If you had a choice, DO/MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

DOGBOY

I was hoping to get peoples thoughts on what they would do if they had the option to go to MD or DO school. Positives, negatives, potential problems down the line. Just looking for honest opinions. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If I got accepted at both places, I would DEFINTELY choose DO. I see DO as being an MD and then some. And I love the philosophy behind it. DO's rule!!!!!
rachel

Dogboy,
Check under the allopathic med student thread for many answers to your question that are already posted there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would take DO anyday. All the Allopaths have on DO's is prestige from the uninformed.

Let's not get haughty here. I am a DO student, and would never trade it for anything. However, the average DO practices EXACTLY the same as the average MD. this is sad, in my mind, because OMM is so valuable. However, there's no reason for competition between DO's and MD's.

I like both fields. I chose osteopathic medicine because I liked the philosophy and it's beliefs. I only applied to DO schools, not because I don't like allopathic schools, but because I like osteopathic medicine. I feel that it will suit me better personally.
One is not better than the other...
If I were you would go into either branch of medicine. Apply to both schools (If you can afford it). After all, as long as you treat patients and do the best you can possibly do, that's what matters the most.
Good luck,
Duke
smile.gif

Ah... the eternal struggle between DO and MD? Becoming a MD means that you have access to more opportunities in the medical field. Plus you will never ever have patients or friends ask you what the heck you are. But personally I would choose DO. You might not get the respect but I think in the long run it will be a more rewarding experience. Of course I could be wrong...

Dogboy,

Since you have accepted to NOVA and decided to come to Florida (the Sunshine state), if you can start all over again, what is your decision. Let us all know about your personal opinion.

[This message has been edited by Henry (edited 04-01-99).]