest of pros/cons better than I do taking into account her GPA and amount of volunteer hours.

Being someone far deep into an education path, I worry that if time expires the savings will be sitting in the bank unused, I will be making further education and my wife will still work her exhausting 60h on minimum wage job without any progress on her animal career. In so far it has not been a nice future to imagine, I am out of idea and we are running out of time. This is how I found this place, and why I am sharing this here.

Thank you for your time!

Question I would ask myself if deciding: What do I want to do with my life? Technicians have a very different role than veterinarians. If she wants to pursue vet school, she should consider retaking pre-reqs she has a C or less in. A Masters degree isn't a career decision; I would have an end goal before pursuing further education. We can't decide for her, and unfortunately there is no way to instantly grow maturity in someone.

The savings won't go anywhere in a bank account, so leave them be. Don't use up $10k on a hastily made decision.

Thank you for the quick reply redhead. Maybe I express myself a bit poorly on the $10k. I am more worried that outside school she would not be making any progress or exposing herself enough to make one. For instance, at least for the technician association it seemed you could only get involved if you were in a course. In a Animal Science masters on the other hand, she would be considered a student and have a mentor for counceling. She would also have access to student clubs, such as pre-vet, and perhaps more exposure while under a grant saving for a vet med if she decide to do later, by using perhaps $5k out of the $10k which would be paid back easily if she got herself a grant as well. While volunteering is a inexpensive alternative, I doubt working full time would leave much room for that and experience has proven hard for her to get a paid job related to clinic. Therefore, my burning agony is more about if "leaving her be" out of any education is the best investment/decision before it is too late to even consider anything.

Kind Regards

Members don't see this ad :)
I am more worried that outside school she would not be making any progress or exposing herself enough to make one...Therefore, my burning agony is more about if "leaving her be" out of any education is the best investment/decision before it is too late to even consider anything.

How does she feel about all of this? What does she want to do with her life? SDN is great for help regarding vet school admissions and such, but we can't answer that most basic question for her, and until she does answer that question it's difficult to advise what direction to go or what to do to get to that point.

Thank you for the quick reply redhead. Maybe I express myself a bit poorly on the $10k. I am more worried that outside school she would not be making any progress or exposing herself enough to make one. For instance, at least for the technician association it seemed you could only get involved if you were in a course. In a Animal Science masters on the other hand, she would be considered a student and have a mentor for counceling. She would also have access to student clubs, such as pre-vet, and perhaps more exposure while under a grant saving for a vet med if she decide to do later, by using perhaps $5k out of the $10k which would be paid back easily if she got herself a grant as well. While volunteering is a inexpensive alternative, I doubt working full time would leave much room for that and experience has proven hard for her to get a paid job related to clinic. Therefore, my burning agony is more about if "leaving her be" out of any education is the best investment/decision before it is too late to even consider anything.

Kind Regards

I think she needs to shadow at a clinic AT LEAST 24-48 hrs to get an idea of what the differing professions do. You don't have to be involved in the associations. In fact, I'm not sure what benefits they would have for her. The pre-vet club *may* be slightly different. I just think she needs to get some minor experience before deciding.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you both for your replies:

How does she feel about all of this? What does she want to do with her life? SDN is great for help regarding vet school admissions and such, but we can't answer that most basic question for her, and until she does answer that question it's difficult to advise what direction to go or what to do to get to that point.

I think that answer, in a vague level is clear: She wants to work with animals, and she does not want to be an assistant (in the sense of, the certificate you get before technician, not in the sense of having someone above you or not). The problem we have been facing is that her biology major did not give her enough exposure to well, animal related sciences. Me, without any baseline to compare (ahem, computers don't bark often), can't tell if her veterinarian experience as a volunteer really is exposing her to everything she could be to make the best-informed decision. Hence my concern. I also think I can do better than just tell her to think harder of her life goals. This I've been doing over the last few months. The reason why I was prompted to post this here was actually a few questions in another post that actually helped think more precisely on the matter:

• What do you imagine yourself doing?
  • Are you interested in the scientific process and figuring out whats going on based on the facts you are presented with, or do you want to be the one getting the information and nursing the animals back to health based on the veterinarians diagnosis.
  • Do you absolutely want to do surgery?
  • Do you like neurology?
  • internal medicine?
  • orthopedics?
  • emergency?
  • small/large animal?
  • zoo animal?

Other things I've seen as a strong weight factor has been:

• vet school debt x low paycheck for vet techs
  • be your own boss versus listening to the vet all the time (and be constrained by what he decides what you can and not do which apparently varies a lot)
  • military after vet school (saw for vet but am not sure if technicians can also participate)
  • further career education as a vet versus a technician (which seems to also be able to expand a bit on certificates and whatnot or become a technologist to which to this point I am clueless other than the extra 2 years to a total of 4 how much makes a difference)
This is what I am looking for assistance on. Surprisingly, her school counceling on career has been entirely useless and went as far as concluding she knew what she wanted very precisely.

I think she needs to shadow at a clinic AT LEAST 24-48 hrs to get an idea of what the differing professions do. You don't have to be involved in the associations. In fact, I'm not sure what benefits they would have for her. The pre-vet club *may* be slightly different. I just think she needs to get some minor experience before deciding.

Maybe I expressed myself poorly, but I believe over the 300h she did spend at least 48 hours in the clinic. However, from what I saw one day and from what she tells me, she shadows her vet fixing cats, or most of the time she is cleaning dirty towels. In the dogs building, she walked dogs most of the time, ranging from the most docile to the most aggressive, shy ones and whatnot. Mostly it involved taking notes how the dog behaved so they would tag the dog risk appropriately.

Is this usually all the exposure one needs/gets and is able to make an informed decision on what to do? I've been trying to look around the forum if anyone usually gets stuck in this situation, but it seems mostly are dead sure and are holding back more because of the debt. I imagine getting into a clinic such as a VCA may yield into bigger groups to be exposed to, but its not easy to get inside one of those, especially when you have to work 60 hours to pay your tuition.

I also do not know if, considering she is in a 3.2 GPA and 3.0 GPA, where her science classes are mostly Bs and a C- in Organic Chemistry II (which apparently is a massive deal for vet schools), shouldn't be better off going for the Masters regardless to fix her grades and use her likely more flexible free time to spend doing volunteer work (this post suggested it would be her best bet).

Maybe I expressed myself poorly, but I believe over the 300h she did spend at least 48 hours in the clinic. However, from what I saw one day and from what she tells me, she shadows her vet fixing cats, or most of the time she is cleaning dirty towels. In the dogs building, she walked dogs most of the time, ranging from the most docile to the most aggressive, shy ones and whatnot. Mostly it involved taking notes how the dog behaved so they would tag the dog risk appropriately.

Is this usually all the exposure one needs/gets and is able to make an informed decision on what to do? I've been trying to look around the forum if anyone usually gets stuck in this situation, but it seems mostly are dead sure and are holding back more because of the debt. I imagine getting into a clinic such as a VCA may yield into bigger groups to be exposed to, but its not easy to get inside one of those, especially when you have to work 60 hours to pay your tuition.

no. Not volunteering. Shadowing. as in only following the vet around.

If you volunteer you get the cleaning tasks. If you shadow, you get to see what the vet actually does and ask questions.

Also, unless your state requires tech certification, it's not really worth it. Cost is quite a bit increased for those degrees, too (considering their earning potential).

A Masters would have the chance of earning her a tuition waiver and stipend

Others have already covered the main things, but this detail stood out to me. Although it's common enough to be fully funded and have a stipend in a PhD program, I have NEVER heard of anyone getting a full tuition waiver plus stipend for just a Masters program. I've had a few classmates in the humanities win some scholarships that covered a portion of tuition and I've heard of students arguing their way into a small grant or TA position (my husband did this), but the kind of funding that PhD students get is nearly unheard of for Masters students. I absolutely would not count on her Masters even being paid for. I'd assume she'd be paying entirely out of pocket.

Others have already covered the main things, but this detail stood out to me. Although it's common enough to be fully funded and have a stipend in a PhD program, I have NEVER heard of anyone getting a full tuition waiver plus stipend for just a Masters program. I've had a few classmates in the humanities win some scholarships that covered a portion of tuition and I've heard of students arguing their way into a small grant or TA position (my husband did this), but the kind of funding that PhD students get is nearly unheard of for Masters students. I absolutely would not count on her Masters even being paid for. I'd assume she'd be paying entirely out of pocket.

It is actually common in Hawaii, you would be surprised. That is from where those $10k came from, in my Masters. I would step back on her field, but in speaking face to face with department chairs and reading their online program they do motivate students to get either a teacher assistantship or research assistantship. In fact one of the program registrars went as far as saying that "students who are in the program right now are mostly in that situation so you should encourage her to reach faculty"! Per university rules, those classify as graduate assistantships and come with waivers. However, you need to be rock solid on what you want to do and reach a professor before you apply. The heavy majority of students who graduate from bachelors tend to be clueless, do not know how to read research work or word it properly. Most faculty here have grants, and when they don't you can try working for another and get funded for other department (my case). So yes, the potential for her to have $10k by the time she graduate is there, since I know the game around. (I did wish I knew how to get all that funding from scholarships that some people get writing surveys everywhere). If you think that alone is enough reason to invest on that path please let me know :)

no. Not volunteering. Shadowing. as in only following the vet around.

If you volunteer you get the cleaning tasks. If you shadow, you get to see what the vet actually does and ask questions.

Also, unless your state requires tech certification, it's not really worth it. Cost is quite a bit increased for those degrees, too (considering their earning potential).

This is great advice, thank you. I did not realize the difference and much less time cleaning towels means less time seeing what is going on, and I doubt she did either. I will check with her on that. Also, this consideration of the technician I was unaware of. I believe Hawaii has less restrictions on that regard. I will investigate further and see how much difference that makes!

It is actually common in Hawaii, you would be surprised. That is from where those $10k came from, in my Masters. I would step back on her field, but in speaking face to face with department chairs and reading their online program they do motivate students to get either a teacher assistantship or research assistantship. In fact one of the program registrars went as far as saying that "students who are in the program right now are mostly in that situation so you should encourage her to reach faculty"! Per university rules, those classify as graduate assistantships and come with waivers. However, you need to be rock solid on what you want to do and reach a professor before you apply. The heavy majority of students who graduate from bachelors tend to be clueless, do not know how to read research work or word it properly. Most faculty here have grants, and when they don't you can try working for another and get funded for other department (my case). So yes, the potential for her to have $10k by the time she graduate is there, since I know the game around. (I did wish I knew how to get all that funding from scholarships that some people get writing surveys everywhere). If you think that alone is enough reason to invest on that path please let me know :)

This is great advice, thank you. I did not realize the difference and much less time cleaning towels means less time seeing what is going on, and I doubt she did either. I will check with her on that. Also, this consideration of the technician I was unaware of. I believe Hawaii has less restrictions on that regard. I will investigate further and see how much difference that makes!
I worked at a clinic down there - they were very happy to let me shadow and volunteer (private clinic so mostly small animal stuff). She may just need to ask a couple of local clinics.

I think you've missed some of the points made. The only way to determine whether or not you want to be a vet or a tech or not at all is to get exposure. The best and most common way to get exposure is to volunteer/shadow at a clinic or start with an entry level job like kennel tech or assistant. A vast majority of people start this way in this field. Few people take the kennel tech or assistant job with the intention of staying in that title forever, but it is a natural starting place because it requires little technical skill, less training, and ultimately allows an employer to get to know you and potentially teach you.

As to whether or not someone should go to tech school or pursue a master's if they might be interested in these fields long term, I think you might be putting the card before the horse a bit. I'm the grand scheme of things, 300 hours is not a lot (particularly given the nature of most of that experience) to make decisions on what field to pursue, although admittedly there are people who get into vet school with similar numbers. Going to tech school isn't really going to help you get into vet school, and getting a master's isn't going to help you become a tech. Both programs are very expensive, and require a lot of prep work. Neither should be taken on without significant forethought. You might be placing too much pressure on the timeline.

Basically, it's impossible for anyone to make the decision for her when it comes down to what she wants for a career. Its not an easy road for either and takes significant consideration, although it is easier and less costly potentially to get out of the vet tech field than the vet field. It sounds like she needs more veterinary experience in general to help her decide. That ultimately requires time and patience.

Oh and one other thing - a majority of veterinarians are not their own bosses. A lot of people work as associates for private clinics or corporate practices. You may be required to practice in a certain manner whether you like it or not. Yes you can choose not to be employed some place you don't like, but sometimes that's not a feasible option (i.e. it would require moving a family that can't move, etc.).

Reactions: 1 users
I worked at a clinic down there - they were very happy to let me shadow and volunteer (private clinic so mostly small animal stuff). She may just need to ask a couple of local clinics.

Thank you I will let she know that before she crash on bed after work :)

I think you've missed some of the points made. The only way to determine whether or not you want to be a vet or a tech or not at all is to get exposure. The best and most common way to get exposure is to volunteer/shadow at a clinic or start with an entry level job like kennel tech or assistant. A vast majority of people start this way in this field. Few people take the kennel tech or assistant job with the intention of staying in that title forever, but it is a natural starting place because it requires little technical skill, less training, and ultimately allows an employer to get to know you and potentially teach you.

As to whether or not someone should go to tech school or pursue a master's if they might be interested in these fields long term, I think you might be putting the card before the horse a bit. I'm the grand scheme of things, 300 hours is not a lot (particularly given the nature of most of that experience) to make decisions on what field to pursue, although admittedly there are people who get into vet school with similar numbers. Going to tech school isn't really going to help you get into vet school, and getting a master's isn't going to help you become a tech. Both programs are very expensive, and require a lot of prep work. Neither should be taken on without significant forethought. You might be placing too much pressure on the timeline.

Basically, it's impossible for anyone to make the decision for her when it comes down to what she wants for a career. Its not an easy road for either and takes significant consideration, although it is easier and less costly potentially to get out of the vet tech field than the vet field. It sounds like she needs more veterinary experience in general to help her decide. That ultimately requires time and patience.

Oh and one other thing - a majority of veterinarians are not their own bosses. A lot of people work as associates for private clinics or corporate practices. You may be required to practice in a certain manner whether you like it or not. Yes you can choose not to be employed some place you don't like, but sometimes that's not a feasible option (i.e. it would require moving a family that can't move, etc.).

I see what you mean. My main concern was whether or not time spent outside school or in school would lead to better decision making, or if just staying out of school while doing volunteer work and shadowing would eventually lead to her to realize or if it would be slower or with lower chances to come to a decision point. Now, there is one thing I would want you to weight on what you mentioned: Masters are only a considerable investment without tuition waivers and stipends.

If she does get admitted in a Masters here, I am expecting it to be not only free but paid (as weird or unusual as it may seem from the impressions I've got, I can speak for my case here and from what I digged). As far as the vet tech investment is concerned...well....honestly I didn't consider all that expensive paying $135 per credit if you are a resident. That's about $405 per class and $1200 for 3 classes/ 9 credits to advance your career in U.S. ; Considering all the big numbers jumping on my face about vet school I found it really inexpensive if it means you moving to higher exposure in work and a potential paycheck away from a general job which would help in volunteer hours anyway.

However, if you do think choosing either of them would actually get in the way instead of helping the decision, then it defeats the purpose. I just want to make clear in this scenario, the finances are not so big of a concern as it is for other students trying to decide. I still am unclear as well if a Masters wouldn't actually be a heavily good investment if grants to research assistants are available in school, as it is for a student in a masters program.

She did spend this summer as a kennel technician, at least a year in a clinic (albeit only once every weekend) and similarly to the dog kennel. What I've found was because her general (and paying job) was getting in the way, she couldn't get any more exposure. Hence why I considered the education either giving her more free time while paid (masters with grant) or switching to a technician to have higher odds to land in a paid job in a clinic and get more exposure. I am not obsessed on what she does and when she does, just worried if we are losing an opportunity on she staying entirely out of school considering finances are not terrible scary as is.

Thank you for all the input, it helps a lot trust me :)

That's about $405 per class and $1200 for 3 classes/ 9 credits to advance your career in U.S. ; Considering all the big numbers jumping on my face about vet school I found it really inexpensive if it means you moving to higher exposure in work and a potential paycheck away from a general job which would help in volunteer hours anyway.
You have to consider the costs of the degree with the increase in earnings.

I used to teach at a tech school. The cost of tuition (it was a 2 year program) wouldn't account for the difference between untrained and trained for over 10 years. there's only usually a difference of a $1-2/hour and untrained can earn that with longevity in the field.

You have to consider the costs of the degree with the increase in earnings.

I used to teach at a tech school. The cost of tuition (it was a 2 year program) wouldn't account for the difference between untrained and trained for over 10 years. there's only usually a difference of a $1-2/hour and untrained can earn that with longevity in the field.

What about the kind of activities you were allowed to do after obtaining the technician and your prospects to land a job where you wanted, regardless of the paycheck difference? These are the two points where I was wondering if anything would change for her. "The expected return" to me wasn't on the paycheck, but on the things, she could then do. For instance, as is, it's terribly difficult for her to enter a VCA clinic, but they get technicians all the time. However, I am unable to assess this since it is not my field. What were your feelings on this?

What about the kind of activities you were allowed to do after obtaining the technician and your prospects to land a job where you wanted, regardless of the paycheck difference? These are the two points where I was wondering if anything would change for her. "The expected return" to me wasn't on the paycheck, but on the things, she could then do. For instance, as is, it's terribly difficult for her to enter a VCA clinic, but they get technicians all the time. However, I am unable to assess this since it is not my field. What were your feelings on this?
They don't usually differ. But that depends on state law.

They don't usually differ. But that depends on state law.

Is there a website that more explicitly go over the possibilities on the different state laws? I am mostly curious about Hawaii and California. This kind of information at least to me is always insanely hard to find since I don't even know the words to throw on the search engine.

Is there a website that more explicitly go over the possibilities on the different state laws? I am mostly curious about Hawaii and California. This kind of information at least to me is always insanely hard to find since I don't even know the words to throw on the search engine.
you should be able to look through the NAVTA site to get that info.

Thank you I will let she know that before she crash on bed after work :)

I see what you mean. My main concern was whether or not time spent outside school or in school would lead to better decision making, or if just staying out of school while doing volunteer work and shadowing would eventually lead to her to realize or if it would be slower or with lower chances to come to a decision point. Now, there is one thing I would want you to weight on what you mentioned: Masters are only a considerable investment without tuition waivers and stipends.

If she does get admitted in a Masters here, I am expecting it to be not only free but paid (as weird or unusual as it may seem from the impressions I've got, I can speak for my case here and from what I digged). As far as the vet tech investment is concerned...well....honestly I didn't consider all that expensive paying $135 per credit if you are a resident. That's about $405 per class and $1200 for 3 classes/ 9 credits to advance your career in U.S. ; Considering all the big numbers jumping on my face about vet school I found it really inexpensive if it means you moving to higher exposure in work and a potential paycheck away from a general job which would help in volunteer hours anyway.

However, if you do think choosing either of them would actually get in the way instead of helping the decision, then it defeats the purpose. I just want to make clear in this scenario, the finances are not so big of a concern as it is for other students trying to decide. I still am unclear as well if a Masters wouldn't actually be a heavily good investment if grants to research assistants are available in school, as it is for a student in a masters program.

She did spend this summer as a kennel technician, at least a year in a clinic (albeit only once every weekend) and similarly to the dog kennel. What I've found was because her general (and paying job) was getting in the way, she couldn't get any more exposure. Hence why I considered the education either giving her more free time while paid (masters with grant) or switching to a technician to have higher odds to land in a paid job in a clinic and get more exposure. I am not obsessed on what she does and when she does, just worried if we are losing an opportunity on she staying entirely out of school considering finances are not terrible scary as is.

Thank you for all the input, it helps a lot trust me :)
Even if you take finances completely out of it, you still need to consider the fains and losses of these programs. For example, if she does a masters or starts tech school and then she decides she wants to be a vet, she is potentially locked into these before she finishes. It is frowned upon by most schools to jump ship mid way, particularly in a masters. What will the masters get you? It might get you better gtades, but what if it doesnt? What if the schools you apply to would rather see the classes with Cs be retaken for better grades instead of a masters program? The classes take in tech school and a masters arent going to save eyou anything in vet school either, you will still be required to take their full curriculum. A tech in tech school will mostly get exposure to tech things and not the vet side of things, so thats not really a good way to get experience for vet school. Even the internships required while in tech school are very technically based (or so has been my experience with our mentorship programs).

Im certainly not saying not to pursue these programs, just that theres a lot more to consider, particularly if vet school ends up the ultimate goal and even if you take finances out of it. I thouht about pursuing a masters after undergrad when i wasnt initially accepted to vet school, and ultimately decided not to because of the extra financial burden, the significant los of time (potentially 2-3 years because the eprograms i was looking at wanted a masters to be completed before theyd accept you from a masters path), and then ultimately i was accepted that year. Had i not been accepted, my plan was to continue to work to get more exposure and potentially retake classes to boost low grades to strengthen my application. But none of that matters if you decide to go to tech school ;)

While state regulations will say what licensed vs unlicensed staff can do, there's still huge variability between practices -- even if a licensed tech is allowed to anesthetize animals (for instance), a clinic owner may choose not to let his/her technicians do that in his/her clinic. So rules will tell you what is possible, but not what it likely.

http://www.vmb.ca.gov/laws_regs/rvttasks.shtml
http://hawaiivetmed.org/veterinary-technicians-and-assistants/

Even if you take finances completely out of it, you still need to consider the fains and losses of these programs. For example, if she does a masters or starts tech school and then she decides she wants to be a vet, she is potentially locked into these before she finishes. It is frowned upon by most schools to jump ship mid way, particularly in a masters. What will the masters get you? It might get you better gtades, but what if it doesnt? What if the schools you apply to would rather see the classes with Cs be retaken for better grades instead of a masters program? The classes take in tech school and a masters arent going to save eyou anything in vet school either, you will still be required to take their full curriculum. A tech in tech school will mostly get exposure to tech things and not the vet side of things, so thats not really a good way to get experience for vet school. Even the internships required while in tech school are very technically based (or so has been my experience with our mentorship programs).

Im certainly not saying not to pursue these programs, just that theres a lot more to consider, particularly if vet school ends up the ultimate goal and even if you take finances out of it. I thouht about pursuing a masters after undergrad when i wasnt initially accepted to vet school, and ultimately decided not to because of the extra financial burden, the significant los of time (potentially 2-3 years because the eprograms i was looking at wanted a masters to be completed before theyd accept you from a masters path), and then ultimately i was accepted that year. Had i not been accepted, my plan was to continue to work to get more exposure and potentially retake classes to boost low grades to strengthen my application. But none of that matters if you decide to go to tech school ;)

Seems I lost notification of this post. Thank you so much for clarifying this, things are still undecided but all the advice certainly will help on her to decide.

While state regulations will say what licensed vs unlicensed staff can do, there's still huge variability between practices -- even if a licensed tech is allowed to anesthetize animals (for instance), a clinic owner may choose not to let his/her technicians do that in his/her clinic. So rules will tell you what is possible, but not what it likely.

http://www.vmb.ca.gov/laws_regs/rvttasks.shtml
http://hawaiivetmed.org/veterinary-technicians-and-assistants/

Thank you for the links!